Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2002

chefmango is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

I am considering the purchase of an older (20-30 yo) C & C either a 36 or 38 for Ches. Bay. While I plan to do my dd,my first impression is that they mostly fall in the 45K to 60K range and look surprisingly good both in and out. Am I looking through rose colored binoculars or are they good value for the money. I would appreciate comments good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Check out www.cncphotoalbum.com

There is a wealth of info there on C&C boats. It is the opinion of some that the first C&Cs (25, 27, 30 & 35) *** esp. the 30 & 35
were among the best C&C boats ever built.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 09-20-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
older C & C''''s

And then there is the more widely held opinion that the C&C 30 in particular rivaled the Mega as one of C&C poorest designs. C&C''s are interesting boats. Most of the C&C line were performance oriented racer/cruisers, and most are at their best used for coastal work rather than ofshore as the tend to have been heavily shaped by the racing rule that they raced under. Because of their racing origins they tend to be a little lighter and perhaps more obsolete than more generalized designs of the same era. This has helped keep thier resale prices down a little bit.

C&C''s are generally well engineered (the Mega being the exception that jumps to mind).

They are not bad boats for the Chesapeake. My pet peave with the C&C''s is their tendancy toward small mainsails and huge genoas which requires a significantly larger and more expensive sail inventory and are a pain in the butt for short-handed sailing.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Jeff,

I own a C&C 30 MK1. I am new to sailing, but this is the first time I have ever heard anything bad said about the 30. Granted all boats have good and bad, but the 30 seems stiff, well built, comfortable, and you can find one at a great price if you shop around.

I have a newer main and 135 on the roller that holds its shape fairly well when roller reefed down to 100. What this means to me is that I have to reef the main less often. That sounds GOOD for single handing.

No it is not an off shore boat, but most boats aren''t. I do think it''s better built than many of the other production boats in its era. For New England sailing where the weather is bound to change in the next few minutes, I think its a good choice.

Your the guru and I hate to differ with you, but I just couldn''t help myself

Happy sailing

Rob
Old 09-20-2002
HANUMAN

older C & C''''s

Old 09-21-2002

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Rob:

I think you misunterstood Jeff. The Mega has no relationship to the C&C 30 you have - which is a design from the early 70''s. I believe the Mega was designed about 1975-76 (possibly in partnership with North Sails) and is trailerable with either a swing keel or centreboard. I''ll be kind and call it the black sheep of the C&C family (most call it an abortion). Good luck with your C&C 30.

Regards,

John.
Old 09-21-2002
HANUMAN

older C & C''''s

Hi,
I don''t think they are really any relation at all but... here is a cut and paste of what Jeff wrote:
Author: Jeff_H (burr.halpern@annapolis.net)
And then there is the more widely held opinion that the C&C 30 in particular rivaled the Mega as one of C&C poorest designs.

I''ve heard some bad things about the Mega and some very mixed reviews about the Landfall''s. I''ve even heard them refered to as "Landfill''s", but nothing really bad about the 30. In fact there is an article on CNCphotoalbum.com by an Ex- C&C employee refering to the 30 as possibly C&C''s best design ever.

On the other hand, 2 days ago I sailed on a 76 Catalina 25 that still had soft & sticky patches of gelcoat in the cabin (Is this possible?). This did not deduct from a great day of sailing!!

Get the best deal you can afford and start sailing. I own a GREAT 30'' sailboat and some days I wish I had a laser, other days I wish I had a seperate shower stall. Someday someone will design a laser with a seperate shower stall and I can single hand to Block Island without a hastle or waiting for crew to show up at the dock

Happy sailing,
Old 09-22-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Would concur With Jeff H about big gennies, especially with the C&C 38. Roller-furling could help tame that monster. It is a powerful boat, generally set up solidly so as to be able to handle rough weather and keep racing. Below, the layout of the 38 is also geared towards racing. You have a huge main cabin where the crew can chow down & talk around a nice table, bag the chute, cook, sleep and navigate. The separate head and forward cabin offer the only privacy. If you like the space and setup, the 38 has a refined look and able performance that can make you feel proud every time you sail her. The 36 has smaller spaces below, for perhaps a cozier feel, but the same main cabin/forward cabin setup. IMHO the 36 is more overtly a cruiser. Her sheer seems a bit more pronounced, and her performace isn''t quite as good as some of the other C&C''s. (A higher PHRF rating than the 35 attests to this.) We raced against a C&C35 last Friday night and were surprised to still be able to see them with us on Saturday morning. As Jeff H suggeste, they''re well put together for coastal cruising. An older (70''s MkI) C&C 35 that I''ve seen that had done the Bermuda race several times looked a bit tired. On the other hand, it still had nice lines and was ready to go again. If the boat will do what you want to do, surveys well, and the price is right, go for it!
Old 09-22-2002

chefmango is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Thanks all for the comments. This is not going to be a family boat so privacy and cruising comfort are not overt priorities. I would like to be comfortable with 2 or three others for short stints of aggressive day sailing and the occasional coastal cruise to the south. I have heard from others about C & C being overpowered in a gusty breeze so roller-furling was already a decision and I like the idea of a smaller main going in.
Old 09-22-2002

AHYC is on a distinguished road
older C & C''''s

Chef
I just finished my first year with a 38'' Mark 1. My wife and I have sailed under all conditions. We have a roller furler and we''ve had no problems with the large headsail. The boat has lots of room and we are very happy with the way it handles. I have no regrets whatsoever. The boat is a 1976 has aged gracefully and is well built.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.