Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
NEVER single hand, no one to bring you drinks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2009

soon2sail is on a distinguished road
I like the way you think! Okay, I don't usually open up so quickly, but I'm among friends, right? My other half just a couple of weeks ago decided that 22 years was Lomg enough with her other half and now, though I'll miss her landlubber ways, am ready to move on to the water I've missed so much for these past 2 decades. I'm not trying to escape. I'm just ready to run off win my second bride--the sea. So, all of my new helpful friends, I"m thankful for advice received and of that yet to come. When not working, I plan on being a devoted student to the sail and sea. I want to sleep at night to the heart beat of sea. Then, after learning to sail along the shorelines and hrogh the bays of the Gulf of Mexico, I want to sail without boundary. I need a lot of space because I have avery cool dog, a lot of camera gear and just in case a like-minded beautiful woman wants to join me some day. I think that covers all it requiremts. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-14-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
zanshin on here was sailing a Jeanneau 43 by himself, not has a 49 deck salon model, he has had out a few times over the last 2-3 weeks IIRC. He might have had a bow thruster on the 43, don;t quote me tho. Not sure the whole specs of the 49 off the top of my head. But a quote on the Jeanneau-owners site, he mentioned that the extra 6' was more than he thought it would be manuvering. I'm sure he will do fine figureing out tho.

For me, a mid 30' boat is plenty for what I do. For others, something bigger is nicer. I would also stick to a sloop style, or a ketch/yawl that is self tending for the most part. hanse has a few newer models that have self tending jibs, as does Tarten, which may rufle some feathers on mentioning this brand, but the 3400 or the 3700CCR setup have self tending jibs. Either should work for your needs, the 3700 is probably the better of the two, and if you go back to a 98-04 models would be best. The 3400 is new wit int he last 3 yrs or so, again go used.

marty
Old 01-14-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bummer...but I guess every cloud has a silver lining. So...if you want to cross oceans and only buy ONE boat...then you should be looking at bluewater boats in the 35-38' range. Check the sticky of bluewater boats here in posts #6 & 8 for some ideas then check yachtworld.com for some pictures and prices to help you begin to narrow things down.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...ry-2008-a.html

The upcoming Miami sailboat show might be a good place to get started if you're looking to kick things into high gear. Lots of new boats and sailing seminars as close proximity to all the brokerage boats in Miami & Ft. Lauderdale.
Strictly Sail

We're here when you need us.
Old 01-14-2009

Thanks again and sorry for the stupid typos. The rum & cokes are starting to wear off and I'm off that damn iphone.

Cheers
Old 01-14-2009

eric3a is on a distinguished road
Alain Colas sailed a 70m (210+ feet) 4 masted sailboat alone back years ago. Became "Phocea" later on.
The sailor (and money for the necessary systems) is a greater limiting factor than the boat in my opinion.

Since you don't know how to sail, may I politely suggest buying a live aboard in a reasonable range (28-32 feet) for cheap-ish AND a go out everyday dinghy type. Sunfish, laser (tricky for beginner). Learn wind/handling on the small boat.

In any case, no big fan of single handling sailing offshore passages as there is no way to properly comply with Colregs Rule 5.
Eric
Old 01-14-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2sail View Post
I need a lot of space because I have avery cool dog, a lot of camera gear and just in case a like-minded beautiful woman wants to join me some day. I think that covers all it requiremts. Thanks again for the help.
Ah, what you are really looking for is a chick magnet. A boat that a) reinforces the image of a roguish, devil-may-care adventurer while b) being suitably comfortable and homey enough that a woman will want to voyage to far off lands with you.

Good advice to get a smaller live-aboard and a dinghy to learn the fine art of sailing.

What is your budget? Don't tell me, just get a figure in your head. Now, cut it in half. Take that new figure, and go shopping on yachtworld. See what you can buy. The rest of your budget will go into refitting, and upgrading your new home, with some left over for lessons and a charter trip. No point buying the boat if you can't sail it, can't afford the upkeep and the unexpected. and if you decide that sailing is not the dream you thought it would be, you have some cash in your pocket to pursue your next dream while you sell off this one.
Old 01-15-2009

Sage advice! I can't wait to get started.
Old 01-15-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Even though my boat is only 27' I'd never single hand it.

I just hop on a Sunfish, Daysailor or Hobie when "I want to be alone!!"
Old 01-15-2009

MarthaT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2sail View Post
Sage advice! I can't wait to get started.
same here