Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yes, there have been people that have single handed 60-70' boats, but these boats were generally heavily and expensively customized to make them possible to singlehand, and the sailors involved were not your average sailors in most cases. Dee Caffari, Ellen McArthur, etc., are not your typical sailors.
Besides way better looking than you, what other assets do these lady's have?

At the speed those boats go, it takes someone in pretty good shape, stamina, etc to operate on of them at 15-25+ knots of boat speed in 20-30'+ waves............ My 30'r is not too bad, even at 6 knots, or just shy of hull speed in 1-2' waves. Like everything tho, work up to the max starting at the low end of the easy spectrum, and eventually, probably an aircraft carrier by one self might not be too bad..........

Marty
Old 01-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Besides way better looking than you, what other assets do these lady's have?

At the speed those boats go, it takes someone in pretty good shape, stamina, etc to operate on of them at 15-25+ knots of boat speed in 20-30'+ waves............
Yes, as I said they're not your average sailor.

Quote:
My 30'r is not too bad, even at 6 knots, or just shy of hull speed in 1-2' waves. Like everything tho, work up to the max starting at the low end of the easy spectrum, and eventually, probably an aircraft carrier by one self might not be too bad..........

Marty
Damn, your boat is really slow. Probably a good thing, since that way you can't out sail your brain. Actually, that might be a bit fast for you... I forgot who I was talking to...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2009

I can go as fast as I want, brain is empty! I try not to think, it pulls my one brain cell too hard, hurts etc..........

off to work, need to move a 1 ton tree that is 20' tall, 4'x4' diam root ball.....Nice semi little Japanese Maple!

marty
Old 01-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Is the ground frozen there??? If so, rotsa ruck...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I need a lot of space because I have avery cool dog
You probably want to get a cat for your dog.
I don't understand how any dog can be happy on a tilting monohull, although I'm sure there must be exceptions. They're probably not thrilled with a catamaran either, but at least you're fairly level and the dog can move about without acting like the drunken sailor.
Old 01-16-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
This reminds me of a conversation I had often in the early days of PCs. Since I had a computer before PCs came out people would always ask me what to buy. I always told them just buy a damn computer and not worry about if it is the right one. You don't know enough yet to even tell the difference, and there is no substitute for experience!
Old 01-16-2009

thesnort is on a distinguished road

Get one of these! It will teach you about balance on a boat and the sail insignia will let the world know that you're a male.
Old 01-18-2009

Dog,

Only in the midwest to mid-upper east coast is the ground solid. It is actually rather warm to a point around here, except in the mts, then it was upper teens to low twentys today.

Tree move did not go as well as I hoped, but it did get moved.

marty
Old 01-18-2009

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
Most points have been made in earlier posts but here's my 2 cents.

First, a big boat is probably the worst way to learn. In many ways they are more forgiving and you won't notice things, like trim and crew placement, that would make a difference in a small boat. It's not for nothing that many of the great big boat sailors, like Buddy Melges, are graduates of small boat racing. In things like docking, of course, big really can really cause problems. You need some experience then.

Second, once you learn to sail, you can probably single hand a boat that's bigger than you want. I met a guy in Saugatuck, Michigan who was single handing a 62 footer. The real question is how big a boat do you need. Then that decision gets complicated and requires some knowledge. I sailed my Pearson 30 alone for many years with no difficulty, even before I bought an autopilot. It was the perfect boat for what I was doing, which was day sailing and weekending. For extended cruising it was just too small for me, although I did live aboard for a while. When my wife and I went cruising for part of every year it was too much like camping, so we bought a bigger boat, an Islander Freeport 41. With the ketch rig, she's no harder to sail than the Pearson. The sails are about the same size and we have roller furling on the jib. An electric windlass takes the strain out of handling the anchor. There's plenty of room and, to tell the truth, she's probably a bit too big. Complexity and maintenance increase exponentially with size. Dockage costs more. Bigger is better, up to a point. Then it's just an un-necessary expense.

Good luck and best regards,

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Old 01-19-2009

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth: I've single handed the boss's 56 foot cutter. A LOT. That being said, it has electric winches, roller furling everything, bow thruster, etc. The only real problem is coming into a 'new' anchorage or dock. Then the pucker factor goes up.

My first rule of single handing? If you're not in the cabin, you have your SOSpenders on, and are attached to a jackline. That's all of the time, no matter the weather or conditions. Attach yourself solidly to the boat.