Sailmaster 26: any info? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2009 Thread Starter

Sailmaster 26: any info?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Sailmaster 26. Anyone out there know anything about this boat (construction, sailing character, numbers built, cored deck, etc.)? Appreciate any feedback.
- Ian
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2009

My buddy of mine in the boat club owns a mid 60's Sailmaster. Very Nautical looking boat with a wood mast and hanked on fore sail. His is swing keel and has had the outboard well fiberglassed in and has a Atomic 4 in is place. I have sailed many hours on his boat and the boat stands up to blow better than you would think, she points well and out sails her PRHF rating. Construction wise she is a solid boat. Bill Tripp knew what he was doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-18-2009

I have always liked these boats. These were the quinessential 1960's era MORC racer/cruisers. They were nicely built in the Netherlands and featured very nice fiberglass and wood work. They sailed very well for that era across a wide range of conditions, but obviously the better designed newer designs will sail better at the lighter and heavier end of the wind range. The centerboard (not really a swing keel as it was comparatively light) allowed reasonably good performance upwind and still allowed shallow draft.

These boats came in a number of versions including a weekender with a spartan trunk type cabin and a 'cruising version' with the Tripp swoop type doghouse and trunk cabin. Accompdations were simple but workable. They came with either an inboard engine or an outboard well. Outboard wells were a pretty poor set-up and one that I am glad has faded out of modern boats. Sailmaster 26's well was not as bad as some but I would try to find one with an inboard engine, or which has been outfitted with an outboard bracket instead.

They originally came with wooden spars which would be close to shot by now. That said, some of the later ones had aluminum spars and many have already been updated with aluminum as well.

This has always been a boat that I looked at with a certain sense of nostalgia from my youth. I have sometimes thought that if I ever get too old to sail bigger, higher performance boats, the Sailmaster 26 (or boats like her) would make a great boat to sail out my final days on the Chesapeake Bay poking into the quiet corners that I missed sailing deeper draft modern boats.

Respectfully,
Jeff
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2009 Thread Starter

Thank you...

Gentleman, thanks very much for the replies, especially you Jeff as I've found your commentary on all boating aspects at sailnet awesome. This will be my first serious sailboat (minus the wooden Thistle I owned previously). The 1966 Sailmaster I'm interested in is the "cruising" version. Completely original down to the gelcoat (and with aluminum spars). Sincerely, Ian
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2010

Update

Hi, Ian. I'm looking at a Sailmaster that has become available in the Annapolis area. How has yours worked out six months later? Is it an inboard or outboard? Are you sailing yet? Any insight would be welcome.
John

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.