Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Free Boat, no kiddin'

If anyone would like to take on a real project boat, there's an old ketch that is currently adrift and aground about 100 feet from the boss's private dock. It had been anchored out around 500 yards away for about two weeks. No sign of life on it. Yesterday we had a steady 20-25 knot wind from the southwest that finally broke the ground tackle, apparently. It came barreling down, aimed straight at our dock.

I called 9-1-1 and told the dummy at the other end there was a 50-70 foot sailboat drifting down on us and the cops needed to do something.

An hour later, after the apparent wrangling between agencies, first Fish and Wildlife showed up, wandered aimlessly for another 20 minutes before they finally saw the boat (which was sort of hung up on a sandbar). Fifteen minutes later the Jacksonville Sherrif's office showed up, wandered around in circles with the FW boat, looked inside the boat, then, with nothing done, departed at high speed.

I called them on channel 16 and asked them what the H*** they were doing, leaving the boat adrift. They told me 'We aren't authorized to do anything.'

As I've said, I have a temper. I said, "Break, break, break, Coast Guard Jacksonville, this is Ruffian..." and told the Coast Guard what was happening. From that point, we got a little action. Both water cops listened to my complaint to the USCG and immediately were on the radio playing CYA.

The bottom line, according to the USCG, who called me back via landline 4 times, is that there is no 'owner of record' for the boat. It's called the "Lisa K" and was home ported in Miami, FL. My guess is that it was one of the many Dinner Key Derelicts that someone probably just ripped off and brought up here.

Anyway. The boat is there. Anyone who wants a real project boat can lay salvage on her and have her towed somewhere to start the work. I can't tell you anything except the boat is a 50-70 foot ketch, possibly an old ferro cement or homebuilt steel boat (I'm better on ferro cement). The port side, which is all I can see is beat up. THere's a sail sort of blowing around on the foredeck, and the rest ain't wonderful.

Please come and get her. She's yours for nuthin'

Beats having her wind up hard aground in the shallows, or drifting around the St. John's River.

I'm really, truly serious about this. If you want more information, (I don't have too much more, but I can tell you where it is, etc.) leave me a personal message and an email address or phone number. I'll give you the address, etc., and do what I can to help.

Old 01-19-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most boats that you can get for free aren't worth getting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2009

You're right, Dog. So in the interest of convincing someone to come and take this fine yacht off to a new home, I'll be happy to charge someone for the information.

Here are a few pictures that I just took. As any discerning yachtsman can see, this fine yacht only needs a bit of cosmetic work. A bit of house paint, a few gallons of bleach and some elbow grease are all that's needed to get this beautiful long distance cruiser ready for a seven league trip.

(I can't believe I just wrote that. It sounds like the descriptions some broker would come up with! )
Attached Thumbnails
Free Boat, no kiddin'-ketch-1-sm.jpg   Free Boat, no kiddin'-ketch-2-sm.jpg   Free Boat, no kiddin'-ketch-3-sm.jpg   Free Boat, no kiddin'-ketch-4-sm.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Let me guess, you were a used car salesman in a past life...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-19-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
That's a floating SuperFund site.
Old 01-19-2009

Dog,

I'm shocked that you could say that about me. When I was younger, I never sold a used car without first wiping it down with a coat of diesel fuel to make the oxidized paint shine, or adding the appropriate amount of STP, Bardahl, and Stop Leak to the engine, transmission and radiator.

If this fine yacht doesn't interest you, perhaps you would be interested in another vessel which I'm sure the boss would sell very happily. (This isn't a joke: ) The boss has a 26 foot Formula express cruiser that we just recently noticed has a tiny problem. Carpenter ants have eaten the wood inside of the fiberglass transom.

In any event, wouldn't someone PLEASE come and take this fine sailing yacht, the LISA K, and give her a new home? (Somewhere far from here, preferably. Maybe you could take her to Tommy Holland's yard up in Greencove Springs. I'm sure he'd be happy to help...) Think of the joy of accomplishment you'd have after you spend about a quarter million restoring this proud old vessel. (By which time, the boat would be worth about $1.99)

later,

Oh, well. Time to get some meaningful work done, I guess.
Old 01-19-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
That's a real shame; to see a boat, that actually floats, in that condition.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 01-19-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Government in in-action.
Old 01-19-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
That looks like the homemade ferro-cement boat of my nightmares, if you can get it to California I'd be happy to tow it to the middle of the Pacific and scuttle it.
An anchored ketch was on the beach here after the last storms, owner hadn't been able to sell it for $4000, cost $7000 to get it off the beach, nobody wanted it for free when on the beach, go figure.
Old 01-19-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
That's beeeee-uuuuuu-teeeee-FUL.

Rarely have I seen such a shapely artificial reef. Where are we going to sink it?