Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009

ncsailing is on a distinguished road
Beginner's Boat

Beginnerís boat.
I am looking at either the porta bote in 14í with a sail rig or the sail boat from west marine. I am leaning towards the porta bote since it can be carried on my car and can be used to fish from with a motor when not sailing. Will eventually take wife and two small kidsí day sailing. I am looking at spending about $3000 if anyone has better ideas. I have sailed on boats with the scouts but did not take the course.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Porta Botes can be handy tenders for larger boats, but I don't think you'll get much enjoyment out of it as THE boat. It, and other boats with similar functions, is not going to sail well. If you insist on that sort of combination, you'll do better with a Fatty Knees, Cape Dory 10, or similar. Even those won't have great sailing characteristics.

You may want to entertain a small trailerable instead. A car-top sailboat that can actually sail, like a sunfish for instance, is not going to hold four people at once; two sure, not four.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
No! No! No! Start by looking for a real sailboat. Nothing that you have mentioned is suitable for 4 people. Those kids are going to get bigger. Think about some you can trailer that is light. Hopefully NC in you screen name refers to North Carolina. I am a big fan of lightings. Check out the link and stat doing a on line search. I think you find that a boat like these will better serve you for years to come.
Lightning Class 19' Lightning Class 19 - Sailboats for sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 01-20-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Those boats may be decent tenders but they are not family daysailers.

I like the Flying Scot and O'day Daysailer.

These are easily handled sloop rig center board trailerables that can last a lifetime even if you get a bigger boat.

Unfortunately, even older models in decent shape may stretch your budget.

I've also gotten three adults on a Hobie Wave and it sailed quite pleasently!!
Old 01-20-2009

Tortuga12 is on a distinguished road
My suggestion...

If you can find one, is the Venture 17. I paid $400 for mine, magic tilt trailer included, and I'm loving it so far! Displacement is ~800 lbs, so my 4 cyl. S-10 can pull and launch it easily. Small cabin for storage and weekend trips, swing keel for easy launch and retrieval.

I know a lot of people knock MacGregor, but this boat seems to have lasted since 1971 with no major problems. The main is blown out, but functional, and she sails very well for a boat of her size. Pointing ability is excellent, sails easy to manage, quick to rig and de-rig at the ramp. All in all, a great 1st boat for the Admiral and I!
Old 01-20-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
I'm going to echo the comments above. Looks for something a little more substantial. Maybe something like a Catalina 22 with a trailer. What area of NC are you in? I've seen several in my area for $3000 and under.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 01-20-2009
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
I would second a Flying Scot. I bought one when I was in your position and was very happy with. Even took my then 3 year-old son out on (with PFD, of course). Very stable, room for six, and easy to trailer. Thousands have been made, and you could probably find one for around $3,500-$4,000.
Old 01-20-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
A nice thing about the Scots (and the Lightnings) is that they are still an active One Design racing class, so you should be able to find good, cheap sails and plenty of online advice about rigging, maintaining and sailing the boats.

Old 01-20-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Just jumping on the bandwagon here. Skip the Porta Bote and get a boat that sails better used. Flying Scots would be an excellent choice for a first sailboat, as others have said. I've also sailed the O'Day Daysailer and Lightnings. The latter is a little less of a boat to learn on, in my opinion, but excellent nonetheless.

I would think you can get one of these listed above for within your price range and with a trailer. They're light enough that they can be towed by a normal car...just need the trailer hitch.
Old 01-20-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
A nice thing about the Scots (and the Lightnings) is that they are still an active One Design racing class, so you should be able to find good, cheap sails and plenty of online advice about rigging, maintaining and sailing the boats.
Like you say, tons of info at Flying Scotģ Sailboats

I just don't see many come up for sail. I could be wrong though.

There is one listed on the sailnet classifieds a 1961 listed back in Nov '08 ....

http://www.sailnet.com/classifieds/s...1&cat=6&page=1

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White