Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
"I don't need to get all of my money back, but just enough so I don't feel like it's a burden on me."

If there's a five year waiting list....You should be able to sublet and make a tidy little profit to boot!!

I LOVE the bay!...haven't been there in years but can't wait to go back..
Did my Deep Sea Diving School over on Alameda and my nightlife across the bay.
Old 01-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In many marinas, you can't get the slip and not keep a boat in it. That really isn't fair to the people who are on the waiting list who have boats—so it often isn't allowed. Either is sub-letting the slip, for much the same reasons.

I agree that now might be a very good time to get the boat, especially if you have the slip, since most people get the boat and then have to hunt down a convenient slip.

The age of your children is moot...since many kids have started sailing far younger than that. Hiring a local teen that is a sailor might be a very good way to get the maintenance done on your boat, as many young sailors are fairly familiar with the basics of boat maintenance. It would also provide you with possible crew for when you do go out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I’m not sure that you can legally sublet at South Beach. This is a city owned and operated marina and the marina management people are a bunch of rule followers (I know from personal experience). Subletting illegally is also problematic insomuch as you will have to show proof of $300,000 liability insurance with the marina being listed as co-insured. Not only will you have to pay personal property tax on your boat (purchase price or assessed value – whichever is highest) they will also bill you for the property tax equivalent of the slip itself even though it is owned by the City and County of San Francisco. As you know the waiting list is long on account of the Ball Park being right there and that tenant parking pass is “golden” on game days.

Now some thing you might want to consider is picking up that slip right now and mailing me one of your dock keys and I’ll come over on weekends and park Freya there while I enjoy the South of Market night life. Sounds good to you? Because it sounds good to me.
Old 01-20-2009

heech is on a distinguished road
Haha, very interesting... never occurred to me to make money off of the parking pass! Watch'em move the Giants to Stockton, and then I'll be really stuck.

Yea, I haven't even gotten the marina on the phone yet, but just logically I figured it'd be difficult getting the sublet thing worked out. I'll see if they let me hold on to the spot for 6 months while I test out my kids on the water, and see if they like the experience. If they do like the water, then I'll buy something along the lines of a Catalina 320 or 340... and go from there.

Part of me is trying to justify this by saying it'd be a cheaper way to entertain possible clients/business partners than paying for a luxury suite at the park. I can just anchor in McCovey Cove on game days, BBQ right on deck, cheap beer + liquor, and listen to Jon Miller.
Old 01-20-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by heech View Post
Part of me is trying to justify this by saying it'd be a cheaper way to entertain possible clients/business partners than paying for a luxury suite at the park. I can just anchor in McCovey Cove on game days, BBQ right on deck, cheap beer + liquor, and listen to Jon Miller.
Seems to me that's all the reason you need.... Once the boat's in the marina (tax deductible no doubt??) then the sailing and quality family time is all gravy!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-20-2009

heech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Seems to me that's all the reason you need.... Once the boat's in the marina (tax deductible no doubt??) then the sailing and quality family time is all gravy!
I came into this discussion 99% convinced it wouldn't work out... but here I am, starting to get swayed. Have to discuss it all with the wife.

I guess I should've known better than to ask a bunch of sailors whether it's practical to buy a sailboat.
Old 01-21-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
you know how to sail, you can get a slip, not getting personal it sounds like the money end is not a problem.... i just have one ?

what the hell are you waiting for?
Old 01-21-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
You could also consider a well qualified partner on the boat, ease the $$$ on them a bit and get the partner to supply extra elbow grease. The kids will love sailing if you make it fun. If you're having fun, even if it's blowing 20, you can convince them that they're having fun too. If you're intimidated, they'll get scared. I had my boy out on a Nacra beach cat flying a hull before he could walk. He loved it!
Old 01-21-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heech View Post
But do kids that age really enjoy a few hours of sailing? I can't even get her to sit quietly in the minivan without a DVD playing.
My dad always had some kind of a boat (motor or sail) and I went with him all the time when I was young. Don't know about 5 months but I have pictures of me in diapers sitting on a boat. I remember being on dad's Cal 22 when it was rough out, my brother and I went up to the v-berth and had a blast rolling around up there as the boat tossed and turned.

If anything I would say as your kids get older like near the teens it will be tougher to get them to want to go sailing. Went boating a lot from when I was really little until about 14 years old. By the time my brother and I were both in our teens dad sold the boat, we were never using it. Boat time competes with video games and girls ...

Last edited by FishFinder; 01-21-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2009
Sail Geek

duman311 is on a distinguished road
If you can afford it I say go for it too. We have two young ones and the 3 rules above are the best!!!! We follow those too.

One more thing you may want to think about is putting that netting around the boat on the life lines... If screams of kids, but it would give you that extra measure of security.

I like the Catalina too... I was suspect of those pulpit seats but they are really nice, the kids love them on the Hunter and they also follow the one hand for them and one for the boat when they are on there.

I would think that the cockpit size and depth of a 32-34 would provide all the safety needed for your youngsters...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.