Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Get them on the boat while they're young. If you wait there'll always be a reason to not get one. My 14 yr. old daughter likes to come with us, but my son, 17, due to summer jobs etc. has only been out a few times in the past couple of years. They grow up REAL FAST, before you know it, that little bundle of joy is looking you right in the eye and you'll wonder how he got up there so fast. Even if you get out on the water for a few hours on a weekend until their attention span ends, it's better than none.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Pull the trigger, buy a boat, ignore all who naysay. Worst case scenario, you never use it, but your kid does... read that other thread about the truly amazing story.
Old 01-21-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Heech, as others have said, you can definitely sail with kids. My family used to sail when I was 5 and my brother was an infant. We practically grew up on sailboats. We had family friends who cruised with us (on their own boat), and they had kids that were about 1 and 3. Yes you have to childproof some things--mesh or similar on the lifelines so they can't fall through, life jackets 100% of the time on deck with handles (to lift them out of the water and around deck as needed)--things like that.

It will help to have a boat that can be easily handled, so if one parent needs to attend to a child, the other parent can manage the boat.

Just my two cents on this. I think it's a challenge, yes, but I don't think you need to wait 5 years. I would recommend starting out simple and easy with the kids--just going out for a few hours, or taking short weekend trips to someplace close by. Keep it fun and relaxing.
Old 01-21-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have not heard much about how the WIFE feels about the whole thing BUT having made it through 28 years with the orginal HER comfort level will make or break the whole kids on board thing

For example my children allways got seasick when it was snotty and they needed to be below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I was in Emery Cove for a couple of years while living on Knob Hill. I thought it would be nice to have the boat closer. Use Muni, and just simplify life. I disliked the S.B.H. so much I went back to Emeryc Cove within 3 months.

The heads were filthy, and wet all the time. The folks running the marina was like dealing with the Gestapo. I once sailed the early part of the day, and went to pick up my wife at the guest dock when she got off work. They had a fit that I sat there for 10 minutes, and demanded I go to my slip. The dock was completely empty.

In the summer there's a strong wind on the beam, and it was tough getting in & out alone. If you take the windward slip you might nudge your neighbor. If you take the leeward he might nudge you....yikes.

This was in the 90's, and the policies might have changed in reference to management, but the wind is still on the beam. I liked Emery, because we were out of the city, but could look across, and still see it. It was extremely quiet, and peaceful there......i2f
Old 01-21-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
YES, Take the kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Do it, but a Catalina 27 or something like that for cheap in reasonable shape, take the kids out (many many people sail with young children) see if they like it, and go from there.
I have a Catalina 27 its a good fit for me but look around there are plenty of boats the right size for you (whatever that may be). And kids, if done right will be just fine. Get the proper PFDs and make sure you go when the experience is right. My daughter went sailing when she was 3 years old and we sailed all the time. She is now almost 37 and has 2 daughters.

Even though they live 400 miles away they have been on the boat several times. The 2 year old loves it and always talks about wanting to go on Aeolus. As you can see below, the youngest granddaughter was just 7 weeks old on her first sail. I am careful to not take them out and scare them (high wind and healing) and we keep the sails short (90 minutes or so) because small kids don't have long attention spans. The appropriate PFDs are critical, make sure they are the right weight group for the kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heech View Post
I came into this discussion 99% convinced it wouldn't work out... but here I am, starting to get swayed. Have to discuss it all with the wife.

I guess I should've known better than to ask a bunch of sailors whether it's practical to buy a sailboat.
Rarely will you find a more biased group about this topic! But if you can't sublet and money isn't the consideration then have a look around to find the right fit for a boat and your family.

Last edited by mccary; 01-21-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heech View Post
...and listen to Jon Miller.
Baltimore wants him back!!

They even hired a sound-alike!!