Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009

heech is on a distinguished road
Should I do it, or should I wait?

Hi all,

I'm bareboat certified, and have chartered probably 10 times over the last 5 years. I've had a blast, and always thought I wanted to own a boat... at *some* point.

I'm just not sure this is the point. But I'm being forced to make a decision because the very prime harbor has offered me a 34' berth, after waiting 5 years (5!!!) on their waiting list. (For those familiar with SF, this is South Beach Harbor, and I own a condo right across the street.)

I have two young children (5 months and 20 months), and I don't forsee taking them on the water until they're much, much older and excellent swimmers. And because of that... frankly, I don't see myself getting on the water much for the next 4-5 years. And with family/professional responsibilities, not sure how I can find time to even maintain the boat.

Should I just .. rent the berth and leave it empty? Should I go pick out a boat, even if I'll only be able to take it out 1-2 times a year (special holidays) for the next 4-5 years? ... or should I just wait, even if there's another 5 year waiting period ahead of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Can you sub-lease the slip? Take it now, rent it out for the next few years, and when you are ready, it would be there for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 01-20-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I will tell you that if you even just keep the boat good and clean on a DIY basis it sounds like you will use up your free time

I dont know how long the charters lasted BUT it sure seems like you enjoyed them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-20-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Can you sub-let it??
Old 01-20-2009

Good thought, re: sub-letting. I'll get in touch with the harbor and find out if that's an option. I don't need to get all of my money back, but just enough so I don't feel like it's a burden on me.

If I do buy a boat... I'd probably get a newer (1995+) fiberglass hull, easy on the eyes, not really high performance family cruiser (and occasional weekend racer). As far as maintenance, definitely don't have time for DIY. What are my options? How hard is it to be really hands-off, just hand someone the keys and say... keep it in ready-to-run shape?
Old 01-20-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
A lot of people sail with kids provided you take precautions to make it as safe as possible. Another possibility is a simple day sailor. Not much maintenance and you can get out for a couple of hours whenever you can steal them.

Jim McGee
C22 Island Time
C30 Goin' Coastal
Maple Shade, NJ

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-20-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Not sure why the young children should deter you in sailing.
I know many, including myself that had or have children on board at a young age. We started sailing with our daughters at Eighteen months.

The time to buy is now. What will it be like in five years?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-20-2009

I've only sailed with other adults, so don't have a clue how to child-proof a boat. In the SF Bay Area, 25+ knot winds are pretty much standard... not too mention quite a bit of boat traffic, so I wasn't sure how you keep a 2 year old from getting in trouble.

Any references out there on what "precautions" I would need to take, in order to be reasonably safe? There must be child tethers out there that *guarantees* they will never fall out of the cockpit...?

But do kids that age really enjoy a few hours of sailing? I can't even get her to sit quietly in the minivan without a DVD playing.
Old 01-20-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Our son has been sailing since he was 18 days old,(we lived in an area with regular 20+ knots of breeze too) he was determined to beat us and had is daughter out sailing at 1 week old, and she is already, at 1 year old, a veteran of a local fall racing series.

Sailing with children is very do-able, and I see no need to wait until they're "much much older". We have 3 basic rules: 1: stay on the boat, 2: stay on the boat, and 3: stay on the %$#@! boat. Swimming is good and important but adhering to rules 1 thru 3 make it to a point irrelevant. Tethers, vigilance and good practise will make keeping to those rules fairly simple.

You have a golden opportunity to get into a good situation - think how many have bought the boat and then realized they can't find a place to moor it.... If you have the wherewithal, do it now.. sail when you can and get your family into it sooner rather than later.

Do a little searching around this site.. there are several threads addressing sailing/cruising with youngsters of all ages.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-20-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Do it, but a catalina 27 or something like that for cheap in reasonable shape, take the kids out (many many people sail with young children) see if they like it, and go from there.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.