Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
Having owned an Alberg 37 for the last eight years I can attest to the qualities of Carl's work. He drew very lovely boats with great lines that sail very well in most conditions. You just need to have the right gears for them I found my A37 an extremely good light air boat if the seas were flat. I also carried a pentax 164% deck sweeping genoa and had a good suit of sails otherwise.

I looked at the Alberg designed CDs prior to buying the Whitby built 37. I liked the layout of the 33 the best of the ones you've mentioned. I don't think any of those boats would be too much to handle. The only hard part is getting them in and out of the slip, the rest is really easy. I single handed the '37 all the time. She was rigged as a yawl so I'd often sail jib and jigger ...about like sailing a CD typhoon. ...well maybe a bit of an exageration but still a breeze.

At any rate I don't think any of those boats would be too much boat. In fact sometimes I think the larger medium displacement boats are easier to handle than a light weight smaller boat.

If you should decide to look at an Alberg 37 I know of a nice yawl that is about to come up on the market.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2009

CTCapeDory is on a distinguished road
The slip exit challenge with a Cape Dory, or any other full keel boat, is easily solved with a bit of practice and a long dock line. Warping into or out of the slip with a long line works well - somewhat like using a spring line to get onto a dock against the wind or current. If the boat wants to back to port and you need to go to starboard to get into the fairway, have the long line around a piling to starboard as you back out under power, and keep a bit of resistance on the free end of the line as it slips around the piling to tug the stern around. Once you are clear of the slip, hit neutral and haul the cleated end of the line back in (so as to avoid the embarassment of fouling the prop.)
Old 01-22-2009

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCapeDory View Post
The slip exit challenge with a Cape Dory, or any other full keel boat, is easily solved with a bit of practice and a long dock line. Warping into or out of the slip with a long line works well - somewhat like using a spring line to get onto a dock against the wind or current. If the boat wants to back to port and you need to go to starboard to get into the fairway, have the long line around a piling to starboard as you back out under power, and keep a bit of resistance on the free end of the line as it slips around the piling to tug the stern around. Once you are clear of the slip, hit neutral and haul the cleated end of the line back in (so as to avoid the embarassment of fouling the prop.)
----You also learn how to direct the prop wash. also once you get her moving with a good burst of the throttle put the boat into neutral so the rudder will work a bit better.
Old 01-23-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Thanks John....How would you have done sailing the 31 as your first boat? How long do you imagine the process to singlehanding her would have taken you -- a full season of active sailing / planning / practicing -- or more? ...
Blowin,

I think with your background, and a little bit of help/lessons from an experienced sailor, you'll be fine in a boat this size. As another poster mentioned, a mid-size cruising boat can in some ways be easier to handle than a smaller or pocket cruiser, especially out in heavier conditions.

The trickiest part to get used to will be docking manouvers, but if you're on a mooring or the anchor most of the time it will be less of an issue. Wait for a calm day and then take some time to practice docking, it will improve your skills and boost your confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
....The 31 is an odder duck. It has the head to port at the bottom of the companionway. Some CD'er really like it as a combo head / wet locker, but it is fairly unique (though I guess the PSC Dana has an equivellent set-up). The upshot on the 31 is they are limited in number and fairly high in demand so either the 33 or 330 will likely be cheaper.
I prefer the aft head arrangement. Especially for short-handed sailing, it makes it more convenient to take a quick duck below. It's also handy for peeling off the wet foul-weather gear. The Dana is configured like that, as is our larger PSC 31. Speaking of the Dana, you might look at a few since they're in the same price range.

By the way, what kind of tankage are you talking about in those CD models being discussed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-23-2009
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Tankage

Hi John -

The 330 has 20 fuel and 85 water. As for the 33, by 1983 it was up to 21 fuel and 74 water. I just checked this and it is more capacity than I'd thought, but I don't know if I was mistaken or if it was less in earlier years . . ..

I like the Danas a lot and by all accounts they are very capable. I don't know that I would *want* to do extended crusing in a Dana both because of the single cabin and also the smaller platform. So maybe the Dana is a boat that I move "down" to in a couple of years . . .. The Orion on the other hand is a boat I have considered and probably could be happy with. All of the PSC's are pretty sweet to my eye and have some great features (like the stantions bedded in the raised bulwark instead of in the deck).
Old 01-23-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
That's pretty decent tankage for boats of that size. For comparison purposes, our 31 footer (actually 30.5' l.o.d.) carries 23 gal diesel and 65 gal fresh water (+6 gal in the hotwater tank)

Our biggest limiting factor has always been the 16 gal holding tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT