Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
The Tax Thing . . .

I am budgeting for a 10% sales tax / registration / licensing fee depending on where I purchase. I understand that I may not be charged if the state of purchase has an exclusion, but surely some state along the way will make me ante up. I want to make sure I understand the situation going in . . .

My question: once you've paid one state a sales tax or licensing fee, it is credited by al other states, right? In other words, the worst that could happen is that I buy in state X which charges 8% transfer tax on boats and I wind-up spending substantial time in state Y which charges 10% one-time licensing fee or use tax -- I would only owe state Y 2%, right?

TIA

Last edited by blowinstink; 01-23-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Yes, IF you can prove it...keep your receipts.

I think the highest tax is 8%, most are 5% to 6%. Some are 0%
Old 01-23-2009

sahara is on a distinguished road
There's a reason so many boats are kept in Rhode Island. No sales, use or property tax on boats. Very small registration fees.

We winter our boat in Maine, and the state sent us a letter last year asking us to pay use tax or show why we should not (Maine has an exemption for boats which are just there for storage and work). We used logs and credit card records to show that the boat was used in Maine waters for under 2 weeks in our first year of ownership, and the problem went away.

Expect your home state to be fairly aggressive about this, states are hurting for taxes and rich yachties are a mighty tempting target.
Old 01-23-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Blowin...yes...you would only owe the 2% difference in that case BUT you are aware that MANY states also have an ANNUAL personal property tax which can be quite expensive as well right?
Old 01-23-2009
Call me Ishmael

Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Blowin...yes...you would only owe the 2% difference in that case BUT you are aware that MANY states also have an ANNUAL personal property tax which can be quite expensive as well right?
No, Cam I didn't know that. Obviously, I know about income taxes and real estate taxes, but I knew nothing of "personal property tax" . . .. I suppose I need to find a schedule of state by state Boat transfer tax, Use taxes, One time licensing fees and now personal property tax! It seems like (and all the responses seem to confirm that) all but the personal property would be credited in other states.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-23-2009
Call me Ishmael

Looks like Boat US did it for me . . .

BoatUS.com: Government Affairs
Old 01-23-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yeah...good list but note that the pers.prop. tax is generally a county imposed tax and can vary GREATLY from county to county within a state. Back a few years ago I was paying $1k per year at my VA slip...and 50 miles away in Norfolk the tax was a dollar. (changed now but you get the point.) I also believe that some staes may have an annual USE tax instead of personal property. I'm pretty sure MD. collects this but maybe a local there can confirm.
Point is...shop around for marinas where you may stay a while and ask the annual tax question before you sign on the dotted line. What looks to be a cheap place to stay can turn out differently!
Old 01-24-2009
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road
Interesting info in a country founded from a tax revolt & now seems to have assimalated the soul of Silas Marner . The longer I live the more I regard my citizenship as membership in a club I have no recollection of joining that has very highs dues & few , yes I said few , benefits . Please spare me invitations to leave . This is my country....I just disapprove of what's become of it .
Old 01-27-2009

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
Interesting info in a country founded from a tax revolt & now seems to have assimalated the soul of Silas Marner . The longer I live the more I regard my citizenship as membership in a club I have no recollection of joining that has very highs dues & few , yes I said few , benefits . Please spare me invitations to leave . This is my country....I just disapprove of what's become of it .

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED. We as Americans have given up so many of our "rights" and it isn't funny. If the Founding Father's were alive I have no doubt they would be apalled at the legalese and semantics that have been used to justify governmental actions, esp. the past 8-10 years.
Old 01-27-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I'm pretty sure MD. collects this but maybe a local there can confirm.
My understanding here in Maryland is that IF you keep you boat in MD or use MD waters more than 90 days in a calendar year you are REQUIRED to pay the state excise tax (5%), plus registration fees every 2 years. This applies to used boats, documented boats and boats registered in other states but used in MD.
Check:
Boating in Maryland: Boat Registration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.