SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sold my boat on Ebay

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  ckgreenman 
#1 ·
Yup thats right, sold in less than 4 hours (the first step to upgrading). this is the second boat i have sold on ebay. took a loss of course and with todays economy it's hard to sell anything. I hope the new owner will enjoy her as much as we have.
LINK

#18 ·
He's also crazy...:)

#11 ·
Congrats on Selling

I'm in the process of buying a boat and have no idea of what the ask/bid percentages in todays market for an older boat. Can you give me an idea?
You can PM me as I don't want to whole board to dis me as prob 1/2 here are
either looking or selling. Just between us...promise!

#15 ·
I'm in the process of buying a boat and have no idea of what the ask/bid percentages in todays market for an older boat. Can you give me an idea?
You can PM me as I don't want to whole board to dis me as prob 1/2 here are
either looking or selling. Just between us...promise!
hard to say, especially now.
You need to look hard into what the boat is worth, then determine if the buyer is close to that.
One particular model I was shopping ranged from $140,000 to 260,000 all within a few years of construction.

You might find a gem priced at the top of the range that is a bargain and a beater very low priced that isn't worth half that.

Some sellers aren't really all that eager to sell and are holding out for top dollar, others need to sell now.
Do your homework; determine what the boat is worth; do your own pre-survey to determine if it seems in good condition; then make an offer 20% below what you think it's worth, regardless of what it's listed for.
Of course you will follow up with a very good surveyor to verify you didn't miss anything in your own survey.

#16 ·
Hey Xort...thanks for that.

I've pretty much decided on a Westsail 32 and the prices are all over the place...from $40K to $75K. I know that 1/2 aren't 'factory finished' so that is a big factor. I have done soooooo much reading over the past week...no sleeping or eating! I'm on a mission! Today I'm going to look at a Westerly Falcon 34 that is local...so your info really helps, though think I'm pretty set on the Westsail.

Also, did order some books from Amazon which I think you recommended. Will keep you posted! thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.