Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beneteau 351??

Good picture. Houston, we have a problem. Definitely not for your touchy sleeper! Hopefully a 351 or 331 (same table) owner will chime in, but I think you may have already found your answer. Have you checked on any Beneteau boards?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2013
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Beneteau 351??

There is nothing that you are doing wrong. When you have placed the insert filler cushions, they are pretty level with the leading edge of the seat cushions. It just doesn't form a smooth, flat sleeping surface.

We have a couple throw-pillows aboard that we use to fill the low areas. This berth space is seldom used. When it is, the sleeper is usually so tired that they're happy to be anywhere that is kinda soft.

As a side note . . . I'm pretty sure that table design was introduced with the Beneteau Oceanis 352 model in 1997. I know the 351 salon table was supported with an additional two legs under the table. The 352 table design had to be supported by the lower compartments. The "knee" egde of the seat cushions does match the height of the filler cushions. The problem is the "butt" position of the seat cushion slopes downward.

The 351 was replaced by the 352 in `97 and was replaced by the 361 after the `99 model year. Mine was one of the last off the line as the 361 model started production. If given a choice, avoid any 351/352 powered by a Perkins diesel.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes

Last edited by MSN2Travelers; 01-24-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2013

capnJudd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info about the salon table. It looks like a very UNslick piece of design work. Not what I would expect from Beneteau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
If given a choice, avoid any 351/352 powered by a Perkins diesel.
This is a separate datum, which I picked up somewhere else too. Is it the Perkins that is the problem? Maintenance issues? Reliability?

Why is this advice specific to 351/352? Is it the installation in the hull that presents an issue?
Old 01-24-2013
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Beneteau 351/352

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnJudd View Post

Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers - "If given a choice, avoid any 351/352 powered by a Perkins diesel."

This is a separate datum, which I picked up somewhere else too. Is it the Perkins that is the problem? Maintenance issues? Reliability?

Why is this advice specific to 351/352? Is it the installation in the hull that presents an issue?

Maybe that came out a little harsher than I intended. There seems to be general consensus among owners that have experience with both the Perkins model M30 (Perama-M30) & the Yanmar model 3GM30F that the Yanmar is the better choice. I don’t know if it is parts availability (which could be a local issue), ease of maintenance, overall reliability or some combination of all three. I’m not telling you to avoid the Perkins. I’m just saying that, given a choice, the Yanmar is the preferred power plant.

I have noticed that brokers, and owners, tend to misidentify which model they have. Throw in the occasional French made units with the US made and it can get confusing. The European made boats tend to have the galley spread out along the length of the boat’s port side.

As I see it, the US made Oceanis 352 is basically the same boat as the Oceanis 351. Beneteau used the `97 thru `99 model years the as a test bed for design elements that eventually were adopted in the 361 and they called it the 352 for marketing purposes.

Our boat is used as a cruiser and has a crew-of-two most of the time. We often day sail with guests but typically cruise 7-21 days at a time by ourselves. I often take it out alone with little difficulty. We love the boat.

I race on a vintage Pearson Flyer. The differences between a lean & mean vs. the family cruiser became obvious immediately. The 351/352 only has two winches located on the cabin-top for all sail trimming duties. This can be kinda awkward for people who are not used to having the main sheet and Genoa sheets sharing just two winches. It is can be even more problematic for sailors who maneuver the boat while alone in the cockpit. (i.e.: you have to leave the wheel to reach any/all of the sail handling sheets.)

Another item to be aware of is the prop-walk when in reverse at idle/very low RPM’s. You learn to embrace & use it as a tool or curse it and spend thousands trying different props that mitigate it.

At the end of the day, I would have preferred to get an Oceanis 361 (Genoa winches near the wheel) but they wanted way too much money for that model boat while a late model 352 had basically the same interior layout.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes

Last edited by MSN2Travelers; 01-24-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2013

Marcel D is on a distinguished road

But would you buy a car that was up on the rocks many charter boat suffer from this.
Old 02-01-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

So, original post in 2002. Then 8 years later, the thread gets revived and there's finally a response. And now, more than two and a half years after that, the thread gets revived once again. This may be a record for a thread brought back from the dead.

To repeat, in the future, capnJudd, it would be much better to start your own, new thread, since this is a new and different question. Even if the thread were only a year old, it would be better to start a new one. When the thread is more than ten years old, very DEFINITELY better to start a new one!

Good luck getting an answer to your question. Sorry I can't help with that.
Old 02-01-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

That table look familiar. Our 361 has the same set up, but I believe ours sits better in the lowered position. It still does not make a completely flush surface with the inserted filler cushion. Just like Paul has stated, it is used mostly by one only and is not considered a double although some might advertise it as a double, its not. The person lounging there is at hook or in the slip and is very comfortable. Underway it can be used as a sea berth on Port Tack and for me when I come off a 4-hour watch cranky, cold, wet and tired it is very comfortable.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-12-2013

georover is on a distinguished road

Yup. I have a 351 and I try never to sleep on the table in the salon. I'm designing and building a new table that will sit lower so the cuchions will be level and not require you to visit the chiropractor the next day. I did try it once but it's way to uncomfortable however the rum and girlfriend made it easier.

Good luck. Oh and I have had no issues with the engine as of yet. Knock on wood. But the self furling main is a entirely different story!!!
Old 02-13-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Well, let's hear about your furling main then! What's the problem?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright