Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Look before you leap!

Before you make a jump into a 20+ year old boat that has been sunk and has a hull crack I think I would have a hard look at the "competition". This is a used boat buyers market. You can probably find a decent, never sunk, boat of the same vintage and length might be found for not too much more $$ and save a bundle on repairs to "make her seaworthy". Also, you need to have a hard look at what money you will be spending to fix and replace. Piece by piece, new hardware is way more expensive than it is when it is installed on a used boat on the market. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, think of the total cost of repairs as well as the purchase price. And don't worry, there will be plenty of work for you on a good used boat. A boat, after all is a hole in the water to put money and effort.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2009

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Couple concerns I would have related to O'Day in specific would be the deck. How long was it sunk? The deck core could absorb a heck of a lot of water. The factory didn't bed anything right, so water could easily get into the core.
Also, if the headliner has a flange to cover the hull/deck joint mold could be growing in there.
Old 01-28-2009
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
It may and I mean MAY be a good option for you, but there are several things I would look into first.

1) Im going to echo mccary, check out the used boat market thoroughy, there will be several other similar bargains out there, if a bargain fixupperer is what you want, then there may be better propositions than this one.

2) If your still serious, then get a survey done, 'oh but that costs and I don't want to spend too much money, thats why I was looking at this boat'.
Well then walk away if you can't afford the survey then you can't afford to restore the boat. Get a survey done, period.

If you've done the above, and the boat is good value compared to what else is out there......and you know for sure now about the condition of the vessel from the survey and exactly what needs doing.........and you understand the work your taking on and the time/costs necessary and are happy with this commitment....... then by all means go for it.

Please also let us know how you go, what you end up doing and how it turns out....and ask questions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, really cheap boats are usually far more costly than their brethren which are in usable, decent shape. If you look at what it will cost you to get that boat in usable shape, and compare it to what it would cost you to buy the same boat in decent condition, the second boat will cost far less in time, sweat equity and money. Most cheap or free boats are very expensive to buy.

That said, I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, since it will give you a way to at least see if the boat is worth exploring further. IMHO, they should be paying you to cart the boat off, not you paying them to buy it.

I'd also highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2009
sailor

captsuz is on a distinguished road
Been salvaging boats for 25 years...hurricane alley brings plenty to consider. Not afraid of sunken boats, but you do need to dry them out and make them sound before swimming again. Consider all electronics gone, I'd be real surprised if that engine stays running...but I've been known to pickle an engine. It is difficult to live in a boat that you're working on too...but I suggest you work on the cosmetics outside first so you are presentable to your marina neighbors and then concentrate on all the system inboard. Yes, she will nickle and dime you to death and may not be as cost-savings as you thought. But, I will not ever discourage a person who wishes to live the life of a sailor.....it's the only life for me!
Old 01-28-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you are not highly skilled yourself you will spend MUCH more than the boat is worth to put it in good condition. Consider buying the same boat in good condition and saving some money and a lot of effort in the long run.
Alternatively...keep looking....most old, cheap boats have plenty wrong with them to begin with without adding a sinking and all the damage that can do to the list of problems.
Old 01-28-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
A sunk boat is not one you buy - it is one you take off the hands of the pour individual. And even then - many more decent wrecks that do not have the damage done to them as the one you post. A simple Craigslist ad in your area will probably poop up quite a few responses from owners just wanting to get it gone...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-29-2009

panamade is on a distinguished road
This a great community you've got here. I was thinking I might get one or two replies about this. Thanks very much everybody for all your advise, first of all.

With what you've said in mind, I think what it is is that I may be in love with this model more than this particular boat really. So first of all, I think I'll offer the guy $10 dollars for this one, cause that would be worth it to me even if I just took it out in the inlet and sank it again myself.

I wish I had pictures to show you, but I'd feel kind of funny about taking pictures of somebody else's boat and posting them on the internet. The thing has no name, which I found intriguing. I'd probably call it, "submarine-sandwich." ".20000 leagues under." Or "bottoms down." No.

Anyway, more than likely she and I won't end up 'tying the knot' (Pff... I kill myself!), so if anybody knows someone with a 272 they might want to get rid of for around $5000, put the word out for me. I guess I'm back in the market.

Thanks for the wake-up call.

panamade(@live.com)
Old 01-29-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
You didn't say where you are... transporting a boat that size (unless you have a trailer and truck) is expensive. So if we have a region we can give you suggestions.
Old 01-29-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamade View Post
This a great community you've got here. I was thinking I might get one or two replies about this. Thanks very much everybody for all your advise, first of all.

With what you've said in mind, I think what it is is that I may be in love with this model more than this particular boat really. So first of all, I think I'll offer the guy $10 dollars for this one, cause that would be worth it to me even if I just took it out in the inlet and sank it again myself.

I wish I had pictures to show you, but I'd feel kind of funny about taking pictures of somebody else's boat and posting them on the internet. The thing has no name, which I found intriguing. I'd probably call it, "submarine-sandwich." ".20000 leagues under." Or "bottoms down." No.

Anyway, more than likely she and I won't end up 'tying the knot' (Pff... I kill myself!), so if anybody knows someone with a 272 they might want to get rid of for around $5000, put the word out for me. I guess I'm back in the market.

Thanks for the wake-up call.

panamade(@live.com)
Check ebay, craigslist, sailboatlistings, sailingtexas, yachtworld, etc. You'll find one eventually for the price range you want.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.