Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009

AlpineSailor is on a distinguished road
Check out the S2 6.9 It's a fast 22 footer, fractional rig, lead daggerboard keel (no banging), well built, easy to trailer, and will sail circles around most, if not all of the above mentioned boats. I sail an S2 6.7 which is an earlier, racier version of the same hull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Have you considered keeping the FS and parking it in the lot of a nice hotel while you "overnight??"
Old 02-04-2009

geraldartman is on a distinguished road
I had a Cat 22 for a 1st trailer boat. About $2K with trailer. Sailed it around the North Channel and home. What I liked was the user support. I knew literally nothing about sail being a power boater for years. The users had lots of info, upgrade ideas, parts locations etc. Lots of sailing advice, racing stuff etc. For any used boat, I think this is an important idea if you need lots of help.
Old 02-07-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Finger Lakes? I learned to sail there, and it will have some bearing on your choice. For instance, of your listed boats I'd cross off the Bayliner/Buccs, the Balboa/E20, Chrysler, Nimbles,and the Compacs right off; summer winds in NY inland lakes are flukey and very light, and those boats will not move atall, atall. A quick, lively ride is choice: US, Sirius, San Juans, Catalinas, S2s, and Schock/Santanas hold down the lighter end.

Are you looking at overnights, or more extended camping? How many berths? Galley, or camp stove? How many people will you have in the cockpit?

Next question: would you be thinking of occasional trips to the Great Lakes, Champlain, or the Eastern seaboard? Cuz then I'd probably cross off the Santanas and San Juans -- not keen in big square chop. The Sirius is outstanding, but getting one for under $6k is a big ask. Compacs would be fine. Precision and Merit excellent for either venue, but expensive and a bit overkill on a 3-mile lake!

Get a boat that points very well: beating up Seneca or Cayuga Lake (40 mi long, 1 mi wide) is hard work. OTOH, prevailing summer southerlies and the lakes' N-S direction means nice long spinnaker runs!

I hope to bring our SJ21 to the Finger Lakes some day -- it would be a marvelous sailing boat on those waters (with the genoa). But the interior verges on useless, the equal of a two-man tent. C22 is only 6" longer but massively bigger below.
Old 02-07-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Skip Freedoms. I love them, however they are not light wind boats and they don't point well.
Old 02-10-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'd also have to lean towards the Precisions. I used to have a Precision 23 and absolutely loved it - it handles great, performs and is comfortable. It's not as comfortable as a Hunter or Catalina of the same size, but I'd take its construction and handling any day. You can find some used at Precision Sailboats - For Sale
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-12-2009

BRUCECUTCLIFFE is on a distinguished road
Best Trailor-Sailor Value

Dean: As another writer mentioned, the O'Day 23 would be an excellent choice and there should be a few around as the 23 was manufactered for about 8 years (between 1977 and 1985). I would stay away from the O'Day three digit models produced shortly before Lear Seigler shut down operations around 1988-89. The O'Day might be a Chevrolet of production boats however you do get a lot of boat for the money. Although you can trailor the O'Day 26, you would need a substantial truck and it would not be much fun!
Old 02-12-2009

DougMaass is on a distinguished road
Boats to consider.

I would consider a nice little catboat, such as a Compac or a Menger. They may not point quite as high as a sloop, but they come close. What the lose in pointing they make up for in ease of rigging, ease of handling, comfort, space, stability,and they fly off the wind.

If you don't mind a fixed keel, consider a J-22 (kinda Spartan below) or a Beneteau 235. They can still be trailered, but you need a steep ramp for launching and retrieving.

Doug Maass
Sleepy Hollow, NY
Old 02-13-2009

h2ojem is on a distinguished road
We have a Halman 20. Fixed keel, easy to single-hand, especially with the roller furling we installed. She is sturdy and so sweet!! You should be able to find one with trailer for under 6,000. J&J
Old 02-13-2009

ahld is on a distinguished road
Flying Scot upgrade

FS,
Another upstater and former Scot sailor here. We bought a Capri 22 and were very happy with it. After 10 years on Skaneateles we went to a 38 footer on Lake Ontario.

The Capri sails well, 2 guys can easily step the mast on the trailer. You can sleep on the boat and it has a great big cockpit. I'd suggest finding one with the race package and non-Catalina sails if you have a choice. Not as fast as a J-22 but a whole lot more comfortable inside. If you're planning to do a lot of overnights you might want to look at a pocket. Typically you give up performance for comfort with say a Precision, or Catalina 22.

Good luck!
Dave

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.