Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009

captainkip is on a distinguished road
I own a Alberg37

I find these threads interesting as most have never owned one. I have owned and lived on my A37 for 10 years I have sailed my A37 over 12k sea miles and I have never loved a sailing yacht as much as this one. I have been impressed by her ability to sail in light air or gales at all points of sail. As to going fast, why? sailing is a passion to be savored. Would you guzzel down a fine wine in a gulp and brag about how fast it went down? for a 37' yacht she has a very sea kindly motion and can withstand enormous punishment. I can sail at 7 kts in 12 kts wind and I have done 11kts in 25kts down wind,{something I would rather avoid in the fuure] that said the A37 did this with absolute percision for 17hrs with gusts to 35kts and 12' following seas going down the western Baja. They track like a train and are fantastic under wind vane steering.Something that does not always apply to fin keel boats. As to backing up, its true that fin keels back up mobeter, but I have learned the trick and you can too. When manuvering in tight spaces no problem if you do a manuver called back and fill. You use the prop walk and forward/reverse. I can turn 360 in the boats length. The beam is 10.2 and I would like a couple of inches more but in rough weather I can walk tru holding on to both P&S hand holds and not worry about getting slammed from hull to hull For me the only down side is that the V berth is 6.2' and tho is ok for me, I cant get any tall women to sleep in it. I hope this has been helpfull. You can check the Alberg37 owners Asso. for boats for sale and info. Its true that you must love your boat and it will return that love in spades. Good luck matey....Capt Kip

Last edited by captainkip; 02-04-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2010

RickBarr is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 71 Alberg 37' in Marathon moving aboard next week. Was the best decision I could ever make in choosing a boat. She's cutter rigged and as salty as you like.. Cant wait to really get out and put in some miles. I can see why you love the boat. My thoughts are the same. As compromises go for a 37 ftr I can only say good things about my Alberg. Carl knew what he was doing, yes she's tight in the beam but theres clear passage on the side decks. You don't have to ballet dance around the shrouds moving forward. The cockpit is actually quite accommodating compared to say the larger Ingrid 38 or an Islander 36. Give me a month or so and I'll be back here to back you up on how she sails...Haven't downwinded with her in 25k but glad to know I can if needs be.
Old 08-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The Alberg 37 is a good boat, very similar to the Cape Dory 36, Spencer 35, and others. Narrow can be good, both for handholds below and sailing ability. I certainly wouldn't pass on a good one if looking for a boat of that size.
Old 08-19-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Great boat, and you're happy... what more's there to say?
Old 08-19-2010

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
captinkp

Often When I get bored I find myself wandering the local marinas. Every time I come across an alberg 37, well really, any alberg designed boat, I stand and gaze longer than I should. She is a beautiful boat.
I have to confess that the alberg 29 sits higher on my wish list, but only because it would be easier to single handle.
An alberg 37 and a equally beautiful crew-mate, heck, she could be captain for all I care, not a bad life goal in my way of thinking.

John