Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
If you happen to subcribe to "Good Old Boat", just saw on their news letter that in the March issue thye are doing a article on the Tartan 3000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2009

moxiesml is on a distinguished road
We have owned hull 95 [1987] for the last 3+ years. We have been very pleased with our choice. Ours is the keel/centerboard version which might suit for the kind of sailing you have in mind. It drafts 3 foot 4 inch with the board up 6 foot board down. The keel/cb versions displacement is 8350lbs with 4200 lbs ballast .The fin version is 400 lbs lighter. I don't know how many of the 97 hulls are fin versus k/cb. Some of the differences between the 3000 and the 30 are diesel [3000]versus gas engine and the 3000 has aluminium toe rails. Negatives of the 3000 would be lack of interior storage [compared to some other 30 footers] Also check headroom[listed at 6 foot] I'm 5' 10" and in some areas of cabin it"s snug. For us the great sailing characteristics make up for these trade off's. let me know if I can be of further help.
Old 02-03-2009

schred is on a distinguished road
dbruce85 - thanks for the tip on Good Old Boat. I will check out the March issue.

moxiesml - what engine does your boat have? I noticed some of the 3000's are equipped with the Universal 5411. Suspect this might be slightly underpowerd with only 11 hp. Any comments?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2009

moxiesml is on a distinguished road
We have a Universal M18 [14 h.p. 2 cylinder]. I think Tartan switched to these in 83/84. We sail Smith Mountain Lake Virginia ,so lack of h.p. isn't an issue.
Old 02-04-2009

t22cayuga is on a distinguished road
There is a very nice writeup on the evolution of S&S 30 foot designs that is posted on the Sparkman and Stevens Association website. The author discusses both the Tartan 30 and the 3000. Sailnet won't let me post the link, but if you Google S&S and "Tartan 3000" it will show up.

I looked seriously at Tartan 30's last year, and while I very much like the boat I never found the right one for me. I looked at one 3000 and liked it even more, but it turned out the Westerbeke was toast (low compression) so I lost interest. The 3000 has a more modern deck and cockpit layout, with all of the controls led to the cockpit, and the traveler on the bridgedeck instead of back on the transom. It also has a more modern double spreader rig with a lighter mast section, and a more modern underbody, without the skeg that the 30 had. The interior is pretty different too. Some owners noted that the boat lacks adequate storage. The 3000 has a nice nav station against the aft port bulkhead, giving up a quarter berth. The galley is against the stbd aft bulkhead, so there is no quarter berth there either. It has something like 8 opening ports, and I think 2 hatches. The 3000 is somewhat lighter than the 30. The 30 had a solid glass hull. The 3000 is balsa cored above the waterline, solid below. The 3000 rates about 9sec/mile faster than the 30 in PHRF New England. There seem to be a bunch of them for sale around Annapolis these days.
Old 02-04-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
t22,

post the link with spaces, and one of us with more than 10 posts can post the link.

marty
Old 02-04-2009

mazzy is on a distinguished road
Found this link: it's a pdf
Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.