Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009

schred is on a distinguished road
Tartan 30 vs 3000

Does anyone have any information on the Tartan 30 vs 3000? I am familiar with the 30's and enjoy the way they sail. I don't know much about the 3000's other than physical characteristics, such as deeper draft. Am interested in sailing performance of 3000 vs 30.

My sailing is limited to daysails, weekend outings, and the annual 1-2 week summer cruise.

I recently moved to Wilmington, NC after being boatless and homeless for 1.5 years (work kept me in hotels and long-term apartments in CA and PA). Unfortunately I'm still not very familiar with this area. I am looking for a boat in the 30' range. I will either keep it in Southport or Wrightsville Beach. I have heard great comments about the sailing in Pamlico and Abermerle sounds. Would the Tartan 3000's deeper draft (> 5 ft) prevent sailing in these Sounds?

Thank you for any comments!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
From PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps , the 30 rates 171 and the 3000 162. I would expect these numbers to reasonably reflect the performance differences in the boats, which is to say "not much". The T30 is a special classic, while the 3000 is also a nice boat, if you feel comfortable with the premium it requires.
Old 02-02-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Both are good boats. Since the 30 is now at least 30 years old, it will take a bit of luck to find a nice one. The 3000 is newer and chances of finding a good one are better. Can't comment on the limitations of draft in the NC sounds.
Old 02-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Deleted by Moderator:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-03-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Well meaning but inaccurate and misleading post
Old 02-02-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Be aware that Tartan has had some issues, and if the Tartan 3000 is one of their more recent epoxy-build hulls, you may want to avoid it. Also, if the boat is a newer one, that is supposed to have warranty coverage, getting repairs done under the warranty may be problematic.
The 3000 came out in the early 80s, well before Tartan went to epoxy construction. Long out of warranty.
Old 02-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ok...good to know... wasn't sure what the dates on it were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
The 3000 came out in the early 80s, well before Tartan went to epoxy construction. Long out of warranty.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-02-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The epoxy boats are somewhere from 02 to 04 and newer depending upon the model. Even then, not sure I would worry about an epoxy boat in the first few yrs, the last couple of yrs maybe.

As far as draft goes, unless you are trying to get yourself into a river/stream with low draft, does an extra foot really make a difference in some of the east coast bays and sounds? personally I would think not. I would take the draft of the 3000 and go for it!

marty
Old 02-02-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
FWIW given the T30's position of prominence as perhaps the best of the '70s racer/cruiser, many have been cherished by knowledgeable owners who have taken very good care of them. Not that you can't find plenty of dogs...but I have seen a number of T30s that are doubtlessly in better shape now than when brand new, and perhaps represent better buys than most new builds, at perhaps 25% of a new boat's price. Zpretty hard to beat, if you can get past the mirage that a good buy in a boat means a cheap purchase price.
Old 02-02-2009

schred is on a distinguished road
I appreciate the input. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Here are the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Be aware that Tartan has had some issues, and if the Tartan 3000 is one of their more recent epoxy-build hulls, you may want to avoid it. Also, if the boat is a newer one, that is supposed to have warranty coverage, getting repairs done under the warranty may be problematic.
Enough already folks!

None of the Tartan 3000 models used epoxy and production was stopped long ago...
http://www.tartanownersweb.org/model...Tartan3000.pdf

Tartan 3000

Out-of-production 30-foot monohull aft-cockpit fiberglass sloop from Tartan Yachts. Designed by Sparkman & Stevens. Formerly built in the USA. 97 produced from 1981 to 1988.

Photo by Joe McCary