Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Looking to Buy Off Shore

What are the feelings of Sailnet members toward buying a boat off shore. I know the US and Canada seem to be fairly compatible trading partners and deal more frequently between each other.

How about buying outside NAFTA, say Trinidad or Turkey or New Zealand or the USA from those places. How does one legally protect one's self from fraudulent collusion and or incompetent representation, yet alone against the obvious risk from language barriers, especially with New Zealand.

Is it just best to shop close to home, or can a bargain be worth the risk?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I looked at buying in Canada since I am across the lake in NY. There was no issue whatever IF the boat was originally made in either Canada or the US (or any other country in NAFTA but they dont make boats so it isnt an issue). So, I was looking at a used CS36 and it could be bought in Canada for export to the US without paying Canadian tax (though NY would get their bite when I arrived if I were to register it there). However, if I were buying a boat made in, say, France, then the rules are whatever they are for importing a boat from France even though I bought the boat in Canada. NAFTA has "rules of origin" that apply to things made within the area vs. those made outside.
Old 02-05-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The main problem I see is that unless you find a very exceptional value, what you save on price, can be easily eaten up in other costs. Be they of a legal nature, commissioning/transport, or simply getting back and forth to make the purchase.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The other issue is the boat itself. Is it free and clear of leins and is the ownership unencumbered? Was it an insurance boat written off after a hurricane and then repaired without disclosure that you will find it impossible to insure? Is the surveyor you can trust or a local in cahoots with the seller/broker?
Of course, it is entirely possible to get a good boat and a good deal, but you need some extra vigilance to protect your interests.
Old 02-05-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The other issue is the boat itself. Is it free and clear of leins and is the ownership unencumbered? Was it an insurance boat written off after a hurricane and then repaired without disclosure that you will find it impossible to insure? Is the surveyor you can trust or a local in cahoots with the seller/broker?
Of course, it is entirely possible to get a good boat and a good deal, but you need some extra vigilance to protect your interests.
Cam make a very good point. I know of a New Jersey boat yard that buys Insurance write offs from the islands. Once repaired they are moved and sold in Canada there by getting around the Salvage title if it was sold in Jersey.

Never Forgotten