Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009

Nadir is on a distinguished road
First Boat- Ericson 25+

Hi,
I learned to sail last year on 24' sharks on Lake Ontario. I have been searching for a sailbaot I could sail for many years on Lake Ontario. Due to mooring costs I have decided on a 25' sailboat. Something that is fun and stable enough to sail around lake ontario and is easy to maintain. I have been in touch with a gentleman who is selling his Ericson 25+ sailboat. It has a Yanmar inboard desiel engine as well. It has a 4' 11" fixed keel. The boat weighs 5000lbs with 2000lbs of Balast. It is a saltwater boat and I will be bring it to a freshwater lake.
Questions:
1. I have never sailed this boat and I won't be able to do so till I buy it in the next couple of weeks. Do you feel since I have sailed sharks this boat will be comparatively good to sail. I am not a racer but I do enjoy the boat when it heels?
2. Is this a good boat to buy (quality wise & maintainace wise)?
3. Saltwater to freshwater. Any things I should look out for and any preventive measures to take in protecting the boat.

Any other advise you have will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2009

jldooley is on a distinguished road
please,
there is so much lacking in this post. I dont know where to start. I doubt if anyone intellegent responds.
why can you not test sail the boat prior to purchase? distance Ebay purchaser??
wtf i am not this bored.
just do it
Old 02-05-2009

jildooley please don't waste your precious time to reply if you don't have an answer to the questions. As you are so intelligent you maybe surprised to know that in winter time we don't sail on lake ontario as the water is frozen and also where I am purchasing the boat from the weather conditions are the same.
Old 02-05-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Hi Nadir, welcome aboard.

You probably will not find anyone here who will recommend you purchase a boat, essentially sight-unseen. However, I don't think your post is as "out there" as mr dooley.

I am not familiar with this particular boat, or the shark; am I correct in thinking the shark is something of a centerboard skiff deal? If so, I think the Ericson might be a bit different for you; but I don't know.

Your choice really depends upon how much money the new boat costs, and how much you are willing to risk.

I hope someone can help you more than I; I just wanted to chime in and let you know that we aren't ALL that curmudgeonly. LOL
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-05-2009

AjariBonten Thank You very much for yor reply.
The shark is a keel boat (sailquest.com/market/models/shark.htm). I am getting a survey done by a marine surveyor prior to purchasing the boat. The gentleman selling the boat is asking $11500/ it is a 1983 year boat. It will cost me another $3000 or so (I have to confirm) by the time I get it over to lake Ontario. After the survey is done, I intend to go and have a look at the boat before I purchase it.
I need help from the SailNet Community to share their wisdom about the Ercison 25+ , advise me on my questions and about any potential pitfalls in purchasing this boat.
Thanks.
Old 02-05-2009

wolfshead13 is on a distinguished road
If you learned on a shark you'll have no trouble with the Ercison as far as sailing her goes but she will feel a little sluggish in comparism. Docking and mooring will be a little less responsive too remember the shark was a fairly hot boat for her size the Ercison is a bit less of a racer.
have you looked in ontario i onlyn ask because there was an Ercison 25+ for sale in Penetanguishene (lake huron) for $9750. Dont know anything about it , a buddy had mentioned it to me around christmas.
Old 02-05-2009

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
There is quite a few threads about Ericson down in the Boat Builders Row on this forum. Have you check out that section?
Old 02-05-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Is it in Mystic CT?

1985 Ericson 26 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

pretty little boat
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-05-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Ericson makes a good boat, I sailed a 25 centerboard-version many years ago, a nice boat but very tender, the keel model is probably a fine sailor.

That said, $11.5K is a lot of money for this age/size. The boat may be worth that, if in prime condition and well-equipped.

My advice is to hold off on the survey and first look at that boat, and similar listings from New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com. There are several Ericsons in your region, plus look at similar boats like C&C and Catalina.

These are all good makes. After you have looked at 5-6 boats, you can develop a much better feel for value and for what makes you smile when you see her...the most expensive boat may be the best value...or may not. After you've seen a set of boats. make a reasonable offer on the one you like, reasonable being based on how you compare that boat to the others in value. Do a survey only after you have an accepted offer.
Old 02-05-2009

M275sailer is on a distinguished road
There is what looks like a mint c & c advertised in Kijjii Toronto for 10k that I think would serve you well and I am sure the c & c is even more popular on L. Ont. than even the shark. They look like a fast cruiser, and you would have other boats to race or get information from. I also spotted a Mirage 26 with a diesel that also looked great on the same site for 17k, another fast cruiser, I know my Mirage 275 is :-)If you take in your transport costs and such that might be within the budget as well. Lots of Mirage boats in Ontario too. Have fun searching.