Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
That pic does not look as good as the YW pics, but still a pretty boat! It has a little dirt from rain it appears on the hull. It would be way more boat than what you were looking, for very little more. Some of the C27's rated under the old IOR half ton ratings, so in that sense, reasonably quick boats.

marty
Old 02-06-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I went down to peek at it today, and it is indeed in very good shape, but not great shape. The deck has a lot of cracks in it, not alligatoring cracks, and not stress cracks. Not sure how to describe them, I guess a survey would tell me. In any event the deck needs to be sanded, repainted, and new antiskid layed down at the very least. I can get better pictures of the deck tomorrow, it was very hard to stand up there, and take pictures. Gelcoat+ice=very slippery. I'm going back there with the broker and my wife tomorrow. Today a very friendly service guy let me up to see it (He has a 2005 Hunter 33, and had a Pearson 323 before that). What I got from being inside the boat is, very large and roomy salon, very very cramped head and v-berth. I'm not sure this is the boat for me. Other boats this size I have been in are the Hunter 27 which has the perfect interior, exactly what I want, and an Ericson 27, which was similar to the Catalina, but the head didn't seem so cramped. Or maybe it's just what I was wearing today, snow boots that make me 6'1" tall, and winter jacket. Tomorrow it will be warmer, I'll spend more time inside.

Hull in nice shape, no signs of impacts, original gelcoat still shines

Bottom in great shape except for a spot on the keel that has been repaired...

Geared folding prop, very nice...

Boom looks newer, some hardware upgrades needed here like adding a genny furler, getting rid of that halyard winch on the mast, new lifelines...

This space would be fine for kids, not for adults...

And I need to add these pics to the "see-thru hull" thread, it's a very bright day with 2 feet of snow on the ground, loo what you can see, you can even see through the bottom paint and epoxy barrier coat. It's actually very cool lighting up there with the light blocked from the salon. Look at the previous pic with the flash carefully, even then you can still see light coming through, completely normal...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The winch on the mast is an easy move. The genoa furler, figure a boat unit or two for the furler, IIRC one has to remove the forestay to put one one. Along with about $7-8 per lin ft of your jib luff to put on luff tape vs the hanked on jibs. Or about $200-300 for a jib on this boat.

Life lines, again, are very doable yourself with either no wire or Amsteel rope/line. A repair or two to the keel for a boat that age, frankly, while not normal, I would still put it in the "not suprised" catagory. She does look well loved overall, and would be a good boat for daysailing, weekending, occasional week long depending upon how much room you need.

Are the cracks around the lifeline stanchins? or near something equal? If so, then it may not be anything major if in the gelcoat itself. If it goes deep, then it is an issue.

marty
Old 02-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Are the cracks around the lifeline stanchins? or near something equal? If so, then it may not be anything major if in the gelcoat itself. If it goes deep, then it is an issue.

marty
The cracks are kinda random, not really near any stress points. Most of the deck is covered with snow, so I can only see about 10% of it. I'll have a better idea tomorrow when it's all cleaned off.
Old 02-08-2009

Got a better look at it yesterday, the cracks all appear to be minor, evenly spaced around the cabintop. No soft spots noticed (did Catalina even use Balsa on these? Is it all plywood core?) All deck hardware has been rebedded, all have backing plates, no stress cracks around any hardware. the winches are kinda rough and will need replacing. Overall though it's a very nice boat, it's just not for me. The interior and cockpit are too cramped, which is why I want a more modern design in that size.