Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009

nemier is on a distinguished road
Catalina 445

Has anyone seen the new Catalina 445 or want to discuss it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
To be introduced April 15th! Just in time for your tax refund!
Old 02-08-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
Looks nice to me...like the idea of a "multi-purpose" storage or other room. I nice ammenity for cruisers and liveaboards.

I am surpised that the LWL is only 38' given that fairly plumb bow. But how they can get a boat this big to only draw 4'10" is impressive. That' only a few inches deeper than my 350.
Old 02-08-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
It looks like a nice boat, love the rear cabin and workshop, but I think they need to liven up the styling a bit. Seems kinda light for a 45' boat, only 20,000 lbs?
Old 02-09-2009

I'm really interested in this boat, can't wait to see it. We had a C-36 mkII and loved that while we had it (5 yrs). I had basically made my mind up that my next sailboat would be the C-400. I went onto the Catalina website to view the C-400 again and saw the new 445 and thought ....hello, what have we here....? I think the admiral would have preferred the master aft, that is my only drawback at this point, but personally I like the master forward - to be close to the anchor for checking when on the hook.
Old 02-09-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Personally...I don't like the layout & design at all. Seems like Cat is getting more and more "dock" oriented with a Hunter like obsession with interiors that only make sense when tied to a dock.
I note that there is no reference in the preliminary specs for how the hull/deck joint is being done...just the mention of an inward flange. Usually they comment on "through bolted on 8" centers" or similar. Wondering if this is simply a preliminary oversight or a real change.
BTW...I am a Catalina fan...just don't like the direction they are going.
Old 02-09-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Personally...I don't like the layout & design at all. Seems like Cat is getting more and more "dock" oriented with a Hunter like obsession with interiors that only make sense when tied to a dock.
I note that there is no reference in the preliminary specs for how the hull/deck joint is being done...just the mention of an inward flange. Usually they comment on "through bolted on 8" centers" or similar. Wondering if this is simply a preliminary oversight or a real change.
BTW...I am a Catalina fan...just don't like the direction they are going.
Agreed.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-09-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
I'm really interested in this boat, can't wait to see it. We had a C-36 mkII and loved that while we had it (5 yrs). I had basically made my mind up that my next sailboat would be the C-400. I went onto the Catalina website to view the C-400 again and saw the new 445 and thought ....hello, what have we here....? I think the admiral would have preferred the master aft, that is my only drawback at this point, but personally I like the master forward - to be close to the anchor for checking when on the hook.
But the 400 for a master aft and lots of room (our choice). It honestly is one of the best boats made. She is fast, sure footed, points well (at least the pre hull 307-312's did... the newer ones fo not point quite as well). She has great storage and is well apportioned.

Buy the 42 for a master forward or for 3 cabins. She points well (almost as well as the pre 307 c400's) and is pretty fast. She is not as sure footed as the 400 and not as fast, but there are some positives in the design along with some negative tradeoffs. I would be happy to discuss.

Buy the 470 if you can afford more money and really like the layout of the 400, but NEED (NEED) more room and storage. I like the boat and going back, I would have strongly considered it. Still like our 400 better for our use.

If spending 150k or under and want to go cruising, buy the 380 (no longer in production). We LA'd it and it is solid.

If more coastal, buy the 36. No longer in production either.

I can discuss any of the above boats in detail if you want. I prefer the older Catalinas to the newer changes. Even the 400 has gone under many changes I am not happy with.

Let me know id you want more details.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-09-2009

Yes, Brian, I'd like more details.
I was really disappointed to hear what you and Camaraderie were saying about the 445, I'm sobbing over my keyboard - well, not quite.
Dock orientated? No, that will not do. I must have a boat that can sail well and get into the groove. But the Admiral must also like it, and from the first look, I was hoping that we just might have the perfect compromise.
The 400 is definitely a contender but the Admiral wants something a little bigger. I guess it may be the 470, if not the 445.
- Is the 445 dockish like the 350?
- would You take your 400 south through the canal, & over to Polynesia, with your family onboard?
On all points, please advise.
Old 02-09-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
The 350 is "dockish"? And since when is "dockish" even a word? It sounds like some sort of dog. I wouldn't describe my 350 as dockish, though maybe there's an option that I don't have.

As long as I'm taking exceptions to things, I'll also take exception to saying that the new 445 (which no one has actually seen) needs to "liven up the styling"...the whole thing that makes Catalinas great (IMHO) is that while the styling evolves, all Catalinas still look like Catalinas.