SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for Bluewater Cruiser

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mskl 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to sailnet. I sailed an old Tartan 30 for years, did a lot of offshore cruising, but was young and dumb. My kids are almost grown, and my wife and I want to get back to sailing beyond bareboating. I'm looking for a serious bluewater cruiser capable of long ocean voyages. I've read "Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore yachts", "Seaworthiness", and now, I'm reading Calder's Offshore Cruising Guide. The common thread seems to be a heavier displacement boat with narrower beam, more volume underwater, fuller keel, etc. I'm glad I didn't know any of this when I was sailing in my 20's.

What do people think of the Pan Oceanics (43 and 46), the Westsails (42,43). They look very comfortable and, unfortunately, very slow. Safety is now my #1 priority. Any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Michael Smith
Weston, CT

#3 ·
What's your price range and desired length?

Based on the example you cited in your post, I'll assume you're looking for something in the 40-45' range. That being the case, I'd personally also check out the following:

Baba/Panda 40
Southern Cross 39
PSC 37/40
Cabo Rico 38/41
Halberg-Rassy 38-42
Valiant 40
Hans Christian 41/43
Shannon 38
TransWorld 41

That oughta keep you busy for a while!

#7 ·
By the way; we seem to be browsing the same market, except that I'm 3 - 5 years away from a purchase at that price point.

#8 ·
Welcome to the search. Try doing a forum search of "bluewater." I tried to post a link, but haven't chattered enough to qualify. :)

There is another link for best books. I have the books you've listed, but you may also want to check out the 2nd edition of Beth Leonard's "The Voyager's Handbook." She wrote the first edition after completing a circumnavigation in a modified keel ketch (Shannon), but the 2nd edition is after they have been cruising in a steel-hull fin keel cutter, so it has a good bit of insight into the advantages/disadvantages of various arrangements.

I am still in my search for the boat, so I can't offer much assistance beyond offering resources I've been using.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Thanks for the book recommendation. I'd definitely like to get a different perspective. It makes sense to me to have a boat that wants to roll back up from a knockdown to 140 degrees, but that characteristic only seems to be possible with those massive full keels and huge displacements.
Like you, Elzaar, I'm still in the "sorting out all the information" stage.

#10 ·
With all due respect, I suggest that you quit listening to the mythology and looking at out of date guides to bluewater boats. The reality is that many of the heavy displacement, full keel cruisers actually have substantially smaller angles of positive stability than modern fin keel boats, and few on the list of offshore cruisers above achieve 140 degrees of positive righting moment.

While a heavier displacement boat with narrower beam, more volume underwater, fuller keel, etc. is one valid way to go, the majority of offshore cruisers out there do not meet that description. But if that is the route that you are inclined to pursue, with your budget I suggest that you see if you can find a good clean Kelly Peterson 44 or 46.

Respectfully,
Jeff

#11 ·
Thanks Jeff,
I want to hear a different opinion from the one I am reading in my "out of date guides."
Frankly, I'm not sure which route I'm inclined to pursue. I'm not in love with the idea of a heavy displacement hull, but I want a boat that is comfortable to sail and hates being upside down.
What are some of the fin keel boats with comparable angles of positive stability?

Still learning,
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.