Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
Well, we really didn't have a lot of choice - she had to be brought home soon, as the previous owner (Ahh! how nice to be able to say that instead of current owner!) needed his slip. It was either take her home in the cold (but fair winds) or leave her on transient moorage at easy 50$ a night and quickly eat through any savings we may have made on her. Plus, there's something to be said for pushing yourself - I wonder how much of a mental block it would have created if we'd told ourselves "no, we should wait. It's too rough/cold out today." That would linger in the back of our minds, likely making us hesitant to attempt another roughish crossing. It always amazes me how much of a drogue the "I can't do it" mindset can be...

If only our sail problem could be resolved so easily! The vang was loose, as were the main sheets and pseudo-cunningham. We were pointed dead into the wind, so it wasn't filled as we hoisted. We have the engine off for some much needed TLC (though she ran like a champ! A bit rough to start, but got us the ~70nm home without stalling or anything!) but we'll try to hoist this weekend and see what exactly is going on.

As for the other sails, I'm thrilled with the funny dual-track jib-hoist system (apart from her tendency to flap in the wind while on the hook, and her one jagged edge which tore a hole in my down vest ) I've never used one before. Apparently, the idea is to be able to drop one sail while hoisting the second. However, the tracks seem to be different sizes? A lot less work than hanking, and much quicker to boot.

I'm very interested in seeing how she compares to the San Juan 24'! That was one of the other boats we'd considered. Apparently, she was designed as a competitor (read: to be a touch faster!) than the San Juan. Give us a few months to coax her back to health, and for me to teach the boy (and admitedly, fully remind myself!) how to sail spin, and we'll challenge you to a Sailnet Battle of the Classes sail-off
Old 03-13-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
I was a beginner so I did not realize the problem immediately but I have since come across the odd newbie suffering the same experience as me and was able to point out the problem, after which they got a good laugh.
Hehe, reminds me of the other day when I got a good laugh at the Admiral after she had been frustrated by attempts to check the battery voltage at the motor, but had neglected to take the protective plastic tips off the multimeter first. She got a good laugh at me after I too was frustrated -- because I had neglected to switch on the batteries

We all miss the obvious now and then.
Old 03-13-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Did you say it was a sail of a Thunderbird? Best info I can find is that your "P" meas is 30 vs the Tbird's 31 (thats the length of the main along the mast, btw.)

If the sail hasn't been modified that could be your problem right there.

Get yourself a 50' tape measure and check it out....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
I assume the sails are from a Thunderbird - I don't think they still have the T-bird insignia on the sail, but all the bags still have it on them. As I said above, it seems big for the space. However, with the adjustable boom height, perhaps we can make it fit. Is there any disadvantage to pulling the boom down lower? It looks like there's still about 10 inches to the top of the mast from the head of the sail when it's as snug as I can get it. I hope that will be enough to pull it up, but I'm starting to doubt that.

I've not been up the mast yet (we have a few masthead projects - wind indicator, refitting the halyard, possibly running a masthead light) so when I do I'll take some measurements. Actually, there's a question - how does one normally do masthead repairs/inspections on a 24' boat? I've only ever done them on a 42', when I just went up in a bosun's chair or climbing harness. Is it safe to go up on a boat this small, or would it be safer to simply drop the mast (*sigh*)?
Old 03-13-2009

shawmac is on a distinguished road
Uh oh, looks like we might be in trouble as we don't have a kite to fly! and are sporting some tired sails And YOUR boat looks like a bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah View Post
I've not been up the mast yet (we have a few masthead projects - wind indicator, refitting the halyard, possibly running a masthead light) so when I do I'll take some measurements. Actually, there's a question - how does one normally do masthead repairs/inspections on a 24' boat? I've only ever done them on a 42', when I just went up in a bosun's chair or climbing harness. Is it safe to go up on a boat this small, or would it be safer to simply drop the mast (*sigh*)?

Oh man, I have been plauged by this question as well! I have actually climbed half way up the mast using my climbing harness and slings (didn't get winched up a halyard) and that was enough of a struggle! I really don't want to drop the mast, but now it looks like our steaming light has finally packed it in

If you have any quick fixes, pending approval from the boss (girlfriend), the gf's suite balcony overhangs deep water that with the right jockeying and the right tide, is at masthead height (or at least the landlords above is at mid-tide when there is more water). I have also snuck onto the neighbours pier in the dark to replace the bulb in the steaming light :lol:
Old 03-13-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's safe enough to go up on a chair... make sure the halyard looks up to the task. The biggest problem with little boats is finding enough winch power to haul someone up. Set up another halyard along the mast (preferably rope) so you can pull yourself up and help yourself along. It will be noticeably less stable than the 42 footer up there.

If your sailbags all have a Thunderbird insignia, they may well be from a former sailmaker by that name, rather than meant for a Thunderbird 26. They (Thunderbird sails) were around back in the day. I suspect that you probably have Thunderbird sails, rather than a sail for a Thunderbird..... if you get what I mean!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.