SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   passport 40 around the world (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/5158-passport-40-around-world.html)

pmills42255 10-07-2002 03:34 PM

passport 40 around the world

I am looking at a Passport 40, 1981,
seems like a nice boat but not without its problems. Anyone with insight as to what I should be looking for relative to its age? Are these well founded boats What are they worth on the market these days? would you sail it around the world?
I like the interior- but that is not enough to buy it! Classic lines etc. lead me to believe she would point well.
thanks Paul

WHOOSH 10-09-2002 01:11 PM

Paul, where is the (one?) head? If it''s in the bow and there''s only one of them, that would disqualify it from further consideration by my crew and probably me.

Jack

DICKWATERS 10-13-2002 09:05 AM

Passport 40''s usually have a head built into the aft stateroom. This is a Robert Perry design, subsequent to the Valiant 40. Both boats were competetive circumnavigators in their day. The original design called for 130 gal. of water and 120 gal. of fuel. Perry''s use of an elongated fin keel with a skeg rudder was an inovation on the Valiant 40 and was continued on the Passport.

I own a 1984. It weighs 33,000 lbs rather than the 23,000 lb design weight but it sails well and is an excellent liveaboard for two people. My previous boat was a J34/C and I am not disapppointed the Passport''s sailing ability.

Most older Passports were equipped with Engines such as the Nanni Diesel that are now discontinued. Hard to find parts. I would factor in a new engine if this is the case.

DICKWATERS 10-13-2002 09:05 AM

Passport 40''s usually have a head built into the aft stateroom. This is a Robert Perry design, subsequent to the Valiant 40. Both boats were competetive circumnavigators in their day. The original design called for 130 gal. of water and 120 gal. of fuel. Perry''s use of an elongated fin keel with a skeg rudder was an inovation on the Valiant 40 and was continued on the Passport.

I own a 1984. It weighs 33,000 lbs rather than the 23,000 lb design weight but it sails well and is an excellent liveaboard for two people. My previous boat was a J34/C and I am not disapppointed the Passport''s sailing ability.

Most older Passports were equipped with Engines such as the Nanni Diesel that are now discontinued. Hard to find parts. I would factor in a new engine if this is the case.

DICKWATERS 10-13-2002 09:07 AM

Pls note my email address is dickwaters1103@yahoo.com. Sorry for the duplicate message. I have troubles with this site.