Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009

nika44 is on a distinguished road
Pounding on a Beneteau 423

We are looking at Beneteau 423s and heard that they have a tendency to pound. Has anyone else experienced this and if so which models are not as likely to do this, the new 40?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
As with this, everything is relative. Having recently delivered one over a 600 mile trip, my opinion is that it does but not more than any other relatively flat bottom boat - the fwd section of the hull is quite flat and some pounding is expected. Whether or not you would find it objectionable or disconcerting is more a matter of your perception relative to what you are willing to ignore. My only concern was that the fwd hull section "oil canned" noticeably making the trip more of an ordeal than we would have preferred.
Old 02-16-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
My only concern was that the fwd hull section "oil canned" noticeably making the trip more of an ordeal than we would have preferred.
That's awfully interesting. I had not heard that about that model. Would you describe how you discerned that she oil canned? I'm not disputing what you say, I'm just curious how you came to the conclusion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2009

dell30rb is on a distinguished road
My dad has an 03 that I have alot of experience with. The only time I can ever remember pounding hard was motoring straight into 20 knots of wind in the Chesapeake bay with 3-4 foot swells. I can't remember any other time its pounded hard. For the style of hull that it is I don't think its tendency to pound is excessive.

Its a shoal draft model with in-mast furling. Not a huge fan of the in-mast furling. Although I've never seen it seriously jammed I would definitely say it can be a cranky system at times. I think the sail has possibly been stretched a little out of shape. Also make sure you get one that came with the larger genoa sheet winches. Ours has the upgrade option from the factory and I think handling the genoa with anything less would be difficult.
Old 02-16-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Would you describe how you discerned that she oil canned? I'm not disputing what you say, I'm just curious how you came to the conclusion.
Daniel (Or anybody),
Can you please define "Oil Canning"? I am not familiar with that term.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-16-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Don't worry with the pounding...maybe they pound a bit more than deeper narrower hull design, but it sure sails better...

It's a sailboat that sails...go for it, don't let it be an issue.

You can buy an Old Shoe that doesn't pound, but doesn't sail either..

And you will end up sailing more time, than pounding..

GO FOR IT
Old 02-16-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Daniel (Or anybody),
Can you please define "Oil Canning"? I am not familiar with that term.

Tim, ever smash a soda can same thing! Flexing bow to stern!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 02-16-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
The hull bending in and out, sort of like what happens with an old-fashioned oil can when you squeeze it to get the oil out. It sort of "pops" in and out. It happens sometimes on some boats when you have large unsupported hull sections and you are in sporty conditions. The hull works and moves, and pops in and out in those larger unsupported sections, and mimics the movement of those old-fashioned oil can when you squeeze it to get the oil out.

Old 02-16-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
That's awfully interesting. I had not heard that about that model. Would you describe how you discerned that she oil canned? I'm not disputing what you say, I'm just curious how you came to the conclusion.
Because of the way in which these hulls are stiffened (with a pan), access to the hull is limited to areas where thruhulls are located. The obvious place where we all saw the hull repeated deflection was under the fwd head sink where the hull is visible. One of the crew subsequently did some more digging after I left the boat and found other apparent fatigue damage which i won't reiterate further not having seen it personally.

I am not intending to disparage anything or anyone's choice of boat; just respond objectively...
Old 02-16-2009

nika44 is on a distinguished road
Well now that this raises some issues with the 423, what do any of you know about the new Beneteau 40? Does the new hull shape make it less likely to have the pounding and the "oil canning"