Canadian Boat Insurance - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-18-2009
sab30's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
sab30 is on a distinguished road
Canadian Boat Insurance

Tried to price out insurance on couple of boats we are looking at. Even though the boat will be purchased and kept in the US as a home port, I have to purchase insurance in Canada.

I spoke to one broker who stated $4000 a year for $250,000 coverage (3 yr old 43ft boat) which would cover all West Coast (Canada to Panama) $5,000 deductable and $1,000,000 liability. Does that seems reasonable? I questioned whether this could be shopped and she said there are cheaper premiums but the wording is too restrictive for an international policy of this nature. It was offered by Lloyds and Im wondering if anyone else has experience with a good company (ies) for comparison in Canada?

Oh and she also mentioned that some companies like Mexico wont allow certain boats in from certain companies until you puchase mexcian insurance???? She said that because Lloyds was well accepted and known this wouldnt be the case with them....sounded suspicious..maybe not....maybe someone could confirm if this is true or not.

Thanks....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 02-18-2009
wolfshead13's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
wolfshead13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab30 View Post
Tried to price out insurance on couple of boats we are looking at. Even though the boat will be purchased and kept in the US as a home port, I have to purchase insurance in Canada.

I spoke to one broker who stated $4000 a year for $250,000 coverage (3 yr old 43ft boat) which would cover all West Coast (Canada to Panama) $5,000 deductable and $1,000,000 liability. Does that seems reasonable? I questioned whether this could be shopped and she said there are cheaper premiums but the wording is too restrictive for an international policy of this nature. It was offered by Lloyds and Im wondering if anyone else has experience with a good company (ies) for comparison in Canada?

Oh and she also mentioned that some companies like Mexico wont allow certain boats in from certain companies until you puchase mexcian insurance???? She said that because Lloyds was well accepted and known this wouldnt be the case with them....sounded suspicious..maybe not....maybe someone could confirm if this is true or not.

Thanks....
I have a 25 footer and its insured with CAA. Their only requirement was a survey and it is coverage for anywhere in the world. The value for my boat is quite different (7800.00)cdn with $500 deductable and 1,000,000.00 liability bit it runs $250.00 a year.
__________________
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 02-18-2009
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,604
Thanks: 67
Thanked 178 Times in 174 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We pay about 1%... ie $500/yr for 50,000 coverage. If that's "standard" then the rates quoted you seem quite high.

We are coastal cruisers, and do have navigational limitations, but a couple of years ago we wanted to go beyond them, and call the carrier to arrange a rider... there was no need, they simply wanted to be informed if we were planning to travel outside the standard area.

I'd think you could "shop around"... I'm curious why you are required to buy Canadian insurance....
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 02-18-2009
sab30's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
sab30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We pay about 1%... ie $500/yr for 50,000 coverage. If that's "standard" then the rates quoted you seem quite high.

We are coastal cruisers, and do have navigational limitations, but a couple of years ago we wanted to go beyond them, and call the carrier to arrange a rider... there was no need, they simply wanted to be informed if we were planning to travel outside the standard area.

I'd think you could "shop around"... I'm curious why you are required to buy Canadian insurance....

Im told by everyone that unless Im a US citizen then I have to purchase in Canada as a Canadian/UK citizen. Boat will also be registered in Canada.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 02-18-2009
sab30's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
sab30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshead13 View Post
I have a 25 footer and its insured with CAA. Their only requirement was a survey and it is coverage for anywhere in the world. The value for my boat is quite different (7800.00)cdn with $500 deductable and 1,000,000.00 liability bit it runs $250.00 a year.

Hi Wolf..

Yes looked at CAA but $150,000 max. policy
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 02-18-2009
AdamLein's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
AdamLein will become famous soon enough
You haven't explicitly stated that you need offshore coverage for the west coast. I suspect that's one of the biggest factors affecting price, so if you don't actually have a specific plan in mind to sail to San Diego this year, go with the "restricted" coverage for $500 or so.

My broker is HUB International and they found me coverage with a price tag I could tolerate a lot better than what you were offered. I was specifically looking for something that wouldn't have to be completely redone if I moved the boat to Canada... not exactly your situation but same universe.
__________________
s/v Essorant
1972 Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 02-18-2009
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 14,604
Thanks: 67
Thanked 178 Times in 174 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab30 View Post
Im told by everyone that unless Im a US citizen then I have to purchase in Canada as a Canadian/UK citizen. Boat will also be registered in Canada.
Ah, I see.... we currently have some friends cruising Mexico - 2 different couples, actually.... Next time I'm in contact I'll try to find out what they've done. Both left BC last August and are now in the PV/Manzinillo area.
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 02-18-2009
Here .. Pull this
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,031
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I would expect that cruising insurance on a boat that is valued at $250K would be somewhere around $3K/annum. Insurance for coastal use should be 1% of agreed value, and I am under the impression that the offshore rider would be about $1K - but I might be low on that.

It seems the liability that you have been quoted on is low - a lot of marinas and clubs want 2 million coverage to let you tie up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 02-18-2009
sab30's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
sab30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
You haven't explicitly stated that you need offshore coverage for the west coast. I suspect that's one of the biggest factors affecting price, so if you don't actually have a specific plan in mind to sail to San Diego this year, go with the "restricted" coverage for $500 or so.

My broker is HUB International and they found me coverage with a price tag I could tolerate a lot better than what you were offered. I was specifically looking for something that wouldn't have to be completely redone if I moved the boat to Canada... not exactly your situation but same universe.
The broker I talked to stated that as soon as the boat leaves local waters (ie south of Seattle) they process as a bluewater application...bluewater or not...

Im gonna check with Hub...had them before and they did a good job..I thought $2500-3000 would be fair...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 02-19-2009
AdamLein's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 1,866
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Yeah, my warranty with Hub lets me go somewhat down the Washington coast and all the way up to Alaska. Check them out.

Also I'd second Sailormann's point about liability requirements... $1M or $2M is what I'd heard in most places around Puget Sound I stopped.
__________________
s/v Essorant
1972 Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What can you tell from the numbers? brazilnut Boat Review and Purchase Forum 10 07-01-2009 04:09 PM
The Search for the First Boat - long learning curves pmoyer Boat Review and Purchase Forum 45 12-20-2008 01:28 AM
Perils of a Pleasure Boat Insurance. DonQuijotedelMar General Discussion (sailing related) 4 07-12-2007 11:03 PM
Two-Boat Tuning Dean Brenner Racing Articles 0 03-13-2002 07:00 PM
The Balance of Hull and Sails Steve Colgate Buying a Boat Articles 0 05-25-2000 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012