Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAWhim67 View Post
Thanks ratty, let me know when you revive the HR 28 website...I was wondering what happened to that site. I've had mine for about 10 years now and she still sails great!
I'll second the motion for an HR28 website. Really missing Daniel's site.
Buffalo, NY USA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2009

ratty is on a distinguished road
Hey Paul,
I tried to send a personal message via this site but I need to have 5 posts to be able to do that. The delay in getting the site up has been due to spending all my spare time sailing the boat! I'd be interested in getting any images any HR28 owner would like to share. Prior to our last trip I shot a pile of images of the HR28 across the dock from us and there are some significant differences in his newer and our older variant of the boat. I want to highlight these items and am also interested in documenting any mods/fixes/hacks owners have done to their HR28's. Who knows what happened to Daniel. Sometimes people just get tired of maintaining a site. I anticipate having mine up around the first or second week of September.
Fair winds!
Old 08-23-2009

ratty is on a distinguished road
Caught my mistake Paul. Our buddy across the dock has #55, not #53.
Cheers
Old 08-23-2009

OnAWhim67 is on a distinguished road
HR 28 Hull #54

Hello all,
I have a few pics of On A Whim I could share if you're getting your site up. I was thinking...if the boat they talked about had a lot of custom work done it may indeed have been cast earlier than mine but registered later. The hull number is when the cast it at the factory I would think...not the date its done and registered. I'm running a 2008 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke high thrust in mine. It sits in the well and I do have problems with growth and need to pull it from time to time. The new 9.9 has electric tilt and I've pondered cutting a notch in the back so I can trim the prop out of the water, but am not sure what that would do for the integrity. In the Chesapeake growth occurs in a few months no matter how much I antifoul it. The soft paint works well on the hull, but the outboard always seems to get crusty. I think I'm close to 5 posts so I can probably put some pics up soon. I'm sitting in Fells Point in downtown Baltimore. Fall cruises down the Chesapeake are wonderful, although this August heat and humidity make it a chore this time of year. Looking forward to seeing your site...i wonder if you can get a list of people from the previous site to come aboard.

Bob
Old 08-24-2009
Hinterhoeller HR28

Lightbulb

Hey OnAWhim,

On Orion, we switched to a Nissan 9.8 long remote electric with HT prop last year. Works very well. Would have preferred a 15, but that would have required a shoehorn to install, and would have been a real bear to take in and out, being more than 25 pounds heavier.

Being in freshwater Lake Ontario, the growth is a lot less than you get. We are using Aurora antifouling wax (made in Canada) on the LU and prop for the first time this year. So far, it seems to be doing OK. Be careful using AF paints on the LU, since "regular" copper bottom paints will attack the aluminum housing. We never had really good results using any (even TriLux, made for outdrives) AF paint on the old 'rude OB -- had problems keeping the paint adhered to the LU.

Our hull (#53) was originally equipped with a short shaft OB, which could tilt inside the lazarette. If we were in a really high fouling area, or racing every week, we might well go back to short shaft to get the LU out of the water during the off days when we don't sail, or when racing.

I was thinking that if we wanted to be able to tilt a long OB, we would redesign the inner "false transom" motor mount, making it an articulated setup. That would be a big job. Since we have a relatively short season (late April - early October) in cool freshwater -- with minimal fouling (except for the damned zebra mussels), it's a lot easier to keep it as is.

I suppose you could open up the outer transom, but you would definitely want to reinforce the cutout area a lot. If you don't motor in huge waves much, maybe a better setup would be to run a short shaft OB, and just tilt it into the lazarette when done for the day.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 08-24-2009
Hinterhoeller HR28

Ratty,

I think that many of the HR28's were semi-custom. I know that ours was a special order, because the original purchaser wanted a stand-up head compartment. We have done a few simple mods -- installed shore power, upgraded the DC system, constructed gas lockers in the lazarette, added a CDI furler, Dutchman, and Tides Marine Strong track, and have dorade boxes going on soon.

Would be happy to contribute a few pix to your site once it's running.

Where do you usually sail?
mario tremblay likes this.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 09-27-2010

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
I'll third a vote for an HR 28 website... I just acquired Hull 64 with a fair amount of refit work needed.
Old 08-22-2011

mario tremblay is on a distinguished road
nice video of my hr #66

if somebody want to see my hr 28, look on you tube for ( sarcelle-quebec)
Old 08-22-2011

nice video of my hr #66

look on you tube for (sarcelle-quebec)
Old 08-22-2011

good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanv1 View Post
I'll second the motion for an HR28 website. Really missing Daniel's site.
i saw Daniel
Cooper on his hr 28 this week end, (august 22 2011) ,,,,but he dont have time to keep his site alive..