SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Hinterhoeller HR28 - 1967 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/51709-hinterhoeller-hr28-1967-a.html)

RManning66 02-20-2009 12:17 PM

Hinterhoeller HR28 - 1967

any thoughts on this boat? They are asking $9000 canadian with a trailer included (which I would like). The gas engine is unreliable so I would likely want to swap it for somthing else (used ideally).

I would not offer the full price but I'd like to know anyone's thoughts on the hinterhoellers in general. Also, any advice on how much to pay for a 20hp diesel and how to get the work done?

thanks
RM

Faster 02-20-2009 01:01 PM

Here's a review by an obviously enthusiastic owner.. looks like a classic plastic that could be a nice boat if you get one that's been looked after.

http://www.sailnet.com/boatchk/showp...hp?product=819

Hinterhoeller was involved with C&C early on, and ultimately produced the Niagara and Nonsuch lines - which generally have a good rep. George Hinterhoeller gained his rep as a designer with the little ahead-of-its-time 24'Shark.

Heres a google search for some comparison shopping:

hinterhoeller hr 28 - Google Search

Valiente 02-20-2009 03:16 PM

H28s are very good, if Spartan by today's standards, lake boats. Think "Super-Shark". If it has an Atomic 4, it may be quite reliable indeed and can be rebuilt for less than the price of a new outboard. If it's just a crappy outboard in the well, the newer long-shafts are thriftier and quieter, but you still may have the issue of keeping the water out of the well. The HR-28 is very much a 'good old boat', but it will require a thorough survey, which might knock the price down as it is quite an elderly boat at this point.

Anyway, you might find this useful.

HINTERHOELLER 28

RManning66 02-24-2009 04:37 PM

It does indeed have an atomic 8. Any safety concerns if I just have her rebuilt, and not replaced by a diesel? Anything special I should know about the atomic 8?

rmanning

Gary M 02-24-2009 05:12 PM

It is an Atomic 4 which stands for 4 cylinders. While diesel is generaly preferred there are a huge number of older boats around that have given long service with an Atomic 4. They are readily rebuilt.

If you were to install a diesel you could get away with a 13-15 hp unit but the installation would likely be more than what you would pay for the boat.

Gary

pvanv1 02-26-2009 11:13 AM

We own Orion, hull number 53, which is a 1968 HR28. We sail on Lake Ontario, out of Wilson, NY. I believe we paid more than 9K cdn for her back around 1990. But of course everything is dependent on condition, as well as what both the buyer and seller are willing to accept for a price.

Ours is tiller-steered, OB equipped, and we are running a new 9.8 Nissan for the aux. If you have an A4-equipped HR28 and it needs a motor rebuild, you can buy a drop-in Universal diesel.

There is a lot to like about the HR28, and not too many downsides, though factory accommodations were Spartan to be sure. There were actually 2 series of HR28 hulls, and apparently 2 mast heights in addition. These boats were built specifically for the Great Lakes, and one has single-handedly made the trip to Cape Town (South Africa) and back.

They are heavily-built, have a PHRF around 200, and are typical of well-built, hand-laid racer/cruisers from the late 60's. There was a great website, but apparently the owner who ran it has disappeared.

Anything you want to know about the boat, just ask. I may have the answer.

OnAWhim67 02-28-2009 04:22 PM

Hull 53? 1968???

I own On A Whim and have the original registry. My boat says it was built in 1967 and is hull number 54. Are you sure about the year yours was built? Also does anyone know the difference between an HR28 and a Hinterhoeller 28? There seems to be two hull designs. They are close, but the specs don't quite match up. Was the difference the optional atomic 4??? On A Whim resides in Baltimore Maryland after I brought it up from Annapolis...

ratty 05-17-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnAWhim67 (Post 456043)
I own On A Whim and have the original registry. My boat says it was built in 1967 and is hull number 54. Are you sure about the year yours was built? Also does anyone know the difference between an HR28 and a Hinterhoeller 28? There seems to be two hull designs. They are close, but the specs don't quite match up. Was the difference the optional atomic 4??? On A Whim resides in Baltimore Maryland after I brought it up from Annapolis...

Hey,
HR 28 = Hinterhoeller 28
I'm not certain but I believe the build dates and hull numbers may be related to when the boat was first registered. We own the older variant and our Hull #25 has a Lloyd's registration date of 1966, yet there is another owner of Hull #23 who has a 1967 build date on his registry papers. Who knows why...

There are two different hulls. I believe the change occurred around Hull #49. The earlier variant came both with inboard engines and outboard wells as options as did the later. The earlier variant has a spoon entry at the bow as opposed to a more raked profile in the later. The later variant has much more volume above the waterline in the aft section and generally slightly more freeboard overall. Interiors are almost exactly the same with the newer model having much deeper storage in the bilge above the keel. The underwater profile of both models is virtually identical. Early models were fitted with only one set of lower shrouds while the later had dual inner shrouds. The very earliest models, say pre-20 had wooden spreaders. IIRC hulls pre-12 had a wooden boom as well. As far as mast height difference. I'm thinking this may be something of urban legend. I've bought the mainsail and a #2 jib from the newer #53 and they fit our boat almost exactly.

I've archived the previous HR 28 website content posted by Daniel Cooper in Quebec and am in the process of remounting a site dedicated to this good old boat. Keep a weather eye for that.
Cheers

OnAWhim67 05-20-2009 10:59 PM

Thanks ratty, let me know when you revive the HR 28 website...I was wondering what happened to that site. I've had mine for about 10 years now and she still sails great!

pvanv1 08-16-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnAWhim67 (Post 456043)

I know that my Builder's Plate shows "HR28 68 53". The sails that came on ORION were definitely identified 53, and the NY registration, NY 7259 BX, states 1968. Hugh Clifford (now deceased) of Olcott, NY was the first owner. He had it custom-built with amidships enclosed head, on starboard. The head compartment mimics the galley cabinet, but is built full height to the coachroof. Nice symmetry. We are the third owners, having purchased the boat around 1991 from Hedley's yard in Olcott, NY.