Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009

panamade is on a distinguished road
Electric problems on Catalina 27 purchase

Need to call on your infinite wisdom once more. I'm this close [...] to getting my first boat- talked someone down to $1500 for this Catalina 27 that looks like its in pretty good shape. Anyway, the biggest problem its got is that the navigation lights and a couple other electrical things do not work. Radio's fine, and the boat didn't sink, but it drew a little water when the bilge pump went out once. I've been on it several times and I think this is the one, but what am I looking at to get these electical problems fixed? I don't know. Thanks everybody.

Here's the post:
{Up for sale is my 77 Catalina. It has a inboard Yanmar 13hp diesel. Engine was rebuilt in late 90s, transmission just redone about 4 years ago. Fun boat. Sails great! Needs a little work but if you have the time to fix it this is a great deal! Boat was surveyed a few years ago and is valued at $11000! Some of the things I know are wrong with it:
lighting (navigation, deck, etc) does not work
slight tear in jib sail (still sailable)
bildge only works in auto and not manual mode
life-line on starboard side is broke
alternator is a little loose causing excessive noise
fuel gauge and tach do not work
engine kill switch does not work (you have to use the kill switch on the engine)
}
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
With all the electrical issues, I'd be wondering if this boat was sunk or submersed at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-21-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Those boats don't have a complicated electrical system, if it were mine I would rip the entire system out and start over. It's pretty much what I plan to do when I get a bigger boat anyway.
Old 02-21-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
thats a great price, cost to fix would be under a 1000, maybe less. it just might need bulbs or switches. as for the sail get it patched, or get a used one. the one worse part might be the tach.

get on the boat and look at the motor for rust, look at the alt i think some yanmars took the tach from the alt

you dont want it let me know.

edit the kill switch problem is a cable, might just need a good lube, maybe a new cable. for a little diy work you could rewire the whole boats lighting for a 1000.

Last edited by scottyt; 02-21-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2009

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
I bought a catalina 27 a in 2007 and it had the same issue with electrical i.e. nav lights not working. The boat was not used very often so it just sat around. THe nav lights in the front just happend to be bulbs were prolly original so they were dead. The mast top light still doesn't work ( I am thinking its bulbs again). The boat electrical is really easy anyway so if you need to trace the wires to figure out the problem its not hard at all, just use a good digital multimeter and check for connectivity.

1979 Catalina 27 Tall Rig
Day sailor on the
Hudson River-NY
Old 02-21-2009

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I'd be more concerned with the condition of the yanmar than the condition of the electrical. Start it, run it and get a compression test done. Electrical is relatively cheap, easy and straightforawrd- a diesel in need of a rebuild can get real expensive, real quick.

Although, at that price, you could repower and still be money ahead, providing everything else is in decent shape. Get a survey.
Old 02-21-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Check out the idler wheels on the steering. It is a real challenge to get your head down there to see them. Ours passed a survey but the idler wheels fell off, completely rusted off a few weeks later.
Good news is that they are easily purchased from Catalina. Just a challenge to put back in.
Any idea as to why the PO is willing to sell a boat for less than 20% of it's value. Makes a guy wonder.
Old 02-21-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
A Catalina 27 with a RUNNING Yanmar for $1500. Now that's a good deal.
Old 02-22-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
A Catalina 27 with a RUNNING Yanmar for $1500. Now that's a good deal.
Exactly, That's my point. Why?
Title, Engine, Hull, Deck
The difference between a 12,000 Catalina 27 and 1,500 Catalina 27 could be something hidden in one of those 4 categories.
Old 02-23-2009

panamade is on a distinguished road
OK, when I was out on the boat I did find something in the forward v-berth I should mention. On the port side, right under the bow, about a three foot fiberglass panel had been replaced it looked like. I really wasn't concerned by it though, because the glass job looked GOOD- from the outside you couldn't even tell it was new. I guess somebody might have hit the dock coming in once perhaps, but the owner didn't know anything about it. I guess that might bring the price down though, huh?