Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Irwin 34 1982

Today I went over to a sailing center open house, nearby in Riverside NJ. Checked out this I-34 just to see how bad it was, since it was one of the lowest price boats on the "list" the brokers gave out. it's a 1982, aft cockpit model. Nice layout! the owner has obviously put allot of work into it. mostly cosmetic I'd say. sadly, she was full in the bilge with rain water. dead batteries of course. I saw a Yanmar engine, all new ports large and small. new paint on the hull.. looked nice too. No blisters that I could find... so it got me thinking... Nah.. I have a boat! Anyway Just thought I'd mention it ... it could be a nice find but possibly the $23,900 price was on the high side.
fair winds a coming! someday?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 02-22-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: duh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
Denise: Don't scare me like that, I thought for a sec that you were turning your back on your O'day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn that's an old boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Today I went over to a sailing center open house, nearby in Riverside NJ. Checked out this I-34 just to see how bad it was, since it was one of the lowest price boats on the "list" the brokers gave out. it's a 1882 aft cockpit model. Nice layout! the owner has obviously put allot of work into it. mostly cosmetic I'd say. sadly, she was full in the bilge with rain water. dead batteries of course. I saw a Yanmar engine, all new ports large and small. new paint on the hull.. looked nice too. No blisters that I could find... so it got me thinking... Nah.. I have a boat! Anyway Just thought I'd mention it ... it could be a nice find but possibly the $23,900 price was on the high side.
fair winds a coming! someday?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2009

surfnrg is on a distinguished road
Irwin 1982

Just saw your post and thought to comment. Five of so years ago I purchased a 1984 34 ft Irwin Citation that was a neglected boat. In sum, I fixed her all up, starting with the five gallon bucket of bleach water and scrubbed her down (bye, bye moldy eye brow) and she instantly came out of her "diamond in the ruff" look and shined like a gem. Over the next few months I changed thru hulls, fixed blisters, polished the fuel, fixed leaky ports, changed filters, redid upholstrey, added auto pilot, etc. to bring her up to par for cruising the Bahamas. I went from the slowest "cruising" boats in the marina (31 ft Bombay Clipper) to one of the fastest (the 34 Irwin). She sailed so nice and had a quite modern looking interior. The only reason why I sold her was that I ran across a nice cruising catamaran that I fell in love with her so I sold the Irwin. The owners of the Irwin have taken her over to the Bahamas five times over the past 3 years without a problem (beside running his fuel tank dry which I'd say is human error - sorry Mark!) but otherwise the boat has been a very reliable and awesome looking boat. Check all the chain plates, fix any blisters (Irwins were notorious for that year range) and like any used boat be prepared to do some work. The new owners of the Irwin redid the entire sole and added cabinets (he did that type of work for Hinkley in Stuart, FL), added davits and I'd have to say it's the nicest looking Irwin 34 around. On the other hand, how do you like your O'Day 30 and what year is it? Since I just sold my catamaran I'm starting to think about picking up a 30 - 34 monohull to hold me over till my next cat. I looked at an O'Day 302 yesterday and it was a bit to neglected for me since this time around I'm more into buying a boat that isn't requiring ALOT of work to get into shape.
Old 02-22-2009

surfnrg is on a distinguished road
Oops, forgot to add. I sold my Irwin for $29K and it was in good shape and two years newer than the boat you mentioned.
Old 02-22-2009

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
I paid $8000 and shipping for mine, it's a 79 and there are differences between this one and mine. I think the glass is thicker and the keel is fared, no right angle at the hull/keel joint. I've heard of keel problems so if you jump, be sure to check for cracks along that joint. Mine needs all the work you've described. Got stainless ports at a big savings off e-bay, but all you need to do seems to be the clean up. Look at sails and running rigging just to be sure. I say make an offer well below asking and I wish you luck. They sail great, I've been told !
Old 02-22-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
An Irwin 34 just sank at the dock here in LI. Was pretty neglected and kept getting lower and lower in the water. Owner was contacted numerous times but never responded and then one day just the mast was sticking out of the water. Sorry - not pertaining to the boat you are talking about but an Irwin 34 never the less.
Old 02-22-2009
Sailboat adick

BUSHORE is on a distinguished road
I was owner of Irwin citation 30 1980 the main problem was the water which penetrated by the port-holes as well as the retractable skittle. But for the pleasure of navigation this sailing ship give me lots of fun for the money it cost me.
Old 02-22-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
surfnrg,
I'm not really thinking of buying the I-34, although I have toyed with the idea of selling my O-30 and my house to get a larger boat. If I ever decided to live aboard.
I like to think my Oday is in good condition. the survey I had when I bought the boat comfirms it's a good boat. there were of course many small things that needed attention, (still a few more too) Last spring we stripped the bottom and gave her a barrier coat of 2000E. Last winter we replaced the cutlass bearing, installed a PSS shaft seal, this past summer new water heater. I also had the dodger repaired and I restitched the Bimini, The universal 5416 runs great, it was replaced by the PO but there is no way to prove it other then it's painted white and there was no over spray in the engine compartment. Also made new ash tops for the saloon and nav tables. All the exterior teak was stained by me and varnished and needs attention again. sails are OK but I'd love to get new sails someday. I
she did come with a spinnaker and pole but I've never tried using them. There are a couple of soft spots on the coach roof and I plan to install hatches for more light in the same spots someday.
That I 34 would be nice, but not for me. I'd like a beamer boat if i were to live aboard.

My boat is for sale.

Old 02-23-2009

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
You didn't by any chance get some pictures of that I-34 in NJ? Irwin 34 is one of my favorite boats, but I found a few in very rough shape.
I'd love to see more pictures of that one in NJ...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.