SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Irwin 34 1982

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I went over to a sailing center open house, nearby in Riverside NJ. Checked out this I-34 just to see how bad it was, since it was one of the lowest price boats on the "list" the brokers gave out. it's a 1982, aft cockpit model. Nice layout! the owner has obviously put allot of work into it. mostly cosmetic I'd say. sadly, she was full in the bilge with rain water. dead batteries of course. I saw a Yanmar engine, all new ports large and small. new paint on the hull.. looked nice too. No blisters that I could find... so it got me thinking... Nah.. I have a boat! :eek: Anyway Just thought I'd mention it ... it could be a nice find but possibly the $23,900 price was on the high side.
fair winds a coming! someday?

#3 ·
Damn that's an old boat

Today I went over to a sailing center open house, nearby in Riverside NJ. Checked out this I-34 just to see how bad it was, since it was one of the lowest price boats on the "list" the brokers gave out. it's a 1882 aft cockpit model. Nice layout! the owner has obviously put allot of work into it. mostly cosmetic I'd say. sadly, she was full in the bilge with rain water. dead batteries of course. I saw a Yanmar engine, all new ports large and small. new paint on the hull.. looked nice too. No blisters that I could find... so it got me thinking... Nah.. I have a boat! :eek: Anyway Just thought I'd mention it ... it could be a nice find but possibly the $23,900 price was on the high side.
fair winds a coming! someday?

#4 ·
Irwin 1982

Just saw your post and thought to comment. Five of so years ago I purchased a 1984 34 ft Irwin Citation that was a neglected boat. In sum, I fixed her all up, starting with the five gallon bucket of bleach water and scrubbed her down (bye, bye moldy eye brow) and she instantly came out of her "diamond in the ruff" look and shined like a gem. Over the next few months I changed thru hulls, fixed blisters, polished the fuel, fixed leaky ports, changed filters, redid upholstrey, added auto pilot, etc. to bring her up to par for cruising the Bahamas. I went from the slowest "cruising" boats in the marina (31 ft Bombay Clipper) to one of the fastest (the 34 Irwin). She sailed so nice and had a quite modern looking interior. The only reason why I sold her was that I ran across a nice cruising catamaran that I fell in love with her so I sold the Irwin. The owners of the Irwin have taken her over to the Bahamas five times over the past 3 years without a problem (beside running his fuel tank dry which I'd say is human error - sorry Mark!) but otherwise the boat has been a very reliable and awesome looking boat. Check all the chain plates, fix any blisters (Irwins were notorious for that year range) and like any used boat be prepared to do some work. The new owners of the Irwin redid the entire sole and added cabinets (he did that type of work for Hinkley in Stuart, FL), added davits and I'd have to say it's the nicest looking Irwin 34 around. On the other hand, how do you like your O'Day 30 and what year is it? Since I just sold my catamaran I'm starting to think about picking up a 30 - 34 monohull to hold me over till my next cat. I looked at an O'Day 302 yesterday and it was a bit to neglected for me since this time around I'm more into buying a boat that isn't requiring ALOT of work to get into shape.

#6 ·
I paid $8000 and shipping for mine, it's a 79 and there are differences between this one and mine. I think the glass is thicker and the keel is fared, no right angle at the hull/keel joint. I've heard of keel problems so if you jump, be sure to check for cracks along that joint. Mine needs all the work you've described. Got stainless ports at a big savings off e-bay, but all you need to do seems to be the clean up. Look at sails and running rigging just to be sure. I say make an offer well below asking and I wish you luck. They sail great, I've been told !

#7 ·
An Irwin 34 just sank at the dock here in LI. Was pretty neglected and kept getting lower and lower in the water. Owner was contacted numerous times but never responded and then one day just the mast was sticking out of the water. Sorry - not pertaining to the boat you are talking about but an Irwin 34 never the less.

#9 ·
surfnrg,
I'm not really thinking of buying the I-34, although I have toyed with the idea of selling my O-30 and my house to get a larger boat. If I ever decided to live aboard.
I like to think my Oday is in good condition. the survey I had when I bought the boat comfirms it's a good boat. there were of course many small things that needed attention, (still a few more too) Last spring we stripped the bottom and gave her a barrier coat of 2000E. Last winter we replaced the cutlass bearing, installed a PSS shaft seal, this past summer new water heater. I also had the dodger repaired and I restitched the Bimini, The universal 5416 runs great, it was replaced by the PO but there is no way to prove it other then it's painted white and there was no over spray in the engine compartment. Also made new ash tops for the saloon and nav tables. All the exterior teak was stained by me and varnished and needs attention again. sails are OK but I'd love to get new sails someday. I
she did come with a spinnaker and pole but I've never tried using them. There are a couple of soft spots on the coach roof and I plan to install hatches for more light in the same spots someday.
That I 34 would be nice, but not for me. I'd like a beamer boat if i were to live aboard.

#11 ·
Denise,

How funny it is to log in tonight and find a thread about my boat. I happen to own the boat you looked at in Riverside. I'm glad you liked her.

I did go down last week to address the water in the bilge and the batteries, etc. My wife and I have decided to keep her since the kids are now 7 and 9.

Other thatn the cosmetics that you saw - the boat is in excellent condition but we're going to update with new cushions, etc.

Were traded an Irwin 38CC for the 34 and another boat which we have since sold.

We have put her in at Riverside for the rest of this season, but I'd really like to move over to the PA side of the River. (We live in Churchville). Do you have any recommendations.

Thanks,
Mike

#12 ·
Hey Mike!
Great decision to keep your boat! Now if we can just get you sailing! I'd like to invite you to visit my YC in Bristol. Anchor Yacht Club - Home Page

We have 18, 30ft and larger boats moored in the river across from Burlington Island. Lots of activities to be had on the river, I don't race but there is also a racing club called East Enders that races on tuesday nights.
fair winds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.