Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009

Elzaar is on a distinguished road
Avoid teak decks, but love a Passport?

Greetings all and thanks very much for the continuing advice.

I've been grinding through boat walk throughs and trying to narrow things down, but running into a dilemma. I have two strong absolutes in my search: No teak decks and must have 6'3 headroom. I'd really like a modified fin keel/skeg rudder plan, but may have to live with a modified full keel. I don't want to be over $100K total equipped, but edging up to a $150K limit. Beyond that I get pretty reasonable.

But here is the dilemma ... The Passport would be beautiful, but seems to only exist with teak decks (and pricey, but hey, it's beautiful). The Valiant is only about 6'1" headroom if I recall right (please correct me if you know better). The Pacific Seacraft is also shorter than 6'3" I think. Checked on a Pearson 424, but ultimately not real comfortable with it as a multiyear bluewater boat. I like Tayana 37's, but they are also just a bit short and a modified full keel and would have to find the pullman berth.

So the question: Can anyone suggest a boat similar to any or all of the above (esp. the Passport) that does not cost $250K, has a modified fin keel/skeg, 6'3" headroom, and capable of safely wandering where I choose? I suppose I could just buy the Passport and rip off the teak, but boy that seems like a lot of money for a boat to just start tearing it apart.

I just know me and that means I'm going to run aground, probably someplace remote. I'll be going slow, but I'll see some little hole someplace and try to squeeze in ... hence, no spade rudder.

Thanks again for any assistance!
Old 02-22-2009

STTnBama is on a distinguished road
What was it that you didn't like about the Pearson 424? Just curious.
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How long a boat are you looking for?? Getting a fully equipped 40' bluewater boat for only $100k in good condition is going to be tough. Even with a budget of $150,000, you're probably going to have very few choices.

If that is all you can afford, you might have to re-think your choice of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Why would you feel you immediately needed to expend the money to remove the teak decks if there was no evidence of a problem? A lot of folks, myself included, steer away from teak decks because they are a potential problem. However, if the boat that looked to be the best fit for my needs in every other way had teak decks, I would not rule the boat out just on that basis. Lots of high end boats have teak decks of similar construction to the Passport. You may eventually have to incur the expense to remove or replace the teak, but you could possibly complete your bluewater sailing and sell the boat a never have an issue with the decks.
Old 02-22-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We've got a Passport 40 with teak decks. We're going to keep them until they start creating leaks in the cabin, and then we'll rip them out and probably replace them with fiberglass. Many Passport 40 owners have already done this. Don't let the teak decks dissuade you from a boat you love - our P40 is an incredible vessel. If you are adamant about this and can't find a P40 with glass decks, check out the Caliber LRC - very similar style and quality.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-23-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Fraser 41 is comparable to the Passport in configuration and size. I don't know the ceiling height, but I'm 6-1 and I don't touch it. Many were a kit boat, so interior quality varies.

Labatt. Does yours have the head all the way forward? if so how is that working out for you? We ruled out one Passport out of 3 or 4 that we looked at because the head was in the bow, and I just didn't think that would work in rough seas.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 02-23-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We have the v-berth forward model for the exact reason you mention. We couldn't see using a forward head in big seas. Even using the head just aft of the berth (in our configuration) is interesting at times. Just remember this rule - real sailors sit. Our Passport also had a head in the aft cabin but we removed it for extra storage. It would have been the best one to use in heavier seas.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-23-2009
S/V Sabbatical

Snboard976 is on a distinguished road
Caliber 40 ( I don't think the LRC version is worth the extra 75k) the regular Caliber 40 or 38 (which is the same boat without the swim platform) fits the price, headroom 6'5" and bluewater requirements, but it is a modified full keel.

Whitby 42, some might argue that it is not a true bluewater boat, but it seems heavily built to me. They fit price, headroom (6'6"), not sure about the keel.

Southern Cross 39, very well built with passage making in mind. Fits all requirements. The headroom is 6'3" or 6'4".

Cabo Rico 38: no personal experience with this boat, but is suppose to have excellent build quality and be beautiful.
Old 02-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We recently spent a week on a friends' Passport 40, forward berth layout and found it to be a very nice boat indeed. It does have the teak decks, but as others have indicated I think that's something to be dealt with if or when it becomes an issue.

This one had the full U shaped dinette, which provides a bit more seating than Labatt's version.... but all around they are beautiful, solid boats that look good and handle nicely in a breeze (but not so good in close quarters under power.....)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-23-2009

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
You can find Tayana 42s without teak decks but they have a full keel. I agree with the advice on teak decks, if they are in good shape it would not scare me away. A good surveyor can check them out for you. The passport is an excellent boat.