Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Outfitting a New Boat w/optional equipment

One of my strong points (can be considered a fault as well), is not taking things at face value with a little bit of over analyzing...probably OCD has something to do with it.

I'm looking at a new boat and these questions have to do with optional equipment.

Met with a dealer that had a 2009 and it was offered with optional equipment (electronics,autopilot). Even though the options were priced @ MSRP(which he was discounting), they were not installed on the boat as of yet.

Here's my questions...

-Is the dealer attempting to increase his profits by installing these options locally rather than ordering the boat from the factory outfitted a certain way?

-Is there an advantage/disadvantage having options installed at the factory?
ie: quality of workmanship, warranty issues, etc.

-Is it better to have any canvas/cushions come from the factory or have it custom made locally?

Thanks for your responses and hope this doesn't turn into a "buy a previously owned boat" debate......
Old 02-22-2009

rmtayloriii is on a distinguished road
I just went through the same thing. I think the dealer may opt to install some systems because it can help him stay busy especially this time of year. Yes it may increase his profit but you should have already signed a purchase agreement, more money in his pocket vs. the factory.

I don't think there is a real quality issue having either place do it. I liked my dealer to install some of the electronics because I could give my input on installations. There shouldn't be any warranty issues. Since I've placed my order last December Raymarine came out with digital radomes and a much better C-series of plotters. I stayed with the E-series but changed to a digital radar. I may not have been able to do this if the factory installed or sent these things with the boat.

I had the factory install the dodger and cushions. I was able to look at a few factory dodgers and some custom ones. The factory did a good job with these so I went with them.

I haven't had many problems but I'm still early in the process. If you have a compotent dealer you shouldn't have any problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
perhaps it is a way of holding down his financing costs. he bought a barebones boat from the factory. Now he pays the minimum he has to until you buy the boat. he pays for the gear at that time and the labor is done by his own in-house guys.

The real question is what is his reputation of doing an excellent job on the install?
Old 02-22-2009
Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
The real question is what is his reputation of doing an excellent job on the install?
Exactly...that's something that will have to be investigated. I've also thought about procuring the equipment of my choice and arranging for the install by qualified technicians through recommendations from other boat owners whose opinions I value. I'm quite a google meister and as a purchasing professional, I figure I could probably save some $$$ and get the job done right.
Old 02-22-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Insufficient info - some builders typically do the electronics install; others always leave it to commissioning. Without knowing what boat you are referring to, it isn't possible to even guess.
Old 02-22-2009
Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Insufficient info - some builders typically do the electronics install; others always leave it to commissioning. Without knowing what boat you are referring to, it isn't possible to even guess.
Valid point...Catalina
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Xort's got a good point. As for what the case is with Catalina, you might want to ask CruisingDad, as he is the Catalina 400 Technical Editor for their owner's association newsletter and fairly knowledgeable about the boats. He might also know a bit about the dealer in question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You'll want to consider this from all aspects, Mr. Purchasing Manager.

If you read this thread, you'll find there's more than just purchasing the equipment "right" to make you a happily satisfied customer. Suprising Response trying to find electronics guy in Ft. Lauderdale

Of course, if you're going to install the gear yourself and are comfortable in dealing with whomever you buy it from in terms of warranty and availability of installation and tuning advise, you can purchase the gear anywhere.

Otherwise, the reputation of the dealer or marina you end up working with becomes paramount. Once you find one you're confident in, you'll benefit from their advise and expertise as they'll be the one's standing behind the gear and the work.

The individual wants and needs of boat owners are so varied that any boat sitting at a dealership is likely to be either bare-bones equipped or fully outfitted with nothing much in between the two boats.

I'd talk with as many people as you can with similar boats to find out what has worked well for them. Have fun, it's time-consuming but still a lot of fun as it's your boat!
Old 02-22-2009
Master & Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post

If you read this thread, you'll find there's more than just purchasing the equipment "right" to make you a happily satisfied customer.
Well, there was a reason I didn't act as my own GC when I did the extension on my home....it appears that for the same reasons, it wouldn't be a bargain to do it on equipment options.
Quote:
Otherwise, the reputation of the dealer or marina you end up working with becomes paramount. Once you find one you're confident in, you'll benefit from their advise and expertise as they'll be the one's standing behind the gear and the work.
Well said!

Quote:
I'd talk with as many people as you can with similar boats to find out what has worked well for them. Have fun, it's time-consuming but still a lot of fun as it's your boat!
It is fun and preparation is paramount, but when it gets to "H", it's usually a PITA....
Old 02-22-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
If it were me, I would be buying the boat with zero options (except those that MUST be done at the factory, like keel or rig) Because I can't see how anyone can justify charging $700 for a VHF, or $900 for a CD player, or $2000 for a 15" TV, or $2200 for helm sheeting, or I could go on and on and on. I started a thread on it, but I got the impression there that most people would rather roll up a wheelbarrow full of money than do a little work on their own.