SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Outfitting a New Boat w/optional equipment

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Cruisingdad 
#1 ·
One of my strong points (can be considered a fault as well), is not taking things at face value with a little bit of over analyzing...probably OCD has something to do with it.

I'm looking at a new boat and these questions have to do with optional equipment.

Met with a dealer that had a 2009 and it was offered with optional equipment (electronics,autopilot). Even though the options were priced @ MSRP(which he was discounting), they were not installed on the boat as of yet.

Here's my questions...

-Is the dealer attempting to increase his profits by installing these options locally rather than ordering the boat from the factory outfitted a certain way?

-Is there an advantage/disadvantage having options installed at the factory?
ie: quality of workmanship, warranty issues, etc.

-Is it better to have any canvas/cushions come from the factory or have it custom made locally?

Thanks for your responses and hope this doesn't turn into a "buy a previously owned boat" debate......:D

See less See more
#2 ·
I just went through the same thing. I think the dealer may opt to install some systems because it can help him stay busy especially this time of year. Yes it may increase his profit but you should have already signed a purchase agreement, more money in his pocket vs. the factory.

I don't think there is a real quality issue having either place do it. I liked my dealer to install some of the electronics because I could give my input on installations. There shouldn't be any warranty issues. Since I've placed my order last December Raymarine came out with digital radomes and a much better C-series of plotters. I stayed with the E-series but changed to a digital radar. I may not have been able to do this if the factory installed or sent these things with the boat.

I had the factory install the dodger and cushions. I was able to look at a few factory dodgers and some custom ones. The factory did a good job with these so I went with them.

I haven't had many problems but I'm still early in the process. If you have a compotent dealer you shouldn't have any problems.

#3 ·
perhaps it is a way of holding down his financing costs. he bought a barebones boat from the factory. Now he pays the minimum he has to until you buy the boat. he pays for the gear at that time and the labor is done by his own in-house guys.

The real question is what is his reputation of doing an excellent job on the install?

#4 ·
The real question is what is his reputation of doing an excellent job on the install?
Exactly...that's something that will have to be investigated. I've also thought about procuring the equipment of my choice and arranging for the install by qualified technicians through recommendations from other boat owners whose opinions I value. I'm quite a google meister and as a purchasing professional, I figure I could probably save some $$$ and get the job done right.

#7 ·
Xort's got a good point. As for what the case is with Catalina, you might want to ask CruisingDad, as he is the Catalina 400 Technical Editor for their owner's association newsletter and fairly knowledgeable about the boats. He might also know a bit about the dealer in question.

#8 ·
You'll want to consider this from all aspects, Mr. Purchasing Manager. ;)

If you read this thread, you'll find there's more than just purchasing the equipment "right" to make you a happily satisfied customer. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...rying-find-electronics-guy-ft-lauderdale.html

Of course, if you're going to install the gear yourself and are comfortable in dealing with whomever you buy it from in terms of warranty and availability of installation and tuning advise, you can purchase the gear anywhere.

Otherwise, the reputation of the dealer or marina you end up working with becomes paramount. Once you find one you're confident in, you'll benefit from their advise and expertise as they'll be the one's standing behind the gear and the work.

The individual wants and needs of boat owners are so varied that any boat sitting at a dealership is likely to be either bare-bones equipped or fully outfitted with nothing much in between the two boats.

I'd talk with as many people as you can with similar boats to find out what has worked well for them. Have fun, it's time-consuming but still a lot of fun as it's your boat!

#9 ·
If you read this thread, you'll find there's more than just purchasing the equipment "right" to make you a happily satisfied customer.
Well, there was a reason I didn't act as my own GC when I did the extension on my home....it appears that for the same reasons, it wouldn't be a bargain to do it on equipment options.
Otherwise, the reputation of the dealer or marina you end up working with becomes paramount. Once you find one you're confident in, you'll benefit from their advise and expertise as they'll be the one's standing behind the gear and the work.
Well said!

I'd talk with as many people as you can with similar boats to find out what has worked well for them. Have fun, it's time-consuming but still a lot of fun as it's your boat!
It is fun and preparation is paramount, but when it gets to "H", it's usually a PITA....:D

#10 ·
If it were me, I would be buying the boat with zero options (except those that MUST be done at the factory, like keel or rig) Because I can't see how anyone can justify charging $700 for a VHF, or $900 for a CD player, or $2000 for a 15" TV, or $2200 for helm sheeting, or I could go on and on and on. I started a thread on it, but I got the impression there that most people would rather roll up a wheelbarrow full of money than do a little work on their own.

#11 ·
I agree to some extent but just because those are the asking prices, it doesn't mean that you can't negotiate a more reasonable deal...unless the dealer is just looking for a one shot sale rather than trying to form a long term relationship with a customer. I would think that there's more profit in winter storage and spring commissioning than the few hundred that can be had with overpriced options.

#14 ·
Some manufactures offer prewireing options, ie power to the nav desk for VHF. probably a good use of $$ spent at the factory if you will, then your boat does not need to be torn up in the end to run wires! If you want an outside shower in the cockpit, probably better to do at the factory! Heat from what I can tell, is a so-so option. Some cases better to do at the factory, others save your money!

Bimini's can be so-so too. Some factory ones are great, others, you want something a bit different, so have it down locally!

Price out the options you want aftermarket, vs factory vs DYI and decide on your time availible, $$ in sheelbarrow etc. Not that this is a boat, but when I bought by Bobcat skid steer for work, I figured out which options I wanted, which were literally factory best installed, and which the dealer did. Ordered the best at factory options, and left the others be!

marty

#16 ·
My answers are in your questions below.

One of my strong points (can be considered a fault as well), is not taking things at face value with a little bit of over analyzing...probably OCD has something to do with it.

I'm looking at a new boat and these questions have to do with optional equipment.

Met with a dealer that had a 2009 and it was offered with optional equipment (electronics,autopilot). Even though the options were priced @ MSRP(which he was discounting), they were not installed on the boat as of yet.

Here's my questions...

-Is the dealer attempting to increase his profits by installing these options locally rather than ordering the boat from the factory outfitted a certain way?

It all depends. Honestly, I think that some dealers do a better job than the factory. However, sometimes it may be easier to install at the factory when things are not so tight or pieces are missing. I will tell you that I prefer for the owner or dealer to do many things like this and let me tell you why:

1) When things break, the person that put it in knows right where to go. He installed it, after all.

2) You want to make sure that EVERY installed item can come out just like it went in. The reasons for this are obvious.

-Is there an advantage/disadvantage having options installed at the factory?
ie: quality of workmanship, warranty issues, etc.

I think on some things it does not matter (basic electronics) while on others the factory may do better and in some cases a sub contractor may do better. For example, I really think Catalina does a great job on their basic canvas. However, if you want some changes in that or you want something more heavy duty, youwould be better off dealer installed by a pro where you can discuss the things in detail.

-Is it better to have any canvas/cushions come from the factory or have it custom made locally?

Answeers above. however, regarding cushions, go with the factory. I would probably do the same with canvas. They make so many of them that they have the process down very well and you may actuially save $$ because of that.

Thanks for your responses and hope this doesn't turn into a "buy a previously owned boat" debate......:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.