Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009

joevag is on a distinguished road
catalina vs hunte

first time sailor, looking to buy a used sail boat and it appears that the hunter 30 or a tall rig catalina are usually available between the two wich one is better. its hard to look at pictures and deciede. i am looking at 1986 catalina or 1981 hunter... what are market prices for these vessels. i would appraciate some insight thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
I would seriously go crawl around a few of each and see what you think. No better time than now to look and buy. Prices are all over the board with both, you will have to try and do an apples to apples comparison and go from there. DOn't be afraid to make an offer on what YOU thinkthe boat is worth to you. Survey for sure.

Once you look them over then go sailing, even if you have to charter or rent a similar boat.

They will both need work, the good news is that the systems are not overly hard to fix and parts are readily available.

Best of luck

dave
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joe—

I'd highly recommend you read the boat inspection tips thread I wrote. Then spend some time crawling around both boats and compare them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I don't think hunters and Catalina's can really be compared they are vastly different boats. Hunters (at least the ones I've seen) have a higher free board, and less beam, Catalina's are beamy boats and lighter. for example my Oday 30 weighs in around 11,500 if i remember right. a C-30 i just found out recently weighs in about 10,500. All that aside.. C-30s are really nice boats. and seem way larger then 30ft. Do find the time go look at boats.. looking at pics, great, looking at specs.. OK.. real time crawling around PRICELESS! good luck!

my current "project"!
Old 02-22-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Catalina's are beamy boats and lighter. for example my Oday 30 weighs in around 11,500 if i remember right. a C-30 i just found out recently weighs in about 10,500. All that aside.. C-30s are really nice boats. and seem way larger then 30ft. Do find the time go look at boats.. looking at pics, great, looking at specs.. OK.. real time crawling around PRICELESS! good luck!
Actually the O'day 30's rated displacement is 10,600...

Three words about what is more important on boats of that age,,

CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION !!!!!!!!!!!!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-22-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I don't think hunters and Catalina's can really be compared they are vastly different boats. Hunters (at least the ones I've seen) have a higher free board, and less beam, Catalina's are beamy boats and lighter. for example my Oday 30 weighs in around 11,500 if i remember right. a C-30 i just found out recently weighs in about 10,500. All that aside.. C-30s are really nice boats. and seem way larger then 30ft. Do find the time go look at boats.. looking at pics, great, looking at specs.. OK.. real time crawling around PRICELESS! good luck!
Not sure the specs bear this out - the difference in beam is around 6 inches for example.
In addition to what others have suggested, sail both of them if that is practical to compare how they sail.

Also, If my limited experience is any indication, I used to race on a friends C&C in a class including 30 ft Hunters and Catalinas and the Hunter consistently blew away the similar sized and similarly sailed Catalina.

These two companies have consistently competed for the same market segment and sell similarly designed and similarly built boats - they are both still in business indicative they are both of decent quality and there are so substantial differences between them.

Carefully compare their condition and make your decision based on fact.
Old 02-22-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for my answer, I would go with a Catalina. I just went to the boat show and walked around (~10 minutes most) on each of them and found that I like the catalina better. Go for it.. Look at it this way, if you don't like the Catalina, you can always sell it and buy the Hunter next year.
Old 02-22-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
"if I remember right" duh. Anyway.. H vs C very different imho

my current "project"!
Old 02-22-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
"if I remember right" duh. Anyway.. H vs C very different imho
But loaded with all your cruising gear, fuel & water she's pushing 12,000 lbs+..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-22-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
If you are looking for my answer, I would go with a Catalina. I just went to the boat show and walked around (~10 minutes most) on each of them and found that I like the catalina better. Go for it.. Look at it this way, if you don't like the Catalina, you can always sell it and buy the Hunter next year.

I forgot to add that I used to own a Catalina 30 Tall Rig and I really really liked that boat. It's in the sailboat hall of fame. However, Charlie Gibson owns a Hunter (~27'), so to each their own.