SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Boat registration in NJ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/51776-boat-registration-nj.html)

pkats 02-22-2009 06:24 PM

Boat registration in NJ

Hi, I purchased a boat from a broker in LI, NY. Original owner had this boat since new and had it documented with Coast Guard. Since I don't have any reason to Document the boat I decided to drop documentation. My broker provided me the following papers in order to register it in NJ: original deletion letter from Coast Guard, copy of the Bill of sale from previous owner which has been scanned at the coast guard and broker's original bill of sale to me. But after I brought all of the above documents to DMV they refused to register the boat, requesting the original title to my name or original Certification of Documentation. Since the boat was documented since new, there was no title issued. And since I choose not to document the boat I only have deletion letter from CG. My broker tells me that they sold a lot of boat without any problems, but they were registered in NY. Is it something specific to NJ? What choices do I have, except documenting the boat (now that documentation was deleted, it will cost me mush more $$$)? Thank you in advance.

sailingdog 02-22-2009 07:07 PM

Just curious, why would you drop documentation? In many states it is less expensive to have a documented boat than a state-registered boat. Also, re-selling a USCG documented boat is often easier, as getting loans on it are simplified by the USCG documentation. Finally, if you decide you want to go to the Caribbean or Canada, the USCG documentation will be useful.

BTW, you can re-document the boat for about $84 IIRC. It isn't really all that expensive to do. Go to the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center website. Fees schedule is here.

pkats 02-22-2009 08:10 PM

That is the thing: I am not planning on going anywhere abroad (the closest is Bermuda and it is still 5 days away). Plus, NJ requires for you to pay registration fee every year, even if the boat is documented. So documentation doesn't buy me anything. It sounds like that DMV is forcing me to document the boat with USCG since I don't have a title, but it should be my choice...

tommays 02-24-2009 04:16 PM

A lot of NY boats NEVER had titles anyway , i dont know when they started doing them, my 1995 boat has a title BUT my 1981 boat does not

in states down south Outboards even have titles

pkats 02-25-2009 03:50 PM

Thank you for your responses. I decided to follow the advice and return the boat to USCG documentation.

sailingdog 02-25-2009 05:01 PM

One advantage of documenting the boat, even if the state requires the boat be state-registered, is that it is a one-time fee and makes it unnecessary to have the state registration numbers on the bow. IMHO, those numbers are UGLY. It also makes selling or financing the boat simpler.

hellosailor 02-25-2009 06:24 PM

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

It sounds like a past owner lost or mislaid the MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin) which is the initial "title" document that accompanies a new motor vehicle. I don't know if the USCG retains it during documentation.

I'd suspect NJ DMV is very much like NY DMV. Unless you are at an office which handles a lot of boats, the folks working there have absolutely NO idea how to handle the paperwork on them. It pays to use an office where they handle boats every day.

teshannon 02-26-2009 12:25 PM

Keep in mind that NJ also requires you to take a basic boating course. If you can't produce the license when stopped you could be fined.

hellosailor 02-26-2009 03:41 PM

"Keep in mind that NJ also requires you to take a basic boating course."
Doesn't that depend on your age? I've never heard of a state that required EVERYONE to take a boating course, usually they grandfather everyone who was 21-ish before the laws were passed.

7Psych 02-26-2009 04:26 PM

No....they do not Grandfather anyone in....You must take the course now as the test out option has expired.