SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Are these crack serious? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/51872-these-crack-serious.html)

raisin56 02-24-2009 09:52 PM

Are these crack serious?

I am looking at my first sailboat. I have a fantastic opportunity on a 1977 Seafarer 26. The only problem is I don't know if these are serious signs of an underlying problem or not. The cost of a survey would be more than the boat so that's not happening. The cracks are all on the interior liner mostly in the V-birth storage, but some are in other locations ie Head wall and cabin floor.
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v.../IMAGE_159.jpg birth storage wall
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v.../IMAGE_161.jpg birth storage floor
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v.../IMAGE_177.jpg cabin floor edge as it turns up

Thanks all, I know there are some very knowledgeable sailors here that will help.

Dan

saurav16 02-24-2009 09:58 PM

The cabin floor picture looks like crazing due to some stress and the top some of them are interesting as they are spider web looking like impact cracks. It depends where the cracks are to know if they are serious. Like are they at joints or random spots in the cabin?

k1vsk 02-24-2009 10:49 PM

Without knowing how deep they are, it isn't really possible to know for sure. I know you said a survey isn't in the future but the depth of the cracks is what a surveyor would look at which is certainly something ypou could investigate.

Surface only indicates crazing; deeper cracks indicate a walk-away.

scottyt 02-24-2009 11:52 PM

you can find out if they are structural, its not a perfect test and you would need the owners permission to do it. lucky its not really a destructive test and it takes only a few mins to do. like i said its not perfect but it can show up cracks that are just more than gel coat.

get some sand paper grits 80 and 150, then you need some sort of dye, what works well is red kool aid.

first lightly sand the crack, not a real large area, infact using the edge of a folded piece is best. apply some koolaid mixed strong, wait about 1 min then wipe clean, then using the edge of a piece of 80 grit folded sand the crack some more, basicly opening it to a V just till you hit the fiber glass or until the line goes away. as you sand watch and wipe it out every so often. if the fine line that the koolaid drew into goes away it is just the gel coat. if it does not go away it goes deeper. if it does go away you can double check it buy putting more koolaid in to the V let it sit then wipe with a damp rag. hopefully it all stays one solid shade of pink if the line returns then it does go deeper.

if all is okay sand again with the 150 folded to get rid of the stain, and use gel coat filler to fill up the V ( optional if you own or are going to buy the boat )

this is a trick i learned when i used to run remote control submarines, and i built a run of 9 foot long fiber glass hulls

US27inKS 02-25-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyt (Post 454655)
you can find out if they are structural, its not a perfect test and you would need the owners permission to do it. lucky its not really a destructive test and it takes only a few mins to do. like i said its not perfect but it can show up cracks that are just more than gel coat.

get some sand paper grits 80 and 150, then you need some sort of dye, what works well is red kool aid.

first lightly sand the crack, not a real large area, infact using the edge of a folded piece is best. apply some koolaid mixed strong, wait about 1 min then wipe clean, then using the edge of a piece of 80 grit folded sand the crack some more, basicly opening it to a V just till you hit the fiber glass or until the line goes away. as you sand watch and wipe it out every so often. if the fine line that the koolaid drew into goes away it is just the gel coat. if it does not go away it goes deeper. if it does go away you can double check it buy putting more koolaid in to the V let it sit then wipe with a damp rag. hopefully it all stays one solid shade of pink if the line returns then it does go deeper.

if all is okay sand again with the 150 folded to get rid of the stain, and use gel coat filler to fill up the V ( optional if you own or are going to buy the boat )

this is a trick i learned when i used to run remote control submarines, and i built a run of 9 foot long fiber glass hulls

This is a very good method, and cheap too. Rep for you.

I'm trying to figure out the last sentence though. Why on earth would anyone want a remote control submarine? Once you dive, what is there to see? Maybe it's the thrill of wondering if your years of hard work will resurface?? I don't get it.

scottyt 02-25-2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US27inKS (Post 454672)
Why on earth would anyone want a remote control submarine? Once you dive, what is there to see? Maybe it's the thrill of wondering if your years of hard work will resurface?? I don't get it.

well they have fail safes, if they lose radio signal for a set time they blow ballast. you also dont run them at great distances away from you. as for seeing where they go, thats why a friend of mine and i designed and built a fiberoptic periscope system using a 2.4 giga hertz video transmitter and a ccd camera in the hull. it was close to scale in size and shape, and worked well. but at 1500 we did not sell many.

here is a vid just to show you what they can be like. turn down the volumn the motor is causing problems with the mike

edit not my sub or my camera system

YouTube - Ride Onboard an RC Submarine

US27inKS 02-25-2009 08:29 AM

OK, I get it. I was just thinking about running them out at one of our local lakes. Visibility is about 3 inches. I can see running them in a pool where you can see what it's doing though.

AjariBonten 02-25-2009 08:42 AM

woah, those are cool!

raisin56 02-25-2009 09:06 AM

Scotty
Let me see if I got this right. Your testing to see if it is only gel coat deep and if so then the issue is cosmetic? Does it make a difference that the outer hull has no indication of cracking and that is is only an inner lining shell? In the cockpit lockers where the is no liner and you see the outer hulls inside the glass is fine, of course it's not gel coated either.
Thanks for the testing method.
Dan

rayncyn51 02-25-2009 09:06 AM

It looks to me like you've got point impacts on the horizontal plane, and flex cracks on the vertical plane. First thing that comes to my mind is some kind of impact that flexed the bottom.