Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
'79 Pearson '32

I am new to sailing and I am looking for a good deal on a used boat. I have chartered (on vacation) for a week in the bahamas on a '45 foot sailboat and was looking for something here on my local lake.

I saw a 1979 Pearson '31.5 ft (beam of 10ft) and wanted to get everyone's opinion of this boat. Is this a good boat in terms of ease of use, construction, and reliability?

I looked on the message boards and did not see "Pearson" as a specific boat for a discussion. Does this make go by a different name possilby?

The boat that I have seen has a tiller. Isn't that possibly too large of a boat to have a tiller?

Another boat I am also considering is a 26 ft Hunter constructed in 1982. Obviously the hunter will be cheaper and the slip fees will not be as bad given the smaller beam. I am split on which size boat to go after. The larger Pearson boat, large enough to house my family of four for a weekend or a hunter '26 that may possilby be a little tighter; however a little easier to maneuver though one that I will need to upsize from in a few years????

Too many pro's and con's to weigh - any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by manhattan08; 03-01-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
pearson does make a good boat but i dont know anything but what i read. i dont know anything about the hunter 26 either but i own a 27 made in 83. hunterowners.com or something like that is a good place to start.

the hunter 27 is a good solid boat that can be found pretty cheaply that could do a family of 4 for weekends well. there is a guy here and on anythingsailing that is kind of looking at a hunter 27 and i just kind of gave a review there. link to my review I can't decide. Cheap used, expensive used, brand new... - Anything Sailing Forums the first post on the thread has a link to a 27 footer with pics

edit where do live and plan on sailing, and what is your experience ?

Last edited by scottyt; 03-01-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
manhattan, Pearsons are quite common, and you will find a forum here on Sailnet under "Boatbuilders Row". Except that for some reason, they are out of alpha order--look between the A's and B's.

Many of the specific models have special sites on the internet where you can get details as well.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 03-02-2009

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
i currently own a 1979 p32 and i love it,i owned a hunter 27 20 years ago not the same animal go for the p32..i think there is one at yachworld in conn that is a good deal,make sure u get one with a new desiel as that solves a lot of problems..pm me for more
Old 03-02-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan08 View Post
...and I am looking for a good deal on a used boat. .. any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
My short opinion on your question is ...Pearson didn;t make any bad boats and Hunter made few good boats...(just one poster's opinion, we don't need any flame wars about it).

But I do want to comment on your search for a "good deal". There is nothing more fatal to a happy boat purchase than looking for a good deal...its is a self-defeating and self-destructive concept. A "good deal" is actually getting what you pay for...in my opinion very few buyers actually get what they think they are getting. The fewer boats you have owned...the better you THINK the deal is...the more likely it is you are buying a pig-in-a-poke that will drain you financially over the subsequent years. Remeber the seller knows the boat intimately..what seems a good deal to you...probably is a deal making him deliriuosly happy, and shaking his head at your foolishness. Unfortunately most of us have to personally go this this syndrome a few times before we learn that it exists, as I certainly have.

Don't look for a "good deal". Look for a "good boat in great condition" and pay a fair price to be the lucky new owner. You are far more likely to get what you pay for and to have a happy, relatively surprise-free, ownership experience. That's my 10 cents.
Old 03-02-2009

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all of your input. My sailing knowledge is not real deap and will be taking a sailing class sometime in April. I was really exposed to sailing when I chartered a sailboat in the exuma islands about two years ago. Now that I have recently completed my mba and have earned some extra money and time, I think now may be the time to really get into sailing / club racing. I intend to use the boat on Lake Norman, just north of Charlotte NC.

I will definately check out the other pearson and Hunter message boards and try to narrow my search.

Thanks again for your help and don't be surprised to see some other "newbie" questions over the next few weeks.