Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2002

welch is on a distinguished road
Brokers

Looking for brokers who deal only/mainly with sailing vessels already outfitted for cruising. So far I have only found www.bajayachts.com. Does anyone know of others? Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2002

Lahr is on a distinguished road
Brokers

In Annapolis, your short list should include Todd Duff at Martin Bird & Associates. He knows this area well. Jack
Old 10-15-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Brokers

Add Pat Lane at Annapolis Yacht Sales to your list of excellent brokers in Annapolis.

Jeff
Old 10-15-2002

Brokers

Thanks for the help. Actually I''m looking more of the area in southeast US or Florida.
Dave.
Old 10-16-2002

kddmhc is on a distinguished road
Brokers

The Hull Company in Charleston, SC, www.thehullcompany.com are dealers for Catalina, Bavaria, and Island Packets. They also have a good selection of brokered boats. We just bought our first boat, a 1985 Catalina 30 from them. It was the most pleasurable buying experience I have ever had. Glen Appelbaum was the broker, and you would have thought I was purchasing an brand new IP the way I was treated.
Good Luck!
Keith
Old 10-20-2002

rjwright is on a distinguished road
Brokers

If you spend any time on the Cruising World Bulletin Board, you would know that Bernie is a very highly regarded broker of cruising boats. He would be my first choice, based on my second hand info, but others with first hand experience seem exceptionally pleased with the guy...

http://www.yachtworld.com/roguewave/

Depending on your budget, he is trying to sell his personal Valiant 40 and it is *really* equipped In any event, this is the guy you are looking for

Randy
Old 10-23-2002

Brokers

Thanks for the help. Dave
Old 10-28-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Brokers

I don''t want to be critical of anyone but I have to say that my dealings with Bernie, though cursory, did not leave me with a good impression. First and foremost, if you are not going to spend significant bucks, he is not very interested. And, I felt his first inclination was to simply push whatever listing he had that he wanted to get rid of.

When I first contacted Bernie about a potential livaboard and bluewater cruiser (38-40 ft, under 100k), he tried to sell me a Crealock 34. Certainly a good boat but absolutely TINY for what I was looking for and way above my stated budget. The asking for that boat could have purchased quite a few much nicer yachts.

The next time I dealt with Bernie, he tried to push his Jeanneau 40 listing on me. He said the boat was in sail away condition and had all the bells and whistles. It also was asking top dollar at the time. I saw this boat sometime later. It was in terrible condition, crapped out, had a European electrical system and basically worthless. It sold well over a year or two later for less than half what he wanted to sell it to me for.

Of course you would say he is just doing his job, promoting his clients boats and acting on their behalf. Thats fine. Being a free market, you can chose to work with whomever you like. When I finally settled on a broker to work with, he was completely honest about the boats his firm had listed, and what he felt the bottom line was.

I also have to say that I also find Bernie''s posts on CWBB a little disingenuine. I am sure he has an interest in the topics but his posts press his commercial interest and promote his business.

I am sure there are many folks happy with his represetation. And many who like him a lot. To be fair, my dealings with him were only by phone. But that was enough for me.

Just my $0.02.
Old 10-28-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
Brokers

Senor Drake:
I contacted Bernie about selling our beloved Teacher''s Pet III after he bragged about selling 5 of Sam Morse''s boats. He was going to get back to me with a listing form and etc.
never heard from him again. TPIII would put any Morse boat to shame in loivability,sailing ability and in gear it would not even be close. I was asking $37,500 and Bernie had the nerve to ask me what was wrong with her. I didn''t waste my time to reply
Gene S/V Teacher''s Pet III
Old 10-28-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
Brokers

Senor Drake:
I contacted Bernie about selling our beloved Teacher''s Pet III after he bragged about selling 5 of Sam Morse''s boats. He was going to get back to me with a listing form and etc.
never heard from him again. TPIII would put any Morse boat to shame in loivability,sailing ability and in gear it would not even be close. I was asking $37,500 and Bernie had the nerve to ask me what was wrong with her. I didn''t waste my time to reply
Gene S/V Teacher''s Pet III

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.