Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009

ajf10 is on a distinguished road
Anyone see the Andrews 28 review in Sail?

It looks sexy to me. For what it is. Fast in light wind, retractable keel, bowsprit, spartan overnight accomodations, yanmar, smallish.

I'm not buying now, but in a few years this might be a boat I could sail.

I like that it is on the small size, performs, and is somewhat cruisable.

Opinions?

Link to the manufacturers website: "Sylvana Yachts" introduces new yachts design: ANDREWS 28
Soggy 1975 Catalina 27 #2056

Last edited by ajf10; 03-03-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
The Andrews 28 is definately not my cup of tea. I can appreciate those who like the modern, racy looks and the likely fast sailing characteristics. However, the cabin is waayyyy too "spartan" for my taste, particularly for a boat claiming to be any part cruiser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I have yet to be inside one, but one is racing here in Puget sound, looks nice from the outside. Too small for my tastes by 5-7', but still a style of boat I like. If it is in the length range etc that you want, suits you speed wants in a boat, take a look. Do not worry about what others think of the sparteness etc.

marty
Old 03-03-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I climbed in one at the boatshow in Annapolis last year. It is spartan down below, but I loved the boat. Then it was going for 100k bare bones and 120k ready to race. The retractable keel is something that peaks my interests. It has enough 'comforts' for me and is something I'd seriously look at if I had the money. Good deck layout and nice hardware, adjustble jib lead cars were nice. Make no mistake, this isn't a cruiser. Or even a cruiser/racer. Its a racer with bunks. But I liked it.
Old 03-03-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Andrews 28

Well I had a good look over it at the Vancouver Int'l Boat show and was somewhat impressed. It was built as a sport boat using the latest in technolgy and materials (carbon fiber spars) has a 7' retractable bulb keel, is trailerable and likely a speed demon. As well and lightly built it is, it was not designed for creature comforts and the spartan interior is really a hose it out interior, literally. It is aimed at a specific target market and one should be prepared for minimalist accommodations, strictly camping inside. This boat will cost about $100,000.00 canadian dollars and is made in British Columbia, Canada. Nice boat, but not for me.
Old 03-03-2009

ajf10 is on a distinguished road
Well, maybe I like it since my C27 is already a camper.
Soggy 1975 Catalina 27 #2056
Old 03-03-2009

xestenz is on a distinguished road
I love this boat, and am seriously considering picking one up. The versatility, performance, and design seem hard to match (at any price point). The fact that they are priced in Canadian dollars and accepting the current conversion rate makes it even more sweet.

As for comfort, one has to remember that it is just a 28 foot boat. I feel that the layout has everything you need to be comfortable. Plenty of headroom, soft places to sit, hard places to work, and long berths for a good nights sleep. The fact that it is easy to maintain makes it even more attractive, IMO (wood trim does not by itself make an interior 'comfortable' or 'luxurious'...) It has way more interior than comparable sport boats like the Antrim 27 or even a J-105, etc.

After it sails absolute circles around more 'comfortable' Hunter 27's and Catalina 28's, it will sit happily on its trailer in either dry storage or driveway while the other boats hemorrhage slip fee money out of their owners (very important here in San Diego.)

There are certainly pros and cons to any design, this one hits many of the important aspects of that mix for me.
Old 03-05-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
I saw the review and think it looks pretty good. I like spartan and clean. When was the last time Sail Magazine reviewed anything under 30 feet and less than 3-400,000 dollars.
Old 03-07-2009
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
I went on the Andrews 28 at the Annapolis boat show this past fall. It has a large interior for a 28 foot boat. It is light enough, and has a retractable keel so it can be reasonably trailered. It has a fully functional interior, with an enclosed head, gally, nav/chart area, a nice sized V berth, an under cockpit berth, and settees with table. The interior is almost all white, with little or no trim. Some people don't like it, but I think it is better since it is lighter, easier to keep clean, and better than the paper thin wood veneers that some manufacturers use.

And of course, it will sail circles around 99% of the boats its size.
Old 03-10-2009

nemier is on a distinguished road
I love it! Where do I sign?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.