Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009

tdine is on a distinguished road
Question Opinions on Bruce Roberts 44' - 8'3 draft?

Hello... after two years and dozens of boats my boyfriend and I have finally found what we think is "the one". We are both first time boat owners- he is a captain with plenty of catamaran sailing/maintenance experience and I... spend a lot of time researching (reading books, forums, etc.) and sailing with friends. "The" boat is a 44' Bruce Roberts (1989), displaces 29,000 lbs and has a 8'3 draft. In all of my searches I have never seen such a deep draft! Do you think we'll have problems in harbors/anchorages around the South Pacific? We plan on cruising in 3-5 years. What do you think about these Bruce Roberts designs? It was built by Gary Alward- has anyone heard of this guy? We're looking at it tomorrow- what should I look for to determine that this boat is a good build? Please advise!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Hi TD, I own a Roberts Classic 45 and I am happy with the design, which is pretty close to the Roberts 44. However I have never heard of a Roberts 44 (I assume it is an Offshore 44?) with an 8ft draft. Most of the Roberts around this length either have a shoal draft of 5 ft or a deep draft of 6ft 8ft is very deep and I imagine it will restrict your cruising locations. It also suggests that someone has altered the standard design of the boat.

I would also recommend you get a good surveyor; being mostly built by amateurs build quality on Roberts can range from very good to bloody awful. They can also advise on any design issues with the 8ft draft.

Good luck, Ilenart
Old 03-04-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Yacht world?

Did a quick YW search and that boat does draw over 8 feet. I'm on the N.Atlantic and while some use those deeper drafts, its too deep for me or those who like to visit shallow areas.
Old 03-04-2009

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
If you do a quick check of some of the places you want to go you'll find out 8' is too much draft. BUT..... it can be cut down and a ballast bulb installed. They come in bulb form or wing type to the keel. Really not so hard to do. If you cut down the keel you need to weigh the cut off portion and add 5% to compensate for the righting moment.
Old 03-04-2009

winterbuoy is on a distinguished road
Yep, we have a Roberts 44 offshore, 5.5 draft. Built like a tank and I would take her anywhere. Huge space and great for livaboard. We love it and would never change boats. Go walk on a couple of production boat decks and watch them flex and squeak! True some were built by fools but get a good survey and you should be OK. Great design though some on this forum would say diff.
Old 03-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
No way I would ever buy a boat with that much draft. That basically rules out the entire state of Fl, Bahamas, and a BUNCH Of other places (somehwat sarcastic... not a lot). I realize you are going the other way, but there could also be a time that the Bahamas or Fl would be of interst and you would have to anchor that thing in the Tongue of the Ocean!!!!

Just my opinion...

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-04-2009

tdine is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input everyone. Sure enough, we went to see it today and were told that it was an estimate... between 6-8 feet. Looks like we'll have to measure it once it's out of the water. Thankfully, we really have no desire to sail around FL (I moved out of the MidWest to get away from Florida vacations!) but that's still good info to know. It's nice having a support group!
Old 03-04-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Td.
If it is an Offshore 44 than they are a very good design. The sailing equivalent of a tank however. Obviously yeah alot of these were amateur built get a good survey as others have already suggested. Bruce Roberts has a pretty good website, go have a good look at the design and specs there. I would also suggest that if they do want to sell you the boat that they should go measure the draft....

Old 03-29-2009

Margaretrose is on a distinguished road
I'd check the waterline. If she's overloaded or overbalasted, she could sit up to 18" low on her marks. If she's designed for a 6.5' draft then 18" could put her at 8'. Aft she should have 4'6" of freeboard, forward, 5'9". For steel, She'll sit about 4" lower.
Old 02-23-2011

InspGadgt is on a distinguished road
Anyone know whatever happened with this? I have a feeling the boat I'm seeing listed in Hawaii is the same boat in question and wanted to know what was found out about the boat and the builder.