Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 41 Classic

Looking for pointers to any previous threads that might shed info on the desirable and undesirable characteristics/performance/history of the Morgan 41 Classic. Didn't see this model in the sailnet boat reviews. Anything in particular (besides the survey) I ought to especially watch out for?

Dave

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
It's only my opinion but I believe the out islander version sails better because it's better balanced with more sail area. The nice part is that it's a simple sail plan and easy to use. You didn't mention what year it is, makes a difference in the keel area.
Old 03-05-2009

For now we're just shopping. We currently sail an OMEGA 36 up here but when I retire, we'll probably be looking for something a little more "comfortable" to cruise on a live aboard for a while. Budget will be an issue and the Morgan 41s (OI & Classics) seem to fit the bill.

Other than the basic hull/keel difference, what are the differences/pros and cons between the Out Island models and the Classic? What particular pitfalls ought I be on the look-out for?

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 03-05-2009

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Some of the differences are in the keel such as some are bolt on and others are made in the mold. Another is in the ports,some have aluminum ports while others have just lexan screwed on for ports. the biggest difference is in chain plates. The newer ones are built lighter. Lastly there is a walk thru for the rear cabin and a walk over for the rear cabin depending on year. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Dave, My wife and I have been living on Morgan Out Islands since 1973. We're currently in Florida, but cruise the East Coast from Maine to the Bahamas with the seasons. I think the two biggest structural changes over the years have been the cut away foot with the keel on the "Classics" built by Catalina and the change in the mid-seventies when the hull-deck joint was moved from the rub-rail to the less vulnerable area of the toe rail. I haven't had the problems, but I've heard of some with some separation at the stem fitting hull-deck area,- failed back up plate or headstay problem....? I also know of a few that had some severe mast corrosion at the mast step. The portlights mentioned above do vary, but they are mounted at a location where the fiberglass is one inch thick on the older models,-lots of options, many have been refit. Charlie Morgan described the purpose of the design as, "a boat that would motor well for the charter trade". It's a heavy cruising "truck" that doesn't have the performance of those "featherdusters", but it excels in 15 to 20 Knots of wind. The full keel shoal draft sacrifices some point to windward and the ketches don't perform well with the wind directly astern. Living space is hard to match in a similar size vessel. Our Morgan OI has done us well & we would not be looking for anything else. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-05-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have never sailed on them but I have talked to people who have sailed the Morgan OI Classic. It is NOT the same boat at all as the traditional Morgan OI. The biggest difference is that the old OI's had a full keel while the Classic has a more modern fin (elongated but still not a full keel) and a skeg hung rudder.

In other words, the OI Classic can actually sail to weather. The old ones could only "sail" to weather with the motor on. (I exaggerate, but not very much). Hey if you are looking at OI Classics, check out the Brewer 41 (I think it was a 41). They are nice boats, about the same size.
Old 03-05-2009

The two Brewers out there on boats.com were a little out of my intended price range, but thanks. In terms of stability and comfort in heavy seas, how would the two hull configurations compare? How would I know whether the keel was encaplulated lead or a bolt-on? Was it by hull number or year of manufacture?

Old 03-05-2009

I may be wrong, but I thought all the Morgan built Out Islands had the fully encapsulated keels. As for the inability of the Morgan OI to sail to weather, let's be specific for that is a general description. As I posted earlier the Out Island sacrifices performance to weather for the shoal draft, but it sails well to 45 degrees of true wind over ten knots or more. Many vessels do better, but this is definitely "to weather". It's an absolute myth that any weather performance would require the engine. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 03-05-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2009

Thanks all for your VERY informative responses! I'll have to say, you all have left me very encouaraged.

One more question (and try not to laugh): a lot of the Morgans listed are Ketches - will I have trouble transitioning from a sloop to a ketch?

Old 03-05-2009

Dave, You'll have no trouble when it comes to the skills of sailing. Most Out Islands are sloops. There is a "tall rig" that was produced in the later seventies. More of the earlier 413's, like mine, are ketches. The ketch does allow for clearing the 55' fixed bridges. "everything is a compromise" 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.