Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009

Blowfish is on a distinguished road
Not Hauling Out For Winter In Maryland

Some of the boats I am looking at have not been hauled out for winter. While I assume it is preferable to have a boat hauled out and covered for the winter in northern latitudes, how big a deal is it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We are mid-bay on the Chesapeake and leave our boat in for the winter. We do our haul-out in mid-summer, for 2-4 weeks typically.

Depending on where you haul for the winter, you are at the mercy of other boats and schedules for getting re-launched, especially if you are stacked behind a few rows of boats. By staying in, you can get the late autumn and early spring sailing.

Ice has not been an issue. We have a full boat cover, so snow isn't either. The mid/late-summer haul-out dries the boat nicely and gets us back in the water with a fresh clean bottom for the best part of the sailing season -- autumn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-10-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Last year we were hauled North of Baltimore,

Up there the extreme tides and winter winds seemed even more harsh than S of Annapolis.

Plenty of folks kept the boat in but regretted it.

The super-low tides pulled out stantions and cleats.

The wind pounded them against the docks.

That's too much for me to worry about!!
Old 03-10-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Depending on where you haul for the winter, you are at the mercy of other boats and schedules for getting re-launched, especially if you are stacked behind a few rows of boats. By staying in, you can get the late autumn and early spring sailing.
This is the reason I did not haul this past winter.

I sail on Long Island Sound.
Old 03-10-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Just as an observation from someone that lives in a condo complex with its own marina and right across the water way from one of the biggest marina's in Annapolis MD.

If I had to make a rough guesstimate, I'd say that only about 25% of the boats around me haul out for the winter. The one caveat being that these boats are in a protected waterway, not directly exposed to the bay.

Most run a tarp over the main and over the bow to keep any infrequent snows we have from filling the cockpit. Probably less than 10% get their boats shrink wrapped. And all the slips around here whether privately owned or marina owned have bubblers to combat ice formation.

It's probably a bigger risk for absentee owners that for whatever reason leave their boats in Annapolis but live in Florida, NY or wherever and don't have the ability to occasionally drive or walk down to their slips to adjust lines when abnormal tides are predicted.
Old 03-10-2009

Blowfish is on a distinguished road
Thanks all! Based on the foregoing it would seem that while the preferred method (from a boat condition not an accessability standpoint) is to haul out, it is far more common and not overly detrimental to leave your boat in the water for the winter. I was mostly concerned about damage that might occur over the winter due to freeze/thaw issues as well as giving the bottom a chance to dry out over the winter.
Old 03-10-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
... as well as giving the bottom a chance to dry out over the winter.
There is some debate about whether fiberglass laminate can be dried, but if it can, not much drying will take place in cold winter months. A month in the hot summer is probably equal to several winters of "drying".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-10-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
There is some debate about whether fiberglass laminate can be dried, but if it can, not much drying will take place in cold winter months. A month in the hot summer is probably equal to several winters of "drying".
I've been storing in the water for a few years now and I'd take it one step further to say that from what I have seen over the years that if your hull has the pre-disposition for blisters you will get them whether you haul or not. Whether it's an early 80's hull or some "bad run" year from a specific manufacturer I don't think it makes much difference if you try to "dry them out" for a few months a year to fix a "built-in" problem.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-10-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
With no personal certainty or opinion I have heard it opined that it is actually easier on the hull to leave the boat in the water rather than rest it on it's keel ashore.

Personally, I haul in November and re-launch in April. Since I live 3-hours from my boat it is peace of mind that she is not unattended in the water.

Either way, if cared for, I think the boat will be fine.

MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 03-10-2009
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
I don't haul.. I'm on the Magothy River...!

I love