Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009

zAr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
How much more efficient is diesel fuel compared to compressed gas? Are the savings big enough to warrant thousands of dollars in up-front installation costs, or will it take eight to ten years to break even on a new diesel stove/heater, compared to just using gas in the unit that's already there?
Eight to ten years to break even on a $1-2k stove and less than $500 for installation, tops?

I admit I'm a newbie and haven't seen as many marinas/anchorages as some folk here, but it seems to me I'd be making lots of trips inland, lugging two 20 lb tanks back and forth with annoying frequency when most marinas have diesel facilities already on hand or close by. Could propanes be more popular with the weekender/daysailer crowds who simply stop at the gas station and pop a tank or two into their trunks? Or, since fuel efficiency is not why they're doing it, is there some other reason that escapes me? Maybe diesels stink?

Overheating was mentioned, but a quick peek at the Dickenson's (they have propanes and diesels) shows that diesels aren't locked into high heat, they can be turned down to the same low BTU range as propane furnaces. That could be false advertising, though, or perhaps its newer technology.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
My vote after living on board (mostly in Toronto) and cruising south for the occasional winter over the last 15yrs.
Propane stove - one 20lb. tank lasts about 4 -5 months.
Espar diesel furnace - which can be mounted in a cockpit or transom locker and does not make for space-taking bulkhead mounting.
Old 03-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is hard to control a diesel heater or stove at low heat settings, due to the nature of diesel fuel. They also tend to pollute more and burn more inefficiently at low heat settings than does propane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-14-2009

zAr is on a distinguished road
Alright, thank you everyone for your advice. I guess I'll give the propane a try, it can't hurt.

Boatpoker, I'm going to be living aboard in Toronto too, so your comment about your configuration really helps. I didn't know I could keep the Espar in the lockers. Most excellent!
Old 03-16-2009

nemier is on a distinguished road
Careful about the espar. My espar installation on my c-36 used quite a bit of battery power. My next boat will have a stand-alone propane bulkhead mounted heater.
Old 03-16-2009

stephenronning is on a distinguished road
I had a diesel stove which was our heater on our 36 footer and I loved it. In my opinion it's superior to propane. However on my 25 footer I wouldn't even consider it. I'd choose propane. Thing about propane is it's wet. You may experience water on the headliner and stuff like that.
Good luck,
Stephen
Cal 2-25
sv SIRIUS
Seattle
Old 03-16-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenronning View Post
I had a diesel stove which was our heater on our 36 footer and I loved it. In my opinion it's superior to propane. However on my 25 footer I wouldn't even consider it. I'd choose propane. Thing about propane is it's wet. You may experience water on the headliner and stuff like that.
Good luck,
Stephen
Cal 2-25
sv SIRIUS
Seattle
Stephen,

You're correct, one byproduct of propane combustion is H2O. Propane stoves and ovens will produce a fair bit of moisture in the cabin if used for long periods.

But most of the improved propane heaters, such as those sold by Dickinson (the Newports, for example), have sealed combustion chambers that exhaust all the moisture out of the cabin through a chimney. The chimneys are double-walled, so they also draw air for combustion from outside of the cabin.

Force 10 used to market a little bulkhead propane heater that lacked the sealed combustion chamber. If your only propane heater experience is with that model (now offered by Sigma, I believe), be prepared for a pleasant surprise!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-16-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Cheapest heater is to put a clay flower pot upside down over one of your stove top burners, turn it on low and in no time, you'll have a cozy cabin.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 03-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good way to get CO poisoning too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Cheapest heater is to put a clay flower pot upside down over one of your stove top burners, turn it on low and in no time, you'll have a cozy cabin.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2009

stephenronning is on a distinguished road
Great point John. I had a Dickenson on a 30 ft sailboat I sold right away thinking of avoiding the wetness...now I realize that wouldn't have been an issue. DAHHH!!
I'll use a little red portable heater buddy on my Cal 2-25. I've used them before and they work great! Keep the cabin vented a tad and your good to go.
Stephen
sv Sirius
Seattle