Need help finding a boat, NEW to sailing. - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-15-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Censorship is on a distinguished road
Need help finding a boat, NEW to sailing.

So I have been entertaining the thought of getting a sailboat lately and I really think its something I want to do. With that said, I have NEVER sailed a boat before or know much about it, I will be learning before I actually try to sail,I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and would mostly be sailing in the Gulf of Mexico. In the long run I would like to sail from New Orleans to the Yucatan tip and also to bermuda and the bahamas. Possibly sailing to Europe also but thats not in the NEAR future. I know NOTHING of sailboats or the different kinds or anything . Any advice on length or style or just any tips in general would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 03-15-2009
Irrationally Exuberant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 8
arf145 is on a distinguished road
It might be worth your while to search or browse through the Buying a Boat board here and read all you can. And read all you can in books and other sites too. Someone else might be able to recommend some good texts.

You've chosen a fantastic thing to get into--congratulations and welcome. Have you thought of taking a sailing class locally to get yourself started?
__________________
Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 03-16-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Censorship is on a distinguished road
Well im fairly young and restless, 21, and I manage an small outdoors store, the owner has offer to teach me the basics/intermediates of sailings, he has raced some regattas and what not over the years, but doesnt know about larger 20+ (sleep on board style) sailboats and how they react and all that. I saw that Cornell has a really good book on the world sailing routes that I have already ordered just waiting on it to show up. Im just having trouble narrowing down the boat. Im really not looking to spend over 30k and Im more then willing to put some work into making it sea worthy, I grew up in new england have owned every kind of boat except a sailboat.. So im familiar with the water and the way weather affects the conditions just know nothing of sailboats and how to pick the one that would best suit my needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 03-16-2009
Irrationally Exuberant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 8
arf145 is on a distinguished road
Well, I think most folks are going to need to know more about what your needs are. There are a lot of sailboats out there and a lot of ways to use them! Saying you're a beginner who will sail on the GofM doesn't quite do it. I can say that sailing across the GofM to Yucatan normally suggests more than a coastal cruiser. Your short-term goal of learning to sail and long-term goal of crossing bodies of water might require different boats.

While local, will you have a slip, or will you need a trailerable boat? Do you know where you want to keep the boat, where you will work on it? The more you tell people about your plans, the more likely that they will weigh in with suggestions. And like I said, there is a lot of information out there in the meantime.
__________________
Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 03-16-2009
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend you get John Vigor's Twenty Small Sailboats To Take You Anywhere and look at James Baldwin's Boatlist.
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 03-16-2009
WouldaShoulda's Avatar
AEOLUS II
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: From The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,794
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 7
WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Does anyone join the Navy any more??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 03-16-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Censorship is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Well, I think most folks are going to need to know more about what your needs are. There are a lot of sailboats out there and a lot of ways to use them! Saying you're a beginner who will sail on the GofM doesn't quite do it. I can say that sailing across the GofM to Yucatan normally suggests more than a coastal cruiser. Your short-term goal of learning to sail and long-term goal of crossing bodies of water might require different boats.

While local, will you have a slip, or will you need a trailerable boat? Do you know where you want to keep the boat, where you will work on it? The more you tell people about your plans, the more likely that they will weigh in with suggestions. And like I said, there is a lot of information out there in the meantime.
I actually live about 90mins from the coast, but I live on 10 acres and have TONS of land to put a boat and work on it. And the boat I will be learning to sail on will be around 16-19ft long. Will have 1 large sail and the little 1 behind. I have no idea what its called or this 1 Hobie 16 partly because I can get them for 60% off retail because of where I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 03-17-2009
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Censorship—

Before buying anything, you probably should really learn a bit more about the craft of sailing. I would highly recommend you spend the $16 to buy David Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor, at one of your local bookstores.

I'd also highly recommend you take a basic learn to sail course, like an ASA 101 course. It will give you some experience on a sailboat and give you a fairly solid education on the terms and theory of sailing.

Not knowing anything and then spending money is a good way to waste a lot of money. Buying sails to fit a boat you don't own is really a bad idea.

The big sail is a genoa or gennaker, depending on the weight of the cloth and such. The "little" sail is actually the main sail.
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 03-17-2009
KeelHaulin's Avatar
STARBOARD!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 10
KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censorship View Post
(I) Will have 1 large sail and the little 1 behind.
SD - I think he was saying large sail(boat) and leave the little (sailboat) behind.

I'm going to suggest that you slow down a bit Censorship. Don't buy anything right away. Surely there are some ASA or US Sailing organizations in your area where you can take classes and charter their boats for plenty of sailing time at low cost to your pocket book. Let me say that knowing about boats and power-boating is a good foundation; but it is NOTHING like sailing and using the wind to take you where you would like to go. In most cases people who do not take things seriously with regard to knowing how to sail or how to interperet weather reports end up in serious trouble or lose their life when sailing offshore. It does not take a hurricane to sink a boat; or destroy your sails and leave you stranded in the middle of an ocean.

It can take many years to become experienced enough and knowledgable to undertake an ocean crossing trip. If you did some crewing on boats that are traveling to islands in the carribean or on offshore passages along the coast you would gain more experience before you set out on your own boat (which you should also not do alone on your first voyage). Some people find that getting into the racing circuit as crew also helps them with confidence while sailing and learn about how a boat sails in various conditions.

Please take your decision more seriously than just buying a boat and heading off to an island paradise. It just does not work that way. And one reminder about owning a sailboat is that I was once told: "Owning a sailboat is like taking a cold shower while ripping up 100 dollar bills." So do the OPB (Other People's Boats) thing for a while and save up for the right boat that is well equipped (expensive refits and upgrades paid for by OP) and is mostly "ready" to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 03-17-2009
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
SD - I think he was saying large sail(boat) and leave the little (sailboat) behind.
Umm...no, I don't believe so. He's never sailed before. He's looking at a photo of a Hobie FX One, which shows a Gennaker and a main sail, and the main sail is considerably smaller. If he were talking about boats, he'd probably have said sailboat, not sails...

Quote:
Will have 1 large sail and the little 1 behind.
BTW, I don't really consider the Hobies good boats to learn on. They don't really teach you very much about good sailing habits for cruising boats like a decent dinghy will. They're pretty much overpowered for their size and not good teaching boats for that reason IMHO.

Quote:
I'm going to suggest that you slow down a bit Censorship. Don't buy anything right away. Surely there are some ASA or US Sailing organizations in your area where you can take classes and charter their boats for plenty of sailing time at low cost to your pocket book. Let me say that knowing about boats and power-boating is a good foundation; but it is NOTHING like sailing and using the wind to take you where you would like to go. In most cases people who do not take things seriously with regard to knowing how to sail or how to interperet weather reports end up in serious trouble or lose their life when sailing offshore. It does not take a hurricane to sink a boat; or destroy your sails and leave you stranded in the middle of an ocean.

It can take many years to become experienced enough and knowledgable to undertake an ocean crossing trip. If you did some crewing on boats that are traveling to islands in the carribean or on offshore passages along the coast you would gain more experience before you set out on your own boat (which you should also not do alone on your first voyage). Some people find that getting into the racing circuit as crew also helps them with confidence while sailing and learn about how a boat sails in various conditions.

Please take your decision more seriously than just buying a boat and heading off to an island paradise. It just does not work that way. And one reminder about owning a sailboat is that I was once told: "Owning a sailboat is like taking a cold shower while ripping up 100 dollar bills." So do the OPB (Other People's Boats) thing for a while and save up for the right boat that is well equipped (expensive refits and upgrades paid for by OP) and is mostly "ready" to go.
Fully agree with and advocate the rest of your post though.
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE Yacht Builder List T37Chef Boat Review and Purchase Forum 26 07-08-2011 05:51 AM
Mr. Renovation GoodOldBoat Good Old Boat 2 12-28-2009 02:56 PM
The Search for the First Boat - long learning curves pmoyer Boat Review and Purchase Forum 45 12-20-2008 01:28 AM
Life in the fast lane, well for one day at least... Lancer28 Learning to Sail 8 11-27-2007 10:36 PM
Finding the Family Boat Dan Dickison Buying a Boat Articles 0 09-05-2002 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.