Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009

whateverfun2 is on a distinguished road
Right boat for?

I currently live in Portland,Oregon I trying to find a boat that will fulfill all my needs. I don't currently know how to sail I have been out sailing before maybe 5 or 6 times.

1) I would like a boat that is between 5,000 to 8,000 dollars.
2) I am going to be living on it so I can fix it up I be able to spend 500 a month on repairs and refits for 18 months. I have read a lot of the threads on the forms here and a lot of people say save the money and buy a better boat, I would rather spend 8,000 and fix a boat and during the time I learn how to sail for 18 months then buying a boat that is 16,000 and have no experience.
3)Due to transporting costs of shipping bigger boats should I look nationally for a boat that is a trailer able boat? I have a 1 ton pickup truck to haul it. I only need it hauled to the marina, are there trailers you can rent for such a thing?Or should I wait for a boat that is a good deal in my area?
4)I would like a boat that can go down to the Panama canal and into the Caribbean where I can island hope. I don't care if it is an offshore vessel or a coastal as long as I can get down there.
5) I don't mind living in small spaces. I lived in South America in a 6x8 room with a bathroom so size of living space doesn't matter to me. But I am 6 foot tho the room did have a 8ft ceiling.
6) The boats I have found so far in my price range is..Grampian 26,Pearson 26,Catlaina 25, Bristol 27,Quickstep 24,Cape Dory 25

Thanks again for your input,
Aaron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Standing headroom would be my first requirement in a liveaboard. Of the ones you listed I (at 5'11") can stand up in the Grampian, Pearson, and Bristol. The quickstep, Oday, and Cape Dory I cannot. I would add these to the list, not all are "bluewater" but anything can be if it's outfitted and sailed right:

Bristol 24, 26
O'day 27
Catalina 27
Hunter 27 (75-84)
Pearson Triton 28

I like these boats, but finding them with a trailer might be hard, I've been looking at boats for 3 years straight now and very few in that size have them.
Old 03-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One good boat is the Cape Dory 25D, which does have about 6' of headroom, unlike the Cape Dory 25 which is designed for Oompaloompahs...

Given your limited budget and need to liveaboard the boat, I would highly recommend you find one in your area. Transporting most of the boats capable of doing what you want is going to be a budget buster.

I'd also recommend you look at John Vigor's book, Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere and James Baldwin's pocket cruiser boatlist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-16-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2009

whateverfun2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that website it is really helpful...do you think boats like the columbia 28 or 30 be able to do that trip?
Old 03-18-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
6 x 8 room with an 8ft ceiling.....were you in jail :-O

I think you budget and plan sound ambitious… but doable....good luck.
Old 03-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most of the boats on James Baldwin's list can do what you're looking to do.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-18-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluvic View Post
6 x 8 room with an 8ft ceiling.....were you in jail :-O

I think you budget and plan sound ambitious… but doable....good luck.
LOLOLOLOLOLLLLL...That was my first thought too .....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-18-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
Contessa 26

While it might challenge your budget, and be a little smaller inside than some of the others listed , you might also look for a Contessa 26 for a very capable small blue water boat- I almost bought one but my wife liked the larger cabin for our family/kids (1980 H27 listed), and blue water is not in our future with this boat.

Might be harder to find in your budget, but would be solid off shore given your ambitious cruising plans, and OK given your "acceptance" of small living spaces.
Old 03-18-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverfun2 View Post
I currently live in Portland,Oregon I trying to find a boat that will fulfill all my needs. I don't currently know how to sail I have been out sailing before maybe 5 or 6 times. OK! I'm guessing you liked sailing...

1) I would like a boat that is between 5,000 to 8,000 dollars.
2) I am going to be living on it so I can fix it up I be able to spend 500 a month on repairs and refits for 18 months.Living on a boat WHILE you're fixing it is a bit of a challange I have read a lot of the threads on the forms here and a lot of people say save the money and buy a better boat, I would rather spend 8,000 and fix a boat and during the time I learn how to sail And you probably won't have it in sailing condition while you're fixing it.for 18 months then buying a boat that is 16,000 and have no experience.
3)Due to transporting costs of shipping bigger boats should I look nationally for a boat that is a trailer able boat? I have a 1 ton pickup truck to haul it. I'm wondering why you would need to trailer it if you are living on it. If it is your home, where would you take it?I only need it hauled to the marina, are there trailers you can rent for such a thing?Never heard of one, but it's a big world out thereOr should I wait for a boat that is a good deal in my area?
4)I would like a boat that can go down to the Panama canal and into the Caribbean where I can island hope. I don't care if it is an offshore vessel or a coastal as long as I can get down there.
5) I don't mind living in small spaces. I lived in South America in a 6x8 room with a bathroom so size of living space doesn't matter to me. But I am 6 foot tho the room did have a 8ft ceiling. You're tolerance for small spaces will work well for you
6) The boats I have found so far in my price range is..Grampian 26,Pearson 26,Catlaina 25, Bristol 27,Quickstep 24,Cape Dory 25The 25D, I am sure you mean. Her lines are shown in my Avatar

Thanks again for your input,
Aaron
All-in-all, I say save your money, work hard and go sailing next year. That's all it'll take is a year if you are determined
Old 03-18-2009
Telstar 28

I doubt you'll find a Contessa 26 in that price range.

Telstar 28
New England