Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Recoring... ???

I'm looking at a boat that has the following listed in the description and I need a little help in determining exactly what I should take away from it...

"...The deck walkways were completely recored, new fiberglass skin and paint. All port lights were removed, reglazed, and rebedded with butyl tape. Surrounding areas of ports were recored and injected with epoxy. The rudder was recored, reglassed, and refinished."

I don't know what is involved in "recoring", but I'm assuming it was needed as a result of water intrusion and/or other core rot/breakdown issues. This is on a late seventies Catalina that's within my price range.

Does the description above sound like the actions of a boat owner that's just diligent with maintenance of an older boat. Or should I be concerned that there's some larger long-term systemic issue with the coring of this boat that the owner is just trying to bandage over, which will likely end up being a financial nightmare for the next owner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Soft spots in the deck of a seventies boat are not uncommon and are a cosmetic problem, not a structural problem. When evaluating this area and the ports a clean professional finish usually denotes good work. If the ports are secure, don't leak, and look well-finished; I would accept them. The rudder, of course, is of structural concern. It is not uncommon for delamination (port & starboard) cracks to appear in a old boat. The typical and best repair is to open the rudder; remove damaged core material; check for corrosion of the post and tangs. If the metals are sound, the rudder can be successfully rebuilt with fiberglass cloth tabbed over the original seam. Often, rudders rebuilt in this manner are stronger than what comes from the factory. I think a survey for purchase is always a good idea. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend walking away from this boat. It says:

Quote:
Surrounding areas of ports were recored and injected with epoxy.
Epoxy injection rarely is a good solution. If they recored the area around the ports, why would they need to inject epoxy if it was done properly???

Also, the quality of the recoring job can vary a lot... and without knowing who did the work and what kind of quality of work they do, it can mean that the work may have to be redone in short order, if it wasn't done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
I'm looking at a boat that has the following listed in the description and I need a little help in determining exactly what I should take away from it...

"...The deck walkways were completely recored, new fiberglass skin and paint. All port lights were removed, reglazed, and rebedded with butyl tape. Surrounding areas of ports were recored and injected with epoxy. The rudder was recored, reglassed, and refinished."

I don't know what is involved in "recoring", but I'm assuming it was needed as a result of water intrusion and/or other core rot/breakdown issues. This is on a late seventies Catalina that's within my price range.

Does the description above sound like the actions of a boat owner that's just diligent with maintenance of an older boat. Or should I be concerned that there's some larger long-term systemic issue with the coring of this boat that the owner is just trying to bandage over, which will likely end up being a financial nightmare for the next owner?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
If the repairs are not apparent, especially the decks...then they are well done and what you have is a boat with some expensive work completed...making it more attractive than the many boats for sale with similar work either not done at all or done in a DIY hack.

So to me, these repairs IF WELL DONE are a plus or at least not a negative...as long as a diligent survey signs off on the current status of the the boat.
Old 03-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Whether the repairs are cosmetically apparent have little to do with whether they are structurally sound. The finish and fit of the repairs could be perfect, but doesn't say anything about how strong the repair is.

As an example, one of my friends is a food prep artist for photographers... and she makes a beautiful turkey for the holiday photos... it looks perfect... However, if I were invited to eat her cooking, I'd hesitate. Her turkeys are usually raw, browned with a blowtorch and coated with motor oil... Not exactly edible—regardless of how good they look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
If the repairs are not apparent, especially the decks...then they are well done and what you have is a boat with some expensive work completed...making it more attractive than the many boats for sale with similar work either not done at all or done in a DIY hack.

So to me, these repairs IF WELL DONE are a plus or at least not a negative...as long as a diligent survey signs off on the current status of the the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-20-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
I understand that repairs can be done well and they can be done poorly. So the work is definitely something I'll have examined by a professional surveyor if this boat becomes a serious candidate for purchase.

But is the consensus here that Recoring work (in general), isn't an unusual repair to see done for the upkeep of any late 70's early 80's boat? Or should I be concerned that these repairs were necessary at all?

I just want to know if it's worth my time to go look at this boat, or if I should write it off my list of potential candidates.
Old 03-20-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Just another opinion but from my own experience re-coring in boats this age on deck is pretty common. As for whether you should walk away from it or not would depend on having a professional look at the work and the price of the boat. I would not walk away for this reason alone.

From your post it says the decks were completely recored. That tends to lead to a positive instead of a touch up job. People have a tendency to only recore areas of heavy damage and leave trapped moister behind. I can also understand the injection of epoxy around the port lights along with re-coring, this based on my own experience.

As to the rudder I can not offer any help as I have had no experience in that type of rebuild.

Again it all comes down to the quality of work. That along with price and condition of the remainder of the boat.
Old 03-20-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You have a boat that was heavily water damaged and subsequently repaired. You have no warranty from the repairer, no way to tell how well or thoroughly they were done.

So the question is...do you want to gamble on the quality of that job? Or just walk away?

I'd say RUN away, because if the boat needed that much work, it was not getting routine maintenance to keep the water out--and that says there probably are other things (like routine oil changes and a dry bilge) that were also ignored.

Still...if the price is right and the work looks perfectly done, sometimes a gambler wins.

"Do ya feel lucky today?" [Dirty Harry]
Old 03-20-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But is the consensus here that Recoring work (in general), isn't an unusual repair to see done for the upkeep of any late 70's early 80's boat? Or should I be concerned that these repairs were necessary at all?
It's very common. If done well, then it's nothing to worry about.

Old 03-20-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
It's very common. If done well, then it's nothing to worry about.

I agree. Rudder and deck re-coring are quite common on this vintage. A competent surveyor can tell you if the job is well done or not. This is not a reason to walk away.

Last edited by boatpoker; 03-20-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.