Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009

captainVT is on a distinguished road
Contest 30 info (by Conyplex)

Looking for info on / review of 1969 Contest 30 (by Conyplex) or contact with owners.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The builder only makes good boats! Don't know the 30...but they have always had a great reputation for building high quality boats.
Old 03-20-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I had an "interesting" experience with Contest 33. Let's just say that at least one of these boats is NOT built as well as their reputation suggests. I had some conversations with Dick Zaal (original designer of Contests of that era) and he seemed to agree with me on that point.

It really isn't important what the issue was (though it was *extremely* critical to safety and integrity of the boat, and was caused by original poor build) - just want to underscore that it is paramount to get a survey and not rely on "reputation" of a boat or company.

(That said, my surveyor missed the issue, as critical as it was, or rather noted it but did not realize the severity - though in all honesty it was difficult to do externally and took a lot of digging to realize later on).
Old 03-20-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
My father has one, he's had it forever. Sails like a dream, very responsive and solid as a rock. The interior is beautiful wood and Dutch tile. He just had it repowered last year, put a Yanmar in to replace the old Volvo. The only problem I recall is that the traveler in the cockpit ripped out one day, can't remember what caused it, but it was a simple repair. Very nice boat, comfortable and it's done well in the club races. Dad sails it single handed most of the time. He's 87 and he loves that boat.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-20-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I 2sd what jrd22 said! I aways been impressed with your dads boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2009

steve301 is on a distinguished road
Contest 30 info

Hi -- I own a 1972 Contest 30, Mk II. I would be glad to tell you about the boat. What would you like to know?
Steve
Old 03-21-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I have owned a Contest 29 (1967) for about 10 years and love the boat. Sails great and has a lovely interior. I presently have her on the hard while completeing a fullrefit and restoration and have her for sale on sailnet. I have finaaly decided tomove up to a larger boat more conducive to my liveaboard lifestyle. I can answer many questions aftewr having her apart from stem to stern and if you want to , you can contact me with any questions you may have. I also have a full size copy of the originakl deck plans from conyplex if you want to have me make you a copy. best of luck with your Contest, Rick
Old 03-21-2009

The posts have confirmed general quality that available, but limited, research as suggested. This particular boat still retains its original wooden mast, however, it is in excellent condition with annual maintenance by current owner. Overall, the boat is in excellent condition, still has atomic 4, but also in good shape.

As info is limited for research, I was just wondering about general stability with the high cabin top and any risk areas on the boat to watch out for (will have survey done).

Wooden mast is a concern in the long run (great shape as noted, I inspected mast for cracks, etc., as mast is down for winter maintenance), but researching with local shipyard for estimate of replacement if the mast were to fail.
Old 03-21-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
My 1967 Contest 29 ,which is virually identical exceept for the bottom (full keel) and still has it's original wooden stick which is still in great shape. Like most things concerning boats , it is all about maintenence. If your mast has been maintained and is in good shape now there is no reason why youe shouold have any trouble with it. Just keep it varnished, I took mine down (completely stripped it ) and gave it fourteen coats of varnish, it looks georgeous and always gets alot of nice comments. ALso, if you have any trouble spots with it, wood is very easy to repair. Rick
Old 03-21-2009

Thanks, this has all been very helpful.

midnightsailor - if I go through with purchase, I will be in touch re: deckplans and insight on refit. It is essentially bare bones w/limited electrical and nav, so will have projects, but is totally ready for the water.