Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't worry too much about gelcoat cracks on the deck of C&C of that vintage. I just would be very careful about soft spots and get a good survey.

Also, if you haven't fixed up an old boat yourself, I would caution that it tends to cost more than you expect and, in the long run, it is usually cheaper to pay more for one that has already had the work done.

Oh, and I had a very good experience with a similar Yanmar on my C&C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
What do you make of this...?

Ok, I made my 3rd trip to see the boat today and I got a copy of its last 2003 survey, which didn't appear to be too extensive. But I noticed something today that hadn't caught my eye before and I'd like to get some opinions

When I was walking around the boat and looking down the hull, I noticed shallow, but noticeable vertical indentations amidship on both sides of the hull going from the water line upward about 2.5 feet. I'd say they were about 3-4" wide and when I knocked on them with my knuckles, there was a definite lack of resonance as compared to the rest of the hull.

At first I thought it had been t-boned and repaired until I noticed it was on both sides. And then it wasn't until I got home and zoomed in on the pictures I've been taking during each visit, that I noticed both of these indentations line up with the Chainplates/Shrouds. There's a big vertical glassed in mounting bracket that can be seen on the inside of the hull where the chainplates are anchored that's right behind where these external indentations are.

Is this normal, or something I should be concerned about?
Old 03-30-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
Is this normal, or something I should be concerned about?
Those dimples indicate that the rig has been over-tensioned, I've seen them on a number of raced boats, including another C&C30. That condition deserves close review by a professional, I don't know whether the problem is a throw-out or not, more subject material calling for an expert surveyor. i would suspect they might factor into the relatively attractive price of the boat (again, the challenge in buying a boat is to get what you pay for...).

I know the owner of the dimpled C&C 30 set the boat up on the hard with an auto jack cranked up between the knees to push out the dimples, I don't know how that turned out.
Old 03-30-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Question Any Pro Bono Surveyor's here on Sailnet?

Would anyone that's actually a surveyor here consider taking 5 minutes to read through the 51 defects I've found on this boat and give me a quick objective opinion (via private email) as to what a reasonable offer would be based on what I've found and/or whether I should give this particular boat a pass?

It's a 1-1/4 page numbered list word document. If you'd be willing to help out, just PM me with your regular email address and I'll be happy to send the list to you.

Last edited by backcreeksailor; 03-30-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Would anyone that's actually a surveyor here consider taking 5 minutes to read through the 51 defects I've found on this boat and give me a quick objective opinion (via private email) as to what a reasonable offer would be based on what I've found and/or whether I should give this particular boat a pass?
You're asking someone to work for you for free. What would you do if a stranger came up to you and asked you to spend two or three hours of your time helping them for nothing ??

I'll be brashly honest here. If you only have 12K you can't afford a 30 foot boat. 30 foot boats cost about 30 thousand dollars and upwards. If someone is selling a well-known and well-respected vessel for so much below market value it is because the boat needs a lot of work. It will cost you far, far more than you can realise to bring that boat up to snuff.

If it was an amazing deal it would never have been on the market long enough for you to find it.

Take the money that you have and buy a decent 22 footer. You'll have enough left over to buy the things that it will need, and maintain it properly for a few years. When you have $30,000.00 to spend AND another $5,000.00 a year (absolute minimum) to keep the boat going, buy a 30 footer.

Good Luck !
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... reading it might take five minutes, but a decent reply is surely going to take at least an hour, given your 51 defects...either do a pre-survey inspection yourself, and determine whether the boat is worthy of getting a survey on, or pass on it. Don't ask people to work for free.

Quote:

It's a 1-1/4 page numbered list word document. If you'd be willing to help out, just PM me with your regular email address and I'll be happy to send the list to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
wow, if this boat had tires you would be kicking them flat.
3 visits to the boat and still no survey?
Old 03-31-2009

Quote:

BCS: Invest in a survey. There is such a thing as being penny wise. And remember the asking price for the boat. That price already reflects that the boat may need some substantial work.

You wouldn't ask for free medical or legal advice on the internet, would you? A survey could be the best few hundred bucks you'll ever invest.

Last edited by CBinRI; 03-31-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

I was asking for 5 minutes worth of someone's time and an opinion, nothing more. And I had no intention of using any response I got back in lieu of an actual survey.

If I'm over kicking the tires, it's just because I don't part with large sums of money for anything without really doing my homework first. And since this will be the first sailboat I've ever purchased, there was a lot of homework to do so that I could be reasonably knowledgeable before making an offer.
Old 03-31-2009

It sounds like you are definitely doing your homework but that you have reached the point where you need the help of a professional. I hope it works out for you. I had a C&C of that vintage and it was a great boat. Good luck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.