Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
The C&C 30 Mark I is a wonderful boat,...
$12k for a C&C 30 would be a lot of boat for little money, I would expect the boat to need some work or upgrades as models of that age typically list for twice that price. So don't expect perfection, you are buying onto a quality boat at a budget price, there'll be reasons why.
I just gotta pull that quote back down, even though it's mine.

I strongly recommend you take a week's break on this boat, and go and see several other C&C 30's, especially one of the mid-$20K price examples. There's is no substitute for building your own perspective about the boat in hand. You may decide that spending more money upfront is the right way to go, or confirm that the boat you've been looking at is worth taking some risks, even as you find out what they'll cost you.

See 2 or 3 other C&C 30s and you'll establish some personal, informed comfort about the right direction for this boat.
Old 03-31-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
I was asking for 5 minutes worth of someone's time and an opinion, nothing more. And I had no intention of using any response I got back in lieu of an actual survey.

If I'm over kicking the tires, it's just because I don't part with large sums of money for anything without really doing my homework first. And since this will be the first sailboat I've ever purchased, there was a lot of homework to do so that I could be reasonably knowledgeable before making an offer.
Do you ask your mechanic to take time and diagnose your car over the net?
Your asking for a free professional opinon that will take alot more than 5 minutes if the answer is worth anything.let the surveyer do your homework for you.
You can/should pay to have a professional go thru the boat with you and ask all the questions you like and do it fast because if the boat is any good it wont be around long for that price.
Without viewing the boat anything someone tells you is useless.
If your worried about the money there is no better way to protect yourself.
The 30 is a great boat and for a 12k price tag you should jump on it if the survey checks out.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 03-31-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As I said, reading the document may take 5 minutes, but any reply that has anything of value in it is going to take considerably more time... and asking someone to spend their time to do so is an imposition.

If you're having serious questions about the boat, that is probably a good indication that you should walk away. The exceptionally low asking price tends to indicate that there is likely something or several somethings wrong with the boat, as if there were not something seriously wrong with the boat, it would not still be on the market.

Quote:
I was asking for 5 minutes worth of someone's time and an opinion, nothing more. And I had no intention of using any response I got back in lieu of an actual survey.

If I'm over kicking the tires, it's just because I don't part with large sums of money for anything without really doing my homework first. And since this will be the first sailboat I've ever purchased, there was a lot of homework to do so that I could be reasonably knowledgeable before making an offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-02-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Offer accepted... Surveyor being scheduled...

Stay tuned... ;-)
Old 04-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
In stead of staring at the boat of yuour immediate desire this weekend, I still thinkj you should spinn around and see another one or two other C&C 30s.

You will either confirm you are on the right track, or learn something worth learning.
Old 04-03-2009

Csobanc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Offer accepted... Surveyor being scheduled...

Stay tuned... ;-)
I am too will be in the market to buy my first boat... Since I spent the last 20 some mins reading the thread, would you tell us what the $$$ was you offered and what the contingent accepted price is? Maybe you could post some pictures of the boat as well...

Regards.
Old 04-03-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
In stead of staring at the boat of yuour immediate desire this weekend, I still thinkj you should spinn around and see another one or two other C&C 30s.

You will either confirm you are on the right track, or learn something worth learning.
Honestly, I've looked around... ALOT... And there just aren't any reasonably close C&C 30's on the market right now. Anything else out there for sale would require either overland shipping or one hell of a coastal cruise to get it back to Annapolis.

And before you ask... Yes, I've looked at lots of other 30 footers from other manufacturers, both online and up close and personal. But most of what I found were cruisers not racer/cruisers, (going on average PHRF numbers for a rough guide on potential speed).

But price-wise, I think I did a good job of getting the owner to accept a fair offer when comparing the condition of this boat to the other C&C 30's I saw online.

And to answer the last poster... Since the deal hasn't actually gone through yet, I don't think it's a good idea to be posting prices or pictures in public forums just yet.
Old 01-21-2011
Panhandle Sailor

dreuge is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I recently read through this post, and I am curious now that much time has passed, how thing have turned out.
Old 01-21-2011
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

I knew the owner had already purchased another boat and this one was sitting on the hard for what was about to be the second season in a row. So I actually made a low ball offer of 10k and the owner accepted it.

She's been rechristened "Rum Monkey" and she's spent the last two seasons out on the bay with relatively no substantial expenses necessary other than the elbow grease of cleaning her up inside & out, putting some new varnish on the outside teak, and standard upkeep maintenance for a Yanmar.

Life is Good ! ;-)