Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Well what you are contemplating is what I did this past year. I had no luck finding an outfit that could/would haul my boat the distance I needed, so I was stuck with the flatdeck method, and a crane on my end. The crane is going to be around a thousand dollars, to pick it straight up, and put it straight down. The crane weighs 10 X what your boat does. The crane guy is going to want a SOLID base. You should be thinking about 6" of road base minimum, depending on soil conditions. Have ALOT of dunnage on hand to level the boat. A simple pick and put will still take 4 hours, unless you have lots of hands helping. Cranes around here charge by a 4 hr minimum. They also add additional charges to supply spreader bars that somehow don't come with the crane, or estimate, but are needed nonetheless. After enjoying working on your boat close to home, someone, will complain to the city bylaws, and you may get to move it again! I had to. Before I moved it, I had bylaws tell me that my new location was ok. When you get a quote from your mover guy, RECORD HIS QUOTE ON VIDEO BEFORE HE STARTS. The charge for moving my boat increased by 50% after he had unloaded it. The video saved me.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd hesitate to use a field.... the chances of the ground not being densely packed enough and getting soggy enough for the stands to shift is pretty high. You're much better off if you can put the boat down on firmly packed gravel or concrete instead.

Most cranes will not be able to lift 20,000 too far off axis... so the distance from the road you'd be able to put the boat would be fairly limited. IMHO, you better off putting in a concrete pad and using a hydraulic trailer.

Also, getting the quote on video is a great idea, but getting it in writing is usually sufficient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
RECORD HIS QUOTE ON VIDEO BEFORE HE STARTS. The charge for moving my boat increased by 50% after he had unloaded it. The video saved me.
This is so true, not a lot of honest guys out there. First people I hired used a low boy flat bed and the very first bridge they came to, they had to turn back. The boat was too tall. buyer beware.
Old 03-25-2009

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Lauching our boat actually required two cranes. A small first crane laid down matting on shifty soil for the second crane.
Old 03-25-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Considering moving a boat over land and putting it into a field is very disconcerting.

You should learn something every day and that's what I learned today.

Please support my
Old 03-25-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Picasa Web Albums - jan - Seabird II

Moving my step dads boat, very easy with a trailer described by Jeff and John!

Marty